Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The police fight back

The police fight back

Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default The police fight back

Aren't you proud of the boys in Blue?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21154420-2,00.html

G
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:11 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The police fight back

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Cant comment on the standard of police in Queensland but in Victoria I admire the way the handled themselves in the recent G8 summit.

We had to drive through a blockade and they were dealing with nothing short of animals. No moral issues were being defended - just a chance for violence and mahem.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit puzzled to be honest... they should know that a charge doesn't mean anything. First it needs to be decided in the magistrates court if there's enough evidence for a case; if there is and they go to court, then there has to be enough evidence to say that he did/didn't do it for a conviction/aquittal....

if those rules are good enough for the rest of us, then why aren't they good enough for the police??

and I'll tell you what else..... if they do get cameras in police cells (and I believe they should) then they should NOT be incahrge of recording and storage of the tapes. Tapes can just as easily show what did happened, as they can be turned off so there's no evidence of other things happening.

Last edited by YoSemite; Feb 1st 2007 at 8:29 am.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:44 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know how a tape would have prevented the man's death. He still would have died, but they'd have had a nice record of it to watch after. It's purely negligent they didn't get him looked at by a doctor straight away.

I personally support the cab idea... The cabbies would be making a mint.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I am sort of with the police on this. For Beattie to turn the whole appalling incident into a political hammer is wrong and yes I know that's what they do all the time but when the first report from the QLD DPP came out saying there was not enough evidence he was happy enough to accept that.

Now with the election looming, it becomes a political matter. He is not prepared to put more money into the police but he expects them to do their job - and an incredibly difficult job at that with regards the Aborigines without the resources they require.

The policeman who kicked the guy to death should be tried, but the way it's been managed has been stupid.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YoSemite
I'm a bit puzzled to be honest... they should know that a charge doesn't mean anything. First it needs to be decided in the magistrates court if there's enough evidence for a case; if there is and they go to court, then there has to be enough evidence to say that he did/didn't do it for a conviction/aquittal....

if those rules are good enough for the rest of us, then why aren't they good enough for the police??

and I'll tell you what else..... if they do get cameras in police cells (and I believe they should) then they should NOT be incahrge of recording and storage of the tapes. Tapes can just as easily show what did happened, as they can be turned off so there's no evidence of other things happening.
If you really are that sceptical then perhaps a digital system would be more to your liking?
I really dont think that the tapes would be turned off at any stage - that's the point of the call for 24hr surveillance.
The police are always dead keen on CCTV because it exhonerates officers in 99.9% of cases.
I'm always reassured that my actions are being recorded on an audio and visual system when I'm in custody - complaints don't tend to last long.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Well they really aren't asking much are they? They are asking for CCTV in cell blocks which is standard in all UK cell blocks and for the judicial process to be kept free from political interference, something which is enshrined in law in the UK.
I agree with them - this whole issue would have been resolved a long time ago if there had been CCTV of the incident. The officer would have been convicted or exhonerated by now.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:48 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thebears
Cant comment on the standard of police in Queensland but in Victoria I admire the way the handled themselves in the recent G8 summit.

We had to drive through a blockade and they were dealing with nothing short of animals. No moral issues were being defended - just a chance for violence and mahem.
The mob in Victoria love the co-operative nature of the local police.