Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please, some serious advice/comments for desision to be made tonight!

Please, some serious advice/comments for desision to be made tonight!

Old Feb 14th 2004, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

sven37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please, some serious advice/comments for desision to be made tonight!

Ok, background is, I think we're gonna struggle to get into NZ on any of the visa's.!

The buisness; well can't afford to buy a buisness......

The quali visa; well apart from a level 3 NVQ (in child care) due to be completed in around 6 months, don't seem to be able to find if we could get in on that!

And don't wanna take the risk of going in on a working holiday visa!

BUT: we don't wanna just give up on this idea either, now, we have 4 kids and a mortgage etc, and funds are tight!

Tonight we plan to decide whether to just sell up now and go into rented accomodation, work on the visa, free some cash to start the dream/process and hope within the next year or 2 we may make it!

Would anyone advice us to do/donot do this.......

Please help x
Sherry x
Old Feb 14th 2004, 11:19 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Please, some serious advice/comments for desision to be made tonight!

Originally posted by sven37
Ok, background is, I think we're gonna struggle to get into NZ on any of the visa's.!

The buisness; well can't afford to buy a buisness......

The quali visa; well apart from a level 3 NVQ (in child care) due to be completed in around 6 months, don't seem to be able to find if we could get in on that!

And don't wanna take the risk of going in on a working holiday visa!

BUT: we don't wanna just give up on this idea either, now, we have 4 kids and a mortgage etc, and funds are tight!

Tonight we plan to decide whether to just sell up now and go into rented accomodation, work on the visa, free some cash to start the dream/process and hope within the next year or 2 we may make it!

Would anyone advice us to do/donot do this.......

Please help x
Sherry x
Funds are tight, 6 mouths to feed, 6 to clothe and house:
1. make sure you get a job to go to and save.
2. make no move until you have a visa.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please, some serious advice/comments for desision to be made tonight!

HIya

Maybe you should speak to a migration officer to get some advice as to whether you have any real chances of getting a visa. Have you done an on-line assessment? I would only suggest selling up if you know that you can get a visa.

Good luck to you.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Default Mel....

selling up will release enough funds, and give us the opportunity to save and save more.....

Just feel if we stay in our 'home' we wont get anywhere......

But thanks for your reply......x

Plan to make the desision over a chinese takeaway tonight.....:scared:

Its how all the best desisions are made....surely.....
Old Feb 14th 2004, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Default Noodle....

Yes have spoken to one and they have told us they have got people in on NVQ 3's plenty of times, but in trade jobs, have not tried in the profesional work, although they couldn't see why not!

Free online check told us we would be successful.....but just something about that company tells me they would tell everyone the same!

I appreciate your replys guys though.....

Guess so far thats 2 against though.....
Old Feb 14th 2004, 11:40 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noodle....

It depends how much of a risk taker you are.

With children and funds lacking, not to mention visa uncertainties, all add to the risk, of ploughing a lot of money into a move that may not be sucessful, no matter how much you try or think now it is the only thing you want.

Recent post for a couple of regulars have estimate the cost of moving to NZ, trying to make it work etc at around £17k, and that is before their intention to move out of NZ as it has not worked out for them.

whilst money is not everything, you need to think could you lead the life you want for your family in NZ, UK or where ever after 'losing' that kind of money.

Last edited by walaj; Feb 14th 2004 at 11:42 am.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 12:01 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Be careful about the qualifacation, You MUST also have experience as just a qualifacation on its own is not accepptable.
Try asking either Alan Collett or George Lombard for advice.

OH! and good luck
Old Feb 14th 2004, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Default Thanks for this.....

Money is only tight because of a mortgage thats too big.....

Paulf......our main problem is the reverse to what you say....My husband is a fully qualified firefighter for 15 years(no good for NZ though) He also has 19 years Social services experience either with mental/psysical disability or disavantaged kids....

BUT, doesn't have the formal quallies on paper!....

To me the risk is only losing the owership of our own home, if it don't work out, we just buy again.....

Have my glasses gone red rather than rose coloured.......
Old Feb 14th 2004, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Um... are you crazy? You're asking strangers to help decide your future!!!!!

Your nerves sound very frayed. Why is there such urgency? Is life that bad for you at the moment?

If I were you... I wouldn't be in any rush to disrupt my life any further.

I'd stay until I had everything planned out...

Old Feb 14th 2004, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thanks for this.....

Before you make any decisions get some more advice of another agent. You will be suprised as to how they can help.
Dont worry
Old Feb 14th 2004, 1:30 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mel....

selling up will release enough funds, and give us the opportunity to save and save more.....

Just feel if we stay in our 'home' we wont get anywhere......

But thanks for your reply......x

Plan to make the desision over a chinese takeaway tonight.....:scared:

Its how all the best desisions are made....surely.....
OK...I normally would not give out this kind of advice but...I'd go for the Mongolian Lamb...
Old Feb 14th 2004, 1:40 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

If your rent will be lower than your mortgage and you don't eat into the profits from the house sale then go for it.

If your rent will be higer than your mortgage, then, yes, you would be crazy!

Bearing in mind, you don't seem to have much of a chance to emigrate by the sound of it. You could end up with not much of a chance to emigrate PLUS the prospect of not being able to buy another house again, always paying rent and eating into your profits.

Why not try re-mortgaging. Free up some of the potential in your house to raise a bit of money. That way you may be able to buy a business in NZ, and you still keep your house until you sell it.

Northern Rock and Direct Line have some good re-mortgage rates.

Steve.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 4:16 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

First thing first.

What are your motives for going to NZ?

Are these motives available in the UK?

I ask these because up until a week ago we were going to NZ. We have decided to sell our expensive house, buy another house but mortgage free and try to live the life we wanted in NZ. Does this make sense.

Its pointless moving if you are only going to take the crap you have here with you.

If money is tight here, it could well be worse in NZ. Sell your house by all means, buy a cheaper one and see if this make a difference to your lives here. If you do this you may have the money to visit NZ and enjoy its good points with £ in your pockets than $.

Old Feb 14th 2004, 4:36 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice
Default Re: Thanks for this.....

Money is only tight because of a mortgage thats too big.....

Paulf......our main problem is the reverse to what you say....My husband is a fully qualified firefighter for 15 years(no good for NZ though) He also has 19 years Social services experience either with mental/psysical disability or disavantaged kids....

BUT, doesn't have the formal quallies on paper!....

To me the risk is only losing the owership of our own home, if it don't work out, we just buy again.....

Have my glasses gone red rather than rose coloured.......
To be honest I wouldn't sell the house and move into rented. Money for rental is wasted money, keeping your house or downsizing still keeps you in the housing market if the visas don't happen also in 2 years time your house will probably be worth even more, much more of a return than you would get in a building society/bank account.

You say that hubby has 19 years social services experience but nothing on paper, how about going to college in the evenings or one day a week and getting the papers, his 19 years will be counted towards his experience. This is something you can work towards.

To sell the house etc when at the moment you are not even sure if you are going to get a visa is a bit risky. We got our visas after 2 years waiting and planning for 10 years for Oz and came back after 6 months there about £25,000 down. It was a very expensive learning curve and although we have no regrets it shows that your dreams don't always turn out like you thought they would.

Look very carefully into all your options and goodluck for making the right decisions.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 4:39 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Jack Daws
I ask these because up until a week ago we were going to NZ.
you are so fickle daws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.