Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plugs and Electrical question

Plugs and Electrical question

Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:01 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Plugs and Electrical question

This has probably been asked before but ...

what plugs do Australia use and is there power supply the same as UK ?
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:09 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Plugs and Electrical question

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68

Yes, the question has been asked The plugs are different and will need changing but the power supply is basically the same.

Here's a couple of older threads:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258573
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261775

Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We bought 8 plug converters from Asda, they were very cheap and are doing the trick. I'm not sure if the power supply is exactly the same, maybe a sparky will tell you; I haven't noticed a difference in performance with my hairdryer, for example. However, our microwave and a kenwood chef have gone on the blink since we got here, but perhaps this was due to moisture in the shipment?
PS When you get the plug converters, you have to slide the pins, as otherwise they are the same as an American plug and don't fit in. Also, double check you get the right converters - hubby grabbed a load of European plugs and I had to send him back in! Also, take some as hand luggage if you have mobile rechargers/shavers or anything you will need to use in Aus.
PPS They also sell cheap travel pillows (inflatable) so grab some while you're at it, a real Godsend when you want a kip on the plane
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:26 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

look !!!!!!!
Attached Images  
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:31 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by soapy
look !!!!!!!
thanks one and all ...
Old Dec 7th 2004, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and something to watch out for, I've been gradually changing the plugs on our UK stuff to Oz plugs, but its a pain cos the oz plugs are alot smaller and its really hard to cram the wires in. So today in Bunnings I saw these much bigger plugs, so I thought they'd make life easier, brought them home replugged a few things, and hey presto!!!! None of them fit in the plug sockets

What is the point of that???

The 'earth' terminal is too large to fit in the socket. I thought maybe they were for electrical gardeninig equipment or something, but tried them in the garden equipment sockets.... still too large. Anyone know what the point of these big 15 amp plugs are?

So its back to 'trying to cram the huge wires into the tiny plugs' game again

Cheers,
JTL
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:18 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Oh and something to watch out for, I've been gradually changing the plugs on our UK stuff to Oz plugs, but its a pain cos the oz plugs are alot smaller and its really hard to cram the wires in. So today in Bunnings I saw these much bigger plugs, so I thought they'd make life easier, brought them home replugged a few things, and hey presto!!!! None of them fit in the plug sockets

What is the point of that???

The 'earth' terminal is too large to fit in the socket. I thought maybe they were for electrical gardeninig equipment or something, but tried them in the garden equipment sockets.... still too large. Anyone know what the point of these big 15 amp plugs are?

So its back to 'trying to cram the huge wires into the tiny plugs' game again

Cheers,
JTL
The 15 A plugs are for devices drawing up to 15 ampères; sockets supporting this pin will also accept 10 A plugs.

Usually you will only find these sockets in workshops etc. where serious power tools will be used.

The standard plugs/sockets are only rated to 10 A so be careful not to overload them by putting in double adapters or power boards (particularly high load things such as kettles and toasters).

If you look in Bunnings and similar there are different models of plug, some of which are easier to fit the wires in (though, of course, you are getting this rewiring done by a qualified electrician, so what I mean is you might be able to find a model that is easier for your electrician to put the wires in.)

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yes, the question has been asked The plugs are different and will need changing but the power supply is basically the same.
It's simpler to just use plug adaptors and forget about changing the actual plugs.
It's a good idea to bring some UK socket boards to Australia - just don't overload them.

Jeremy
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's a good idea to bring some UK socket boards to Australia - just don't overload them.

Jeremy
Agreed, Use in the Kitchen may not be a good idea

But great for the home office, I have a PC, Laser Printer, Scanner, Table light and something else plugged into one 6 gang board. I must follow that other cable soon and see what it actually is (oops.. its the monitor ! )

Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:14 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's simpler to just use plug adaptors and forget about changing the actual plugs.

Jeremy
yep from one is actually changing plugs at this very mo it's a pain in the ass

What I've done is brought the power boards from the uk and just changed the end with a new oz plug. I'm doing this for computers, tv's and anywhere there needs to be multi sockets. Reason: it's fine using adaptors but the one's I have you can't fit 2 of them into a double socket sid by side, they're just to big and ugly too

Now excuse me while I log off this computer plug needs changed..............
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
PS When you get the plug converters, you have to slide the pins, as otherwise they are the same as an American plug and don't fit in.
It depends on what type you buy - it's often better to buy ones dedicated to the Australia/UK conversion rather than 'universal' types as the plugs will usually fit more easily.

Jeremy
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:55 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
yep from one is actually changing plugs at this very mo it's a pain in the ass

What I've done is brought the power boards from the uk and just changed the end with a new oz plug. I'm doing this for computers, tv's and anywhere there needs to be multi sockets. Reason: it's fine using adaptors but the one's I have you can't fit 2 of them into a double socket sid by side, they're just to big and ugly too

Now excuse me while I log off this computer plug needs changed..............

there ya go, done
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:41 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

When our shipment came over, I just nipped down to Bunnings and bought about 15 Aussie plugs.

I chopped off all the UK plugs and threw them in the bin. Then replugged all our appliences in one go. It didn't take long. About 5 min's each.
I found it easier than wiring a UK plug! (no fuse etc.)......

Makes life a lot easier than mucking about with adaptors etc.
As has been said above. It means you can't use power boards cos the adaptors wont fit.

Just replug everything. Saves a lot of hassle, & it p#ss easy to do.