Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Points for specific work experience

Points for specific work experience

Old Jun 14th 2002, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

strewth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Points for specific work experience

I was just wondering if I want to qualify for an extra 5 points for my specific work experience, are references dating back three years enough to prove that I have worked in the IT sector for that amount of time or do I have to get assessed again?

I have already been assessed as "suitable" by the ACS but I am still short 5 points because I didn't get MODL approval. As I have only 2.5 years experience in IT, I plan to apply in 6 months time.

However, I was not given a "Job Title" by the ACS under which to apply. I have worked in three different jobs in the past 2.5 years, all in the IT field (technical support, software testing, web development).

What are my chances???

Thanks in advance....
Old Jun 17th 2002, 4:14 pm
Jaj

Default Re: Points for specific work experience

3 years experience in IT should be enough to get points for work experience. But it
needs to be after the deeming date on your ACS assessment to count.

Your work experience for DIMIA purposes is assessed by your case officer after
application, not by the ACS.

Jeremy

>On 14 Jun 2002 13:20:58 GMT, strewth <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was just wondering if I want to qualify for an extra 5 points for my specific work
    >experience, are references dating back three years enough to prove that I have
    >worked in the IT sector for that amount of time or do I have to get assessed again?
    >
    >I have already been assessed as "suitable" by the ACS but I am still short 5 points
    >because I didn't get MODL approval. As I have only 2.5 years experience in IT, I
    >plan to apply in 6 months time.
    >
    >However, I was not given a "Job Title" by the ACS under which to apply. I have
    >worked in three different jobs in the past 2.5 years, all in the IT field (technical
    >support, software testing, web development).
    >
    >What are my chances???
    >
    >Thanks in advance....
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 20th 2003, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jeremy,
can you clarify what you said below? If my experience needs to be after the deeming date, what does that mean? I have worked in IT since Nov 1999. I got my "suitable" assessment from the ACS last May. I'm hoping to get the extra 5 points for specific work experience.
thanks,
Strewth

Originally posted by Jaj
3 years experience in IT should be enough to get points for work experience. But it
needs to be after the deeming date on your ACS assessment to count.

Your work experience for DIMIA purposes is assessed by your case officer after
application, not by the ACS.

Jeremy

>On 14 Jun 2002 13:20:58 GMT, strewth <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was just wondering if I want to qualify for an extra 5 points for my specific work
    >experience, are references dating back three years enough to prove that I have
    >worked in the IT sector for that amount of time or do I have to get assessed again?
    >
    >I have already been assessed as "suitable" by the ACS but I am still short 5 points
    >because I didn't get MODL approval. As I have only 2.5 years experience in IT, I
    >plan to apply in 6 months time.
    >
    >However, I was not given a "Job Title" by the ACS under which to apply. I have
    >worked in three different jobs in the past 2.5 years, all in the IT field (technical
    >support, software testing, web development).
    >
    >What are my chances???
    >
    >Thanks in advance....
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Old Mar 20th 2003, 12:47 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by strewth
can you clarify what you said below? If my experience needs to be after the deeming date, what does that mean? I have worked in IT since Nov 1999. I got my "suitable" assessment from the ACS last May. I'm hoping to get the extra 5 points for specific work experience.
Since your ACS assessment was pre-Oct 2002, you need to mention if you went through RPL or regular skills assessment.

If RPL, you would have been given a date (not your assessment date) that the ACS said something like "deemed to have obtained the qualification on ..." or "met requirements on ...". That would be your deeming date.

Peter
Old Mar 21st 2003, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Hi Peter,
I didn't go through RPL, just the regular assessment.
I wasn't given a deeming date. It just says that I am suitable and that the letter is valid for twelve months from the date on it.

Originally posted by ptlabs
Since your ACS assessment was pre-Oct 2002, you need to mention if you went through RPL or regular skills assessment.

If RPL, you would have been given a date (not your assessment date) that the ACS said something like "deemed to have obtained the qualification on ..." or "met requirements on ...". That would be your deeming date.

Peter
Old Mar 21st 2003, 2:26 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by strewth
Hi Peter,
I didn't go through RPL, just the regular assessment.
I wasn't given a deeming date. It just says that I am suitable and that the letter is valid for twelve months from the date on it.
I can say with a fair degree of certainty that if your degree was assessed as being comparable to an Australian bachelor's degree with a major in computing using the pre-Oct 2002 guidelines, all your post-degree IT work experience will most likely be considered by DIMIA.

Peter