Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Police Checks Again?

Police Checks Again?

Old May 4th 2006, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Police Checks Again?

Hi to all, can anybody tell me if they have done more than one Police check?
We received ours back and clear in February but have not had a request for our medicals as yet we assume that it will be this month or next :scared:
Our house was put up for sale in Feb and we have had one viewing (but the buggers have gone and put an offer in for one down the road from us).
I am panicking that we may have to go and activate our visas (if we ever get them) and then come back to the UK. My husband keeps saying don't worry but he is so laid back he is almost horizontal. I know everybody else on the site has had the wait etc but just wondered if anybody had done another police check to give a couple of extra months.
Thanks in anticipation of any replies.
Old May 4th 2006, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Police Checks Again?

Once you receive a request for a mdeical, you will then be asked for the right of permanent residency fee(you're lucky - it's been halved!!), an updated police check (sorry!) and all this has to be done within 90 days using one of the panel of approved doctors - see the CHC website. Once they receive the details of your medicals, you'll then be given a decision/visas within a couple of months - shouldn't be more than that as a medical itself can be seen as a decision in principal. If they wanted to reject you, they'd have done it without requirng a medical first.
Following the issuing of visas, they'll be valid for ONE year from the date of your medicals, leaving you probably with about 8-10 months to use them. If they are not used, you'll have to apply all over again.

Hope this clears things up for you.
Sid
Old May 4th 2006, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold
Red face Re: Police Checks Again?

Hi again,

Sorry! My bad ... I assumed this was the Canada forum! I just noticed the name 'Australia' in the top corner .. d'oh!

Sid
Old May 4th 2006, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Checks Again?

Originally Posted by lousid
Hi again,

Sorry! My bad ... I assumed this was the Canada forum! I just noticed the name 'Australia' in the top corner .. d'oh!

Sid
Hi

Welcome to Australia
Old May 4th 2006, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahampaula
We received ours back and clear in February but have not had a request for our medicals as yet we assume that it will be this month or next :scared:
Our house was put up for sale in Feb and we have had one viewing (but the buggers have gone and put an offer in for one down the road from us).
I am panicking that we may have to go and activate our visas (if we ever get them) and then come back to the UK. My husband keeps saying don't worry but he is so laid back he is almost horizontal. I know everybody else on the site has had the wait etc but just wondered if anybody had done another police check to give a couple of extra months.
Try not to panic just yet. See how things are when you get your meds request. If you still haven't sold your house then get them done again.

It is so stressful and you imagine everything will go wrong, but I am sure that it will all come together in the end.
Old May 4th 2006, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Police Checks Again?

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hi

Welcome to Australia
Actually, this is a cool site, too. Maybe we've made a mistake and should be thinking of joining you lot instead ...?

I'll talk to the missus...
Sid
Old May 4th 2006, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant future

hi
we have much the same timeline as you sk47 sent 10/01 ack 16/01
and also done our pcc at end of feb..we got a co and med requests 02/05
so i shouldnt think yours should be far off..
as we are in scotland selling property is far quicker hoping to sell end of may be out (with a visa fingers crossed) in august....I think you be fine, all it takes is for one person to love the house and you have 9months plus...
But if its stressing you i'd do another set to send with meds to give you that bit of space after all whats an extra £20 for peace of mind....

good luck with the house

xxx
Old May 4th 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lousid
Hi again,

Sid
Hi thanks for the information but please do not confuse me any more as it doesn't take a lot at the moment
Have you spoke to your wife yet and told her about your plan b
Old May 4th 2006, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WendyC
Try not to panic just yet. See how things are when you get your meds request. If you still haven't sold your house then get them done again.

It is so stressful and you imagine everything will go wrong, but I am sure that it will all come together in the end.
Thanks Wendy I feel better already, they say that a problem shared is a problem halfed (it might also have something to do with the three I have had) at least I should sleep well.
Old May 4th 2006, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Wendy I feel better already, they say that a problem shared is a problem halfed (it might also have something to do with the three I have had) at least I should sleep well.

The market is picking up in Bradford a little now. So you should be OK.
Old May 4th 2006, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Police Checks Again?

Hi thanks for the information but please do not confuse me any more as it doesn't take a lot at the moment
Have you spoke to your wife yet and told her about your plan b
Hi again,

You lot are a friendly bunch! I like all the references to beer swilling. Very Aussie! No, I haven't spoken to her yet for fear of the last three years of waiting for our Canadian dream to come crashing down around my head, most probably in the form of a solid (Australian) Ash cricket bat. I think I'll leave it for a bit ... but I will definitely pop back to this forum to glean more about the other side of the world. As serial movers, it could just be a good spot for us one day ...
Sid