PLUGS??

Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future
Default PLUGS??

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me if when I bring my electrical goods over from England is it just a case of cutting the english plug off and fitting an Australian one? or does everyone have adaptors all over the house? Or is it just not possible for some appliances??
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future
Default Re: PLUGS??

Yes, you can just change the plugs. We brought loads of 4 way adapters and changed the plugs on them. After 5 years we still have some still around. One example of things still on UK plugs is my (battery) power tools.

Mike.
Edit, I'll just add, unless you have really new televisions and DVD recorders, don't bother bringing them.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future

Cheers for the reply,
I do have a lovley Tv but its a couple of years old now and wont be taking it. But I cant leave the bose 3 in 1 system thats comming! I was mainly thinking toasters,kettles,blenders,alarm clocks, that sort of thing.
Regards Ian
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by skoots76
Cheers for the reply,
I do have a lovley Tv but its a couple of years old now and wont be taking it. But I cant leave the bose 3 in 1 system thats comming! I was mainly thinking toasters,kettles,blenders,alarm clocks, that sort of thing.
Regards Ian
You'll be fine with everything except TVs. The're on a different frequency here and you can only use your UK TVs as monitors. (Yes, I know you can buy a $50 video recorder and use it).

Mike.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:55 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
You'll be fine with everything except TVs. The're on a different frequency here and you can only use your UK TVs as monitors. (Yes, I know you can buy a $50 video recorder and use it).

Mike.
A lot of the newer TV's especially in the last 5 years can be used over here, have a look and see if there are language settings in the menu and if they list lots of countries if it does bring it one of the settings will work here.
Mum in law bought hers a couple of months ago and hey presto got it working, bought all ours from the Uk with us and guess what so telling people not to bother well your costing them money they may be short of when they finally arrive.
Jenny
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:11 am
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike

Mike.
We brought our TV over which is about 6 years old. It didn't work initially but I bought a digital set-top box for $75 and it works perfectly.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me if when I bring my electrical goods over from England is it just a case of cutting the english plug off and fitting an Australian one? or does everyone have adaptors all over the house? Or is it just not possible for some appliances??
Which State in Oz are you going to?

Some do not allow you to change your own plugs eg QLD, some do allow you eg VIC.

Buzzy
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We changed our plugs. Bunnings sell them so we can is my way of arguing the case.

We brought our older tv over and provided it's run through an Aus set top box or an Aus video player, it works perfectly.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:04 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We changed our plugs. Bunnings sell them so we can is my way of arguing the case.
I have to say that we paid a registered electrician to change all of ours (40+). I think that if you have an insurance claim for a fire caused by an electrical appliance with the plug not changed by an accredited electrician the company might not pay.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carbery
I have to say that we paid a registered electrician to change all of ours (40+). I think that if you have an insurance claim for a fire caused by an electrical appliance with the plug not changed by an accredited electrician the company might not pay.
Possibly not but we've done a fair amount of rewiring on this place, found one label stating who did it and when. We are now far safer than a year ago. If I were the certified leccy who had done the work I wouldn't have advertised the fact. It's a total disaster but no worse than the blind man's wiring in our old house
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:42 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember the lead on your vacuum cleaner won't be long enough for an Aussie room. You'll have to put an extension on as well as a new plug
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:56 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

TV's work fine overhere with an Aussie DVD or set top box

Ours is about 7 years old and still looks and works fine
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Just remember that husbands will not do the "Housework" option in Aus.