Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plugs and adaptors

Plugs and adaptors

Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future
Default Plugs and adaptors

Perhaps a stupid question!!!! Do we buy 15 or 20 plug adaptors for Australia or is there a service, say an electrician, that comes round and changes all appliance UK plugs to Ozzie 2/3 pin. Got a quote for 15 adaptors £35 including postage. Cheers
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plugs and adaptors

Originally Posted by cypry
Perhaps a stupid question!!!! Do we buy 15 or 20 plug adaptors for Australia or is there a service, say an electrician, that comes round and changes all appliance UK plugs to Ozzie 2/3 pin. Got a quote for 15 adaptors £35 including postage. Cheers

Only you can answer how many adaptors you need!! But we had about 5 or 6 and loads of UK plug boards with about 4 sockets in each plug board. So just plug in the plug board with an adaptor and hey presto, the computer, printer etc all work on Oz power, with only one adaptor. Same goes for tv video dvd etc..

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jul 15th 2005 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:46 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by cypry
Not sure I understood your question but here goes [trying to be helpful ]

We bought UK 5 socket extension leads so we only had to change one plug [on each extension] initially. Then when we got here we eventully swapped all plugs from UK to Aus, in our own time.

Just to let you know Aus plugs are available in large superarkets like KMart but "officially" an Electrician is supposed to do all your plug changes.

Alledgedly changing your own plugs invalidates your insurance if a fire occurs as a result of a faulty plug.

My Aussie neighbours said they'd never be able to remember which "Electrician" did their plugs

You choose whether you change your own plugs or pay an Electrician to do it

Hope this answers your question?

Now......where are those stocks? Got any rotten tomatoes by any chance? Go on then....hand em out....I'll promise to stand still. NOT [old joke on here ]

Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:14 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a couple of dozen Oz plugs - HPM are easiest to wire - and spend an hour or two connecting them! It's easier in the long run than going the adaptor route. And they are easier than the UK ones to wire, too: they don't have the prongs falling out halfway through, you don't find that you've forgotten to thread the wire through the cover before you connected everything (never done *that* - you're lucky!) and the little screws don't drop behind the sofa.

Then, when you've done them you can swear at a system that puts the sockets so close together that the plugs interfere with each other and won't fit if you have an adaptor/transformer next door!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:19 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Buy a couple of dozen Oz plugs - HPM are easiest to wire - and spend an hour or two connecting them! It's easier in the long run than going the adaptor route. And they are easier than the UK ones to wire, too: they don't have the prongs falling out halfway through, you don't find that you've forgotten to thread the wire through the cover before you connected everything (never done *that* - you're lucky!) and the little screws don't drop behind the sofa.

Then, when you've done them you can swear at a system that puts the sockets so close together that the plugs interfere with each other and won't fit if you have an adaptor/transformer next door!
Good advice and saves time in the long run. It's just that in our case we had LOTS of plugs and only one thing battery operated

And don't tell me you convert your own plugs too Rog :scared:

Looks like I'm gonna have to nudge up in these stocks. It's sure going to be snuggly with us both in there. I wont nip your bum. Honest

Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we employed an excellent amateur electrician (me). If you can wire a UK plug, Oz ones area doddle. Officially a qualified electrician should do them, but no-one has ever asked.
You can get the plugs all over the place. You can also buy adaptors for UK to Oz in Kmart for about 10 bucks...always handy to have a couple about.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Good advice and saves time in the long run. It's just that in our case we had LOTS of plugs and only one thing battery operated

I always assumed it would have to be petrol driven for the extra horsepower,

JTL
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:32 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

JTL
Actually smart arse.....it runs on a car battery

And a generator in the shed in case of emergency

Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:33 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

JTL
I thought it ran on carrot juice
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Hi
Just copied a post I wrote on here about six months ago as a warning...it really is better to change all your plugs over rather than rely on the whole adaptor into a UK 4 way adaptor thingy

Just a word of warning
We like many others brought lots of those 4/6 way adaptors with us from the UK in order to avoid the necessity of changing over all our plugs at once. My husband had them connected to our laptop, etc and then to the wall with a Uk/Aus adaptor we bought in Singapore...went to plug in the camera today, a large flash of flame seemed to erupt followed by the delightful smell of burning and our power tripping off...just wanted to say be careful (and for those of you in Hallett Cove - it was on Saturday so we didn't wipe out Hallett Cove and Sheidow Park tonight!!!!!!!!) Checked the plug which although it looked very burnt was seemingly wired OK
Scary moment so be careful...have spent the day rewiring plugs!!!!!! What fun!!!!!!!! Really tedious but well worth it.
This could well be a fluke but has inspired us to rewire everything...
Susan
In the immortal words of 'Grease' - You gotta shape up...it's electrifying

Seriuosly though, a tediuos, boring job and there is no point in delaying the inevitable. The things we have in the garage that we don't use still have UK plugs as we forgot to get them changed by our Aus electrician!

Susan
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:45 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Cor, I thought for a minute you were going to warn people not to feed their appliance with too much carrot juice Susan.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bix
I thought it ran on carrot juice

You are thinking of her donkey. And I'm not even going there,

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jul 15th 2005 at 1:59 pm.