Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

plumber and family in QLD

plumber and family in QLD

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default plumber and family in QLD

Hello all.
I am new to forum and i have spent time looking at the threads and would value any ones opinion on wether it is worth moving to aus form uk.
i am a qualified plumber with C/G advanced craft and i am timeserved. i have 16 years experiance as a plumber/heating engineer.
I would not want to put my family at risk financially but we are thinking strongly about the move. we are coming over to qld for a holiday/look early next year. Is their the work about as is described in the papers or is it a myth.
many thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:50 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of
Default Re: plumber and family in QLD

you'd be better looking in the occupation forum, just look for plumber, as theres loads of stuff in there, which will help you.
bec
Old Nov 24th 2007, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

pajones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnknight001
Hello all.
I am new to forum and i have spent time looking at the threads and would value any ones opinion on wether it is worth moving to aus form uk.
i am a qualified plumber with C/G advanced craft and i am timeserved. i have 16 years experiance as a plumber/heating engineer.
I would not want to put my family at risk financially but we are thinking strongly about the move. we are coming over to qld for a holiday/look early next year. Is their the work about as is described in the papers or is it a myth.
many thanks
Hello,

When you visit, try to make some plumbing contacts so that you have people to call when and if you do emigrate. Buy the local newspaper on jobs night. Look at the ads for plumbers - this will give you an idea of what kind of money you would be looking at to start with. Be aware that your qualifications and experience mean very little here. You will have to apply for a licence (for which you will require references verifying that you have been a plumber for over four years) and you will have to do the 'Migrants Course For Plumbing'. In Queensland I believe that this is a correspondence course (I am in WA, so not the same here). If you contact the licencing board in QLD they should be able to give you some more information.

They will grant you a provisional licence before you take the course, so that you can work as a plumber, but will withdraw the licence if you don't complete the course within a certain time frame. (six months in WA).

My advice would be to get as much information as possible during your visit to QLD. I have been told that the wages are better over there - I don't know why. I have been offered $25 per hour which is rubbish, and I know a lot of plumbers from this forum on the same or slightly more. but there are plumbers on a lot more than that, so I suppose you have to assume that better money is out there if you look hard enough.

In short, I would expect to take a drop in pay initially and try not to compare everything to the UK. It probably takes a good couple of years to settle in over here and you may just think that the 'way of life' here is much better and worth earning less money for. But there is no reason to think that you will be worse off forever - you just have to take each day at a time.

Good Luck To You

Paul
Old Nov 24th 2007, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pajones
Hello,

When you visit, try to make some plumbing contacts so that you have people to call when and if you do emigrate. Buy the local newspaper on jobs night. Look at the ads for plumbers - this will give you an idea of what kind of money you would be looking at to start with. Be aware that your qualifications and experience mean very little here. You will have to apply for a licence (for which you will require references verifying that you have been a plumber for over four years) and you will have to do the 'Migrants Course For Plumbing'. In Queensland I believe that this is a correspondence course (I am in WA, so not the same here). If you contact the licencing board in QLD they should be able to give you some more information.

They will grant you a provisional licence before you take the course, so that you can work as a plumber, but will withdraw the licence if you don't complete the course within a certain time frame. (six months in WA).

My advice would be to get as much information as possible during your visit to QLD. I have been told that the wages are better over there - I don't know why. I have been offered $25 per hour which is rubbish, and I know a lot of plumbers from this forum on the same or slightly more. but there are plumbers on a lot more than that, so I suppose you have to assume that better money is out there if you look hard enough.

In short, I would expect to take a drop in pay initially and try not to compare everything to the UK. It probably takes a good couple of years to settle in over here and you may just think that the 'way of life' here is much better and worth earning less money for. But there is no reason to think that you will be worse off forever - you just have to take each day at a time.

Good Luck To You

Paul
Hi Paul,
Can I assume you are working in WA? If so and you don't mind giving the forum some info please see my posts in the Plumbers section!!
Look forward to your reply!
Cheers,
Dan