Plumbers in Oz

Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

mchand11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plumbers in Oz

Hello everyone,

I'm an Aussie living in the UK with my Portsmouth partner. He's just completed his coursework as a plumber, and 'word on the street' here is that plumbers are in high demand in Australia (especially Perth). Does anyone know if this is true, or just a bit of Chinese whispers? I am from Sydney and I was under the impression that it is really hard to break transfer your foreign trade qualifications to Australia, but again, this is just hearsay from friends etc.
We are really confused about whether to get settled in Oz, or just stick it out in the UK (we're both fairly happy here, but the warm land is calling me back).This plumbing question is the main deciding factor now!
Any anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!

Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:07 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbers in Oz

Originally Posted by mchand11
Hello everyone,

I'm an Aussie living in the UK with my Portsmouth partner. He's just completed his coursework as a plumber, and 'word on the street' here is that plumbers are in high demand in Australia (especially Perth). Does anyone know if this is true, or just a bit of Chinese whispers? I am from Sydney and I was under the impression that it is really hard to break transfer your foreign trade qualifications to Australia, but again, this is just hearsay from friends etc.
We are really confused about whether to get settled in Oz, or just stick it out in the UK (we're both fairly happy here, but the warm land is calling me back).This plumbing question is the main deciding factor now!
Any anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!

The threads containing "earn up to $1000 per day/week" seem to have disappeared

2 years ago you were lucky to get a tradesmen too turn up
Now they are lucky to be in business.
Next year luck will not be enough.

If your OH is good at what he does and is realistic with market pricing he will find work - there is always work for tradies, but sometimes those out of work have not realised the market has moved.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

On a practical note..............
be prepared to resit your plumbing tests ( hot water / cold water / drainage / roofing etc. at one of the local tafe college,just to get you registered. More tests and proof of being able to run a business, insurances then more fees if you want your own license. Then you can add on 40 Hours minimum training (done at 4 hour classes every week) a 4 hour theory and practical exam 95% correct pass requirement to get your electrical disconnect/ reconnect license.

You'll need to be able to draw a copper tee in 2" copper with an inch & half branch, despite my arguing that in the REAL world we'd just buy a bugger cos my labour rate for creating one would be twice as expensive than buying one , gas and arc welding tests were thrown in too

I gave up in the end, even though I have been plumbing since 1977 and had my own business in the UK employing 20 people............. I found that industrial gases e.g. Oxygen, Acetylene, Nitrogen, CO2 etc didn't require you to be licensed.
My advise........... use your skills to get you a visa then look outside the industry - If I was younger or wanted back on the tools, I would be looking at piping for the hospitality industry i.e. beer plumbing.

Me ..... I'm not bitter, I got a good thing going with designing gas systems for others to install.......it's Australia's loss...........
it's no wonder there's a skill shortage over here

Last edited by Rossi; Dec 28th 2008 at 9:15 am.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:35 am
Just Joined

mchand11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! Thank you for your responses, it is great to hear about others experiences (and scary too). We are pretty sure that it will be alot harder than what people think it will be, my OH is fairly resigned to the fact that he will have to start at a much more junior level and retrain that way (or invest more money in private courses which have already costs us an arm and a leg over here in the UK).
Cheers!
MC