Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Point Cook - don't bother

Point Cook - don't bother

Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:22 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Point Cook - don't bother

Whether you have a sense of humour or not, this is a genuine post. Ages ago we considere Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes, after visiting there for 5 minutes I would not even advise my mother in law to live there. It might be cheap, but how much would you epect to pay for a house on the snaake infested marshland / fllod plain next to the sewer outlet for Melbourne. It's not in the city or in the country, it's on the spare bit of land which didn't have any houses that was nearest to the city. Hence cheap. It's worth noting that houses prices in Sanctuary Lakes had dropped more than any other suburb from 2004-2005 if my memory serves me right from the article in the paper a few weeks ago.

If this saves 1 person from admiring the lovely houses at PC (point cook (for the slower ones amongst us)) on realstate.com.au then I hope its worth it. I here Williamstown has lovely marine but they don't serve Brown Ale there.

Troll: my arse
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Point Cook - don't bother

One thing that you can get down at sanctuary lakes, is houses that a fair few people reading this site could only dream about getting, but actually afford.
It's also one of the few area's of Melbourne, that actually builds, these very upmarket houses.

By that I mean Island houses, as in on a small Island (sure it may be swampy marshland in some peoples eyes) with windows that span two floors, rooftop terraces, entertainment balconies, home theatre rooms, courtyard gardens, IE: the garden is in the centre of the house surrounded by windows etc etc, indoor massive water features. Very large and luxurious houses in other words. they start at circa 650,000 AUD, and go through to 1.4 mill Sanctuary Lakes is comparatively close to the city as well, with a 20 minute drive to the cbd easily achievable.

It is very affordable housing down there. Sort of place where you would love your house, but maybe not the area.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baconmaster
Whether you have a sense of humour or not, this is a genuine post. Ages ago we considere Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes, after visiting there for 5 minutes I would not even advise my mother in law to live there. It might be cheap, but how much would you epect to pay for a house on the snaake infested marshland / fllod plain next to the sewer outlet for Melbourne. It's not in the city or in the country, it's on the spare bit of land which didn't have any houses that was nearest to the city. Hence cheap. It's worth noting that houses prices in Sanctuary Lakes had dropped more than any other suburb from 2004-2005 if my memory serves me right from the article in the paper a few weeks ago.

If this saves 1 person from admiring the lovely houses at PC (point cook (for the slower ones amongst us)) on realstate.com.au then I hope its worth it. I here Williamstown has lovely marine but they don't serve Brown Ale there.

The land at Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes wasn't residential land because it wasn't zoned residential land. It was zoned industrial (Cheetham Salt Works in the case of SL's) or agricultural (in the case of PC). Cheetham Salt Works were closed and sold off early 90's. A guy flew in from Malaysia, drove there from Tullamarine and bought it on the spot for a 'Florida style' residential development based around a Greg Norman golf course. It is now SL's.

A relative of mine had a couple of farms where the PC residential development is. She died and the farms were sold off and now it is being filled in quickly with houses.

Skeleton Creek is not Melbourne's sewer outlet and the former marshland has been drained and lakes built. Could be why they called it Sanctuary Lakes?Any snakes will move away with urbanisation (must have seen a lot in 5 minutes and you know how to frighten people on BE's).

I suspect SL's price falls might be tied up with post twin towers as fewer wealthy Asian businessmen invest in upmarket property near a golf course. Simple supply and demand is at work here too, new land releases and rapid building at SL's puts a dampener on prices. I suspect in the long term people who buy there will be glad they got it at affordable prices. Similar houses would cost you 7 figures elsewhere.

I'd suggest to anyone that they don't make an instant judgement and look in a bit more depth because the property is good value. SL's and PC are rapidly acquiring primary and secondary schools, shops, medical facilities etc and nearby Hoppers Crossing is getting the biggest shopping centre in Australia.

Oh and the bottle shop in Ferguson St, Williamstown sells Newcastle Brown Ale!

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Nov 25th 2005 at 1:04 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:18 am

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The land at Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes wasn't residential land because it wasn't zoned residential land. It was zoned industrial (Cheetham Salt Works in the case of SL's) or agricultural (in the case of PC). Cheetham Salt Works were closed and sold off early 90's. A guy flew in from Malaysia, drove there from Tullamarine and bought it on the spot for a 'Florida style' residential development based around a Greg Norman golf course. It is now SL's.

A relative of mine had a couple of farms where the PC residential development is. She died and the farms were sold off and now it is being filled in quickly with houses.

