Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Police Check Forms ?

Police Check Forms ?

Old Jan 30th 2002, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have been told to sort out my Police Clearance and Medicals. I was given a form at my local Police Station that looks like a fairly standard Data Protection Act form requesting any info held about me on Police Computers. Problem is, it says on the front of the form that:

" Exercising your right....(under the DPA)... will NOT provide you with a certificate of good conduct or Police Clearance Certificate"

It seems to be requesting the same info but says on the fron that its NOT what I need ! I'm confused !

Also, I am applying in the Family Stream (my wife is Australian) how long to wait once the Police and Medicals have been posted back to London ?

Thanks for any info anyone can offer....
Old Jan 31st 2002, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gareth W
Hi,

I have been told to sort out my Police Clearance and Medicals. I was given a form at my local Police Station that looks like a fairly standard Data Protection Act form requesting any info held about me on Police Computers. Problem is, it says on the front of the form that:

" Exercising your right....(under the DPA)... will NOT provide you with a certificate of good conduct or Police Clearance Certificate"

It seems to be requesting the same info but says on the fron that its NOT what I need ! I'm confused !

Also, I am applying in the Family Stream (my wife is Australian) how long to wait once the Police and Medicals have been posted back to London ?

Thanks for any info anyone can offer....
It sounds to me like you have the right form.

I waited about 3-4 weeks for my UK clearance to be sent to me. I lodged my application and had the interview without the police clearances (was waiting for Australian as well - it took about 2 weeks), once they arrived in the post I took them down to the DIMA, I was given 60 days to get the forms to DIMA once the application had been lodged. Quite miraculously the letter of acceptance was sent to me the day after I handed over the clearances (and a bit more proof of the time we had been together which they had requested).

Good luck with it all.

Nara
Old Jan 31st 2002, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Gareth, I vaguely remember reading that sort of statement on our police letter too. It's sounds like you've got the right form though, it took about 3 weeks for Scotland Yard to send the police certificates back. I sent certified copies to Adelaide, but they later asked us for the originals, so you might want to consider sending the originals anyway and keeping a copy for yourself.

And then when they asked us to go for our medicals, we were also sent an additional form to fill in - P80 "Personal Particulars for Character Assessment". Just a repeat of details already given mainly, with two additions: we had to give details of all addresses for the past 10 years, and places of birth of our parents (which of course we didn't know so we had to ask them - like it isn't difficult enough trying to keep this whole emigration thing secret anyway!)

If you can get hold of a form P80 from the Immigration website, it might be worth downloading it and sending it anyway to help speed things up.