British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Please review my trip plan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/please-review-my-trip-plan-643263/)

akat Dec 3rd 2009 8:03 pm

Please review my trip plan

Hello there,

I am planning to fly for about 3.5 weeks from US to Adelaide for my validation trip. I also want to visit all the "potential cities to settle in" :)

Here is what I am planning
-8-10 days Adelaide (got family in ADL)
-Road trip to Melbourne (Great Ocean Road)
-Stay in Melbourne for 3-4 days
-Drive back to Adelaide
-Relax 2-3 days
-Fly to Brisbane (4-5 days)
-Fly to Sydney (5-6 days)
-Fly back to US

Do you see anything obviously wrong with this plan? Any suggestions?

I am also looking for what to do in each of these places :D
Will be traveling with OH and 2 kids :eek:

Thanks!!

Max&Ozzy Dec 3rd 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Please review my trip plan

Keep the car and keep going, up at Brisbane. You'll find it useful in each city especially if you're investigating areas etc. You'll get a feel for the country too if you actually travel through it.

Have fun

akat Dec 3rd 2009 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy (Post 8144692)
Keep the car and keep going, up at Brisbane. You'll find it useful in each city especially if you're investigating areas etc. You'll get a feel for the country too if you actually travel through it.

Have fun

Thanks Max&Ozzy. I do plan to a rental in Brisbane and Sydney, not sure if i want to drive from Melbourne to Brisbane. Google says its 21 hours non-stop! :eek:

jothefw Dec 3rd 2009 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by akat (Post 8144695)
Thanks Max&Ozzy. I do plan to a rental in Brisbane and Sydney, not sure if i want to drive from Melbourne to Brisbane. Google says its 21 hours non-stop! :eek:

People do it! Driving in Melbourne itself will be more stressful than 21 hours to Brisbane in my opinion. Adelaide is laid out like Milton Keynes (on a grid) but Melbourne is not and it has a river in the middle that you seem to only be able to cross once (I am exagerating a little) and there's Toll's ... it took me 2hours to get out once and I promised I'd never try again!:eek:

The Great Ocean Road is great, plenty of great things to do with the kids to break up the car trip - gold panning, tree walks, great beaches!

akat Dec 3rd 2009 10:52 pm

If I have around 4 days for the Great Ocean Road + Melbourne, how much should I spend on the road till I get to Melbourne and how much should I spend in Melbourne?

If driving in Melbourne is so tough, should I just drop the car off once I get into Melbourne and then use public transport?

akat Dec 3rd 2009 10:53 pm

Consider that I am used to driving on the right side of the road! :p

asprilla Dec 3rd 2009 11:14 pm

I would be tempted to use public transport in melbourne & possibly sydney, but definitely car in brisbane and surrounds.

I wouldn't drive melbourne to brisbane.
cheers

Sally Simpson Dec 4th 2009 6:27 am

Melbourne dwellers may have a different opinion but everyone I know who has visited & used the public transport there, says it is fantastic.
Bear in mind that I live in Cairns where public transport is abysmal though!;)

Hope that you have a fantastic trip btw!:thumbup:

GillyG Dec 4th 2009 10:14 am

Great Ocean Road is great. We stayed at a few lovely hostels which would be suitable for families. PM me if you want more info. Also would recommend a trip to Australia Zoo.

SamSi Dec 4th 2009 10:20 am

I'd be tempted to drive to Melbourne, give the going back to Adelaide a miss and instead fly from Melbourne up to Brisbane. Then use those extra days to do the road trip down to Sydney, it's a fantastic drive with plenty of places to stop off.

jothefw Dec 6th 2009 3:29 am

Originally Posted by akat (Post 8144956)
If I have around 4 days for the Great Ocean Road + Melbourne, how much should I spend on the road till I get to Melbourne and how much should I spend in Melbourne?

If driving in Melbourne is so tough, should I just drop the car off once I get into Melbourne and then use public transport?

2 days to drive down, 2 there? Everyone I know loves Melbourne though so maybe longer there? Public transport is good [again from what I've heard] or invest in Sat Nav .... may be worth either way.

As for fly/drive discussion - it comes down to time versus costs? The drive could be great if you've time to spare?

Pomster Dec 6th 2009 9:24 pm

Melbourne is reasonably simple to drive around bar the CBD and immediate burbs.
After that roads run for many kms, and once you hit one of these, you feel you know where you are going!

Tolls- as long as you know you are going via toll road, buy a pass in advance. You can also pay up to 3 days later, although this may not be the case with hire cars.

Looking at you itinerary, I would not go Adelaide-Melb-Adelaide, unless there was some pressing reason. You are just doubling the travelling with no advantage.
Why not stay longer in Adelaide, drive to Melb and then go to Bris?

ShawnMcCrea Dec 7th 2009 6:12 pm

Hey,

Unless im missing something I would fly to Sydney first and than fly further up the coast to Brisbane next. Not sure if I read this wrong but doing it the other way around you would basically be backtracking.

Also more international flights out of Sydney to go home.

paularn Dec 7th 2009 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by akat (Post 8144695)
I do plan to a rental in Brisbane and Sydney

I wouldn't rent a car in Sydney - infact you couldn't pay me enough to drive there. They have a good train/bus/ferry system, use that.