POINT COOK

Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: POINT COOK

Originally Posted by herrchook
That might be Westbourne Grammar in Tarneit - a fabulous school.

The school my girls goes to also does a bus pick up service and I think they're extending the route. I know it is currently going down beyond Werribee. Not sure I'd want my kids travelling that far at their ages, but plenty others do it very happily with no problems. Just worth pointing out that you don't always need to restrict yourself to local schools
I think there is also a bus to Bacchaus Marsh, that runs through Sanctuary Lakes and Point Cook.

Mowbray College has buses into Altona, so may also be going through Point Cook.

Pete

Last edited by scrubbedexpat055; Dec 11th 2009 at 6:23 am. Reason: My typing gets worse....
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

janette eley is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a little off the beatiin track can be a good thing but having no internet connection is something that would be impossible for us!!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janette eley
Being a little off the beatiin track can be a good thing but having no internet connection is something that would be impossible for us!!
Unfortunately that seems to be a downside of a few new estates in Melbourne, it really is pathetic that it wasn't planned for or mandated by the planners. It's something the estate agents keep quiet about too.

Luckily we managed to get a house with ADSL, although I did check every one with Telstra beforehand to make sure.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:25 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Im looking for some views on Point Cook in Melbourne.

I have heard some negatives and some positives:

Negatives

Smells of sewage! (must admit, never heard that one before)'
Hard to commute, no train station
Shouldnt live in the west side of Melbourne (why not?)
Schools not very good.

Positives

Houses are reasonably priced
New shopping centre

Any help correcting the above or offering new views would be a great help as we are looking to move early next year (feb)

Thanks Guys

Hiya

Never smelt any sewerage on the several occasions we have visited there.
There is a train station about a 5 - 10 minute drive from Point Cook or so we were told but the commute from there in to Mellie was good.
A lot of people seem to consider the West side of Melbourne quite baron looking and brown which in fairness they do have a point but it's whats important to you?
The beaches are few and not highly rated unless you don't mind a drive to get to a decent one.
The schools at Point Cook were ok actually and thought they had quite a good rating - although this was a couple of years ago - and I guess things do change. We were advised though to go just north of Point Cook to is it Seabrook ? which was highly recommended by a lot of ppl at the time.

House prices and land prices seemed quite good - unfortunately if you want to buy land and have a nice house built on that you have to watch the sizing as we were shocked to find the plots rarely go very big yet they still plug the big houses with companies like Metricon.

My hubbys job would have been on the West side of Mellie so it would have been a good commute for him.
We liked the little cafe they had though the name of it eludes me at the moment, but they did the best Mars mud cake - that sold me straight away lol
pool, gym etc there and the ppl seemed friendly enough.

Point Cook will always stay with us but going to the East is like being in a different state where it seems more leafy green, you actually get views, hilly and generally the infrastructure is obviously better as it's been around longer.
We felt there was more to take the kids to and do with them on the East, on the West you do have a handful of places to go.
There were plenty of play areas for the kids at Point Cook though so no need to fill the garden with hell and all things - which you wouldn't wan to do anyway cause they're not massive.

It really greatly depends on what you are looking for in an area? Like everywhere else it has positives and negatives
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

janette eley is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say Mars Mud Cake is a big pull for me!!!!!! Im very sweet toothed.

I think Im getting a good picture of Point Cook now. Thanks to everyone who has took the time to reply.

I went down to Melbourne last week, the east side, (Childrens Hospital) and I agree that when travelling about some of the suburbs seem lovely and as you say leafy but I have also been told that you need a kings ransom to stay there.
Except the ones that people say are not good areas, this deters you from looking further.

Getting a good school is a must for the kids but there is no point in sending them to a great school in a certain area if we cant affford to live there. Point Cook seemed very affordable to us and although one of the schools didnt get a good reputation another two apparently are good.

No wonder I get sore heads!!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Theyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to all
Smile Re: POINT COOK

I have to say Mars Mud Cake is a big pull for me!!!!!! Im very sweet toothed.

I think Im getting a good picture of Point Cook now. Thanks to everyone who has took the time to reply.

I went down to Melbourne last week, the east side, (Childrens Hospital) and I agree that when travelling about some of the suburbs seem lovely and as you say leafy but I have also been told that you need a kings ransom to stay there.
Except the ones that people say are not good areas, this deters you from looking further.

Getting a good school is a must for the kids but there is no point in sending them to a great school in a certain area if we cant affford to live there. Point Cook seemed very affordable to us and although one of the schools didnt get a good reputation another two apparently are good.

