Reload this Page >

Plumbing and Sparky Questions

Plumbing and Sparky Questions

Old Feb 16th 2004, 4:21 am
Badge

Default Plumbing and Sparky Questions

PLUMBING QUESTION

Stupid question

I installed and connected a UK washing machine and turned on both the hot and cold water taps. I thought 'water will run in to the machine', then stop. Water finds it own level yadda yadda yadda.

But the machine started filling, as in water in to the wash area. I thoght - 'hang on', this is no good, it wil pour out the door,' so I closed the taps.

Now, surely, the machine ITSELF should only fill when it pumps water through for normal operation, when you press the button to start it???????

call me a spas if you like. I'm being cautious because I had a leak a few years ago and I'm not taking chances..

SPARKY QUESTION

SOme of these 15 amp auusie plugs have huge EARTH pins that won't fit in to the plug sockets. (And I can't pull out the pin). What's going on here? I have a UK plug with 13 amp fuses - for the above washing machine..Maybe I should go out and get a 10 amp plug, which a) is more conservative, and b) may have a smaller earth..is the 15 amp some sort of industrial design?

Cheers

BADGE

Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Plumbing and Sparky Questions

Originally posted by badgersmount
PLUMBING QUESTION

SPARKY QUESTION

SOme of these 15 amp auusie plugs have huge EARTH pins that won't fit in to the plug sockets. (And I can't pull out the pin). What's going on here? I have a UK plug with 13 amp fuses - for the above washing machine..Maybe I should go out and get a 10 amp plug, which a) is more conservative, and b) may have a smaller earth..is the 15 amp some sort of industrial design?

Cheers

BADGE
A standard aussie 10 amp plug should be ok for your washing machine. You don't need a 15 amp plug.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

stupid isnt it

you can plug a 10amp plug into a 15amp socket but not the other way around beats me who thought that one up

i dobut the washing machine would be more than 10amps but look on the spec plate for the current or Power if it shows power divide the power by the voltage and you will get the current

eg 1000watts divided by 230votls =4.34amps

my washing machine is rated at 200 watts

sounds like one of your solenoids have gone or stuck open

give it a wack me old son
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:54 am
Badge

thanks

I solved the washing machine problem by (after getting a plug) turnoing it on, draining the water with the appropriate programme, then after that it was fine. I think something had shut open, when it should have been closed...

its a beaut of a machine for 50 bucks...

Badge

Old Feb 16th 2004, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

I solved the washing machine problem by (after getting a plug) turnoing it on, draining the water with the appropriate programme, then after that it was fine. I think something had shut open, when it should have been closed...
More than likely a bit of scale got wedged between the valve and valve seat. The valve should only be open with an electrical voltage on the solenoids operating coil, which should only happen with the machine started/running.