Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please somebody remind me what use Ants have...

Please somebody remind me what use Ants have...

Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please somebody remind me what use Ants have...

I'm fed up to my teeth, every morning I wake up come to have my breakfast on the table (which get scleaned after every meal time), the table has turned black with "Bloody Ants", on the floor full of ants, in the kitchen cupboards, even in the sink, i have tried everything, one lot die, another lot replace them, oh i have them in all different sizes, shapes & colours.
so what are they good for?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:11 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Please somebody remind me what use Ants have...

Heh Heh. I'm with you on this one. I'm just praying we don't get the big biting black ones in the house, so far it's the small ones that don't bite.

I've found those little white traps you get (in the three pack) from Woolies work quite well - but you have to keep moving them around as the little buggers find a different way in to the house every time. I'm constantly amazed at their ingenuity.

Someone told me that during drought they come into houses in search of water, so that might be why there are so many around. I vaguely remember reading a fiction novel some years ago about all the ants in the world dying out, and the planet going to pot as a result (plants dying etc), so maybe best not to wipe them all out, though
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

itsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really nice

They are made to drive people mad
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Jessy69 is on a distinguished road

They are to make you feel big.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:26 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you see where they're coming in and where the nest is? if you find it pour boiling water down it and that may kill em.

The only thing I found that worked was to spray around where they came in with a residual insecticide spray, that seemed to put them off for a while.

Hungry little buggers aren't they, they seem to prefer protein to sugar as well........which is a bit worrying....
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:31 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Anteaters would starve otherwise.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:33 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

The small ones are the buggers to be aware of..

from all accounts, when they begin entering the house, or you start to see more of them.. is usually indicative of STORMS.

The large black ants ? do you mean Meat Ants? they can be slightly ganglandish, especially if you stomp your foot loudly next to their nests !! pmsl.. MOVE quick !

Green ants are the buggers that sting. black ones just pinch ( bite )
Small ones, just seem to carry shit everywhere.
Sugar Ants are my fave, they are like a friendly pet.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Can you see where they're coming in and where the nest is? if you find it pour boiling water down it and that may kill em.

The only thing I found that worked was to spray around where they came in with a residual insecticide spray, that seemed to put them off for a while.

Hungry little buggers aren't they, they seem to prefer protein to sugar as well........which is a bit worrying....
We didnt have this problem in SA, but here, bloody hell, we've done the run, pour boiling water over them, I have become expert in the sprays which kills the best, but they are still coming in, well outside we have those big black one's, the other day, they were munching over a lizard, they suck he's blood out, he looked transparent. quite scarey.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:39 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

They eat termites.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
The small ones are the buggers to be aware of..

from all accounts, when they begin entering the house, or you start to see more of them.. is usually indicative of STORMS.

The large black ants ? do you mean Meat Ants? they can be slightly ganglandish, especially if you stomp your foot loudly next to their nests !! pmsl.. MOVE quick !

Green ants are the buggers that sting. black ones just pinch ( bite )
Small ones, just seem to carry shit everywhere.
Sugar Ants are my fave, they are like a friendly pet.
OMG what are you Ant scientist, I send you some sugar Ants for Xmas you can have loads of pets.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wol
They eat termites.
I dont know if we have termites?
its only rentals, & the agent is doing sod all about it.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:48 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

You obviously need an anteater as a pet.

I've got them coming in around my kitchen window, above the sink, but nothing like the numbers you've got. Every time I spot a new access hole I paste over it with nail varnish...gives them a headache if nothing else.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:49 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
OMG what are you Ant scientist, I send you some sugar Ants for Xmas you can have loads of pets.
LOL where we live we are in ANT Nirvana !!!

Ants are vital for good soil. So my old man used to say.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nerine
You obviously need an anteater as a pet.

I've got them coming in around my kitchen window, above the sink, but nothing like the numbers you've got. Every time I spot a new access hole I paste over it with nail varnish...gives them a headache if nothing else.

I have never seen so many Ants, I think I moved into their capital city, its just all different sizes , we got cute little one, to huge ugly one's, all the time I'm scratching myself because I feel them on me, but they arent I just feel them.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
LOL where we live we are in ANT Nirvana !!!

Ants are vital for good soil. So my old man used to say.
Your old man is right, but what are they doing inside my house, the best one's are the one who act as if they are dead, but they arent. very clever really, but when you get as many as I get in I dont think they are cute anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.