Skeleton Creek is not Melbourne's sewer outlet and the former marshland has been drained and lakes built. Could be why they called it Sanctuary Lakes?Any snakes will move away with urbanisation (must have seen a lot in 5 minutes and you know how to frighten people on BE's).

I suspect SL's price falls might be tied up with post twin towers as fewer wealthy Asian businessmen invest in upmarket property near a golf course. Simple supply and demand is at work here too, new land releases and rapid building at SL's puts a dampener on prices. I suspect in the long term people who buy there will be glad they got it at affordable prices. Similar houses would cost you 7 figures elsewhere.

I'd suggest to anyone that they don't make an instant judgement and look in a bit more depth because the property is good value. SL's and PC are rapidly acquiring primary and secondary schools, shops, medical facilities etc and nearby Hoppers Crossing is getting the biggest shopping centre in Australia.

Oh and the bottle shop in Ferguson St, Williamstown sells Newcastle Brown Ale!

OzTennis
what can I say....... what you might call coleslaw, I might call vomit.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One thing that you can get down at sanctuary lakes, is houses that a fair few people reading this site could only dream about getting, but actually afford.
It's also one of the few area's of Melbourne, that actually builds, these very upmarket houses.

By that I mean Island houses, as in on a small Island (sure it may be swampy marshland in some peoples eyes) with windows that span two floors, rooftop terraces, entertainment balconies, home theatre rooms, courtyard gardens, IE: the garden is in the centre of the house surrounded by windows etc etc, indoor massive water features. Very large and luxurious houses in other words. they start at circa 650,000 AUD, and go through to 1.4 mill Sanctuary Lakes is comparatively close to the city as well, with a 20 minute drive to the cbd easily achievable.

It is very affordable housing down there. Sort of place where you would love your house, but maybe not the area.
Own brand baked beans are ver affordable but very few people choose to buy them.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think the RAAF got out of the joint ?
Old Nov 26th 2005, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ialibu
Why do you think the RAAF got out of the joint ?

i thank you.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Own brand baked beans are ver affordable but very few people choose to buy them.

So what area would you buy in that most people on here could afford. It's so so easy to knock. eh ? Lets see if we can find a few people to slag of your choice. BTW whats your favourite brand of baked bean

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 26th 2005 at 8:39 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:12 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
So what area would you buy in that most people on here could afford. It's so so easy to knock. eh ? Lets see if we can find a few people to slag of your choice. BTW whats your favourite brand of baked bean
As I've said before we're building over here, to be honest I'm not loving it.

But everyone we meet over here, well lets say their enthusiasm for the area is unlimited, with adjectives such as fantastic, sensational, the usual beautiful.

I just don't get it
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fraser

But everyone we meet over here, well lets say their enthusiasm for the area is unlimited, with adjectives such as fantastic, sensational, the usual beautiful.

I just don't get it

On the bright side Fraser, It's probably no different to 90pct of New developments in Melbourne. Its got two very good things going for it though, Affordable luxury housing, (Stonehenge builders group dont build in very many places) and proximity to the City.

Personally speaking I'm not into new areas, but thats a personal choice thing, rather than saying that they are bad.

As an afterthought, the biggest thing against any new area in my opinion, is as most people, with young families move in within a 5-7 year time span. That about 10 years down the track you have a disproportianate amount of teenagers all of the same age. Gangs form, and the areas become real trouble spots. I've not yet seen an area that this hasn't happened in. In about 8-14 years, that area will be ripe for this kind of gang trouble, I wouldn't like to take the risk "long term" of living there, or any other brand new area.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 26th 2005 at 9:25 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I just don't get it

Nope, me either! I would have to say, after doing the majority of my life growing up around Melbourne, you wouldnt get me living out that way for quids!

I love the inner Western Suburbs....but around PC & SL.....not a bloody chance! Of course this is juse my opinion and in no way meant to offend those living or planning to live in those areas.

Hels
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:30 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Nope, me either! I would have to say, after doing the majority of my life growing up around Melbourne, you wouldnt get me living out that way for quids!

I love the inner Western Suburbs....but around PC & SL.....not a bloody chance! Of course this is juse my opinion and in no way meant to offend those living or planning to live in those areas.

Hels
I'm offended
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

I'm offended

Ohhhh good!! That was my secret plan........
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hels
Ohhhh good!! That was my secret plan........
Not that well hidden if you ask me
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Not that well hidden if you ask me

Didnt ask you tho.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.