No wonder I get sore heads!!
I live in Seabrook, which is next to Point Cook, it's much smaller and is very family friendly. Dont know about the schools as my son is 23. I lived in Sandringham before i came over west, would have loved to buy a house there (we rented) but it would have cost and arm and 2 legs (maybe the other arm as well). I have never smelt anything whilst being here, although it can get very windy.........
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

And there's a new selective govt. school in Berwick which opens in 2010
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IndieG
And there's a new selective govt. school in Berwick which opens in 2010
Depends how far you want to travel when you get up to the hilly parts of Berwick and Emerald I didn't think the prices were that bad and comparible to Point Cook as we looked at house prices last year when we were back in Melbourne for another holiday, although obviously a bit further of a commute but depends what you want - and as my husband says you can't have EVERYTHING unless you have an endless supply of money.

They also do quite a nice Mars mud cake at Chadstone shopping centre on the East but I did prefer the one at Point Cook

Rent and at the end of the day if you haven't warmed to it in 6 months you'll have had time to look very closely into other suburbs
I have to say i'd avoid settling and sending the kids to school in Rowville as I know a couple of ppl who live there and have had very graphic details relayed to me about what goes on there and if it was the last school on earth I wouldn't send my kids there
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Impalfa is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: POINT COOK

Hiya, I've just logged on for the first time since moving to Point Cook from the UK in 2005 and saw your message... how freaky !
I'll be 100% honest, but it's probably too late to reply as I think you are coming here (in Point Cook or not!)in Feb?
The houses and infra-structure here is superb. There are lots of people from the UK here, and also Asian's etc, like the rest of Melbourne.

When we came here, it was difficult to meet new friends, but the kids school's and sports soon change that! We now have a great social life with some fantastic friends.

There wasn't many schools here in '05, but there are more and more opening all the time as the whole place is really expanding fast. We rented here for 3 years but have built a brand new home in Point Cook and do not regret one minute of it.

The schools have been fine and both our kids are happy, though we are not HUGE on ensuring they have the best education possible.

There are no smells here!

There is another train station going to be built soon which will give 3 local stations to choose and an 'adequate' bus system. The freeway (motorway) is very close and again have 3 access ramps to join from. I work on the Eastern side of the City but it only takes 30-35 mins to drive there door to door in early morning/eve or weekends. However 9.00 rush hour would take over an hour and 1/4 and is stop-start on the freeway. Not nice!

There is more appeal to the Eastern Suburbs generally but the house prices are way too expensive there!! You get a lot of house for your money here but you're not mixing with the people who like to leave a settee and car engine on the lawn either !!

It ticks all the boxes for us and the house prices have increased heaps since we came here (must have been us!!). But you need to rent first and see how things go, as you know, everyone is different and have different needs, so don't buy until you are sure.

Let me know how you go and what you choose? Good luck !
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:53 am
Account Closed

An you've got science works just up the road which is a fab place to take the kids to
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

manx2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Impalfa
Hiya, I've just logged on for the first time since moving to Point Cook from the UK in 2005 and saw your message... how freaky !
I'll be 100% honest, but it's probably too late to reply as I think you are coming here (in Point Cook or not!)in Feb?
The houses and infra-structure here is superb. There are lots of people from the UK here, and also Asian's etc, like the rest of Melbourne.

When we came here, it was difficult to meet new friends, but the kids school's and sports soon change that! We now have a great social life with some fantastic friends.

There wasn't many schools here in '05, but there are more and more opening all the time as the whole place is really expanding fast. We rented here for 3 years but have built a brand new home in Point Cook and do not regret one minute of it.

The schools have been fine and both our kids are happy, though we are not HUGE on ensuring they have the best education possible.

There are no smells here!

There is another train station going to be built soon which will give 3 local stations to choose and an 'adequate' bus system. The freeway (motorway) is very close and again have 3 access ramps to join from. I work on the Eastern side of the City but it only takes 30-35 mins to drive there door to door in early morning/eve or weekends. However 9.00 rush hour would take over an hour and 1/4 and is stop-start on the freeway. Not nice!

There is more appeal to the Eastern Suburbs generally but the house prices are way too expensive there!! You get a lot of house for your money here but you're not mixing with the people who like to leave a settee and car engine on the lawn either !!

It ticks all the boxes for us and the house prices have increased heaps since we came here (must have been us!!). But you need to rent first and see how things go, as you know, everyone is different and have different needs, so don't buy until you are sure.

Let me know how you go and what you choose? Good luck !
sorry this is an oldish thread but am searching for schools in point cook for my 7 yr old.If you dont mind me asking,which school do your children go to? which schools have a good reputation?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manx2010
sorry this is an oldish thread but am searching for schools in point cook for my 7 yr old.If you dont mind me asking,which school do your children go to? which schools have a good reputation?
Seabrook Primary is the best. It does very well on that school ranking site and even came in the top 5 for numeracy in the State.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sr71
Seabrook Primary is the best. It does very well on that school ranking site and even came in the top 5 for numeracy in the State.
Thank you for your response.I have heard a lot of +ve remarks about the school.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

this may help, http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...C/Point%20Cook

Bob
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob Tonnor
thanks, the site looks quite good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.