Reload this Page >

Please review my trip plan

Please review my trip plan

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

akat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Please review my trip plan

Hello there,

I am planning to fly for about 3.5 weeks from US to Adelaide for my validation trip. I also want to visit all the "potential cities to settle in"

Here is what I am planning
-8-10 days Adelaide (got family in ADL)
-Road trip to Melbourne (Great Ocean Road)
-Stay in Melbourne for 3-4 days
-Drive back to Adelaide
-Relax 2-3 days
-Fly to Brisbane (4-5 days)
-Fly to Sydney (5-6 days)
-Fly back to US

Do you see anything obviously wrong with this plan? Any suggestions?

I am also looking for what to do in each of these places
Will be traveling with OH and 2 kids

Thanks!!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all
Default Re: Please review my trip plan

Keep the car and keep going, up at Brisbane. You'll find it useful in each city especially if you're investigating areas etc. You'll get a feel for the country too if you actually travel through it.

Have fun
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Keep the car and keep going, up at Brisbane. You'll find it useful in each city especially if you're investigating areas etc. You'll get a feel for the country too if you actually travel through it.

Have fun
Thanks Max&Ozzy. I do plan to a rental in Brisbane and Sydney, not sure if i want to drive from Melbourne to Brisbane. Google says its 21 hours non-stop!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by akat
Thanks Max&Ozzy. I do plan to a rental in Brisbane and Sydney, not sure if i want to drive from Melbourne to Brisbane. Google says its 21 hours non-stop!
People do it! Driving in Melbourne itself will be more stressful than 21 hours to Brisbane in my opinion. Adelaide is laid out like Milton Keynes (on a grid) but Melbourne is not and it has a river in the middle that you seem to only be able to cross once (I am exagerating a little) and there's Toll's ... it took me 2hours to get out once and I promised I'd never try again!

The Great Ocean Road is great, plenty of great things to do with the kids to break up the car trip - gold panning, tree walks, great beaches!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

If I have around 4 days for the Great Ocean Road + Melbourne, how much should I spend on the road till I get to Melbourne and how much should I spend in Melbourne?

If driving in Melbourne is so tough, should I just drop the car off once I get into Melbourne and then use public transport?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Consider that I am used to driving on the right side of the road!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:14 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I would be tempted to use public transport in melbourne & possibly sydney, but definitely car in brisbane and surrounds.

I wouldn't drive melbourne to brisbane.
cheers
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne dwellers may have a different opinion but everyone I know who has visited & used the public transport there, says it is fantastic.
Bear in mind that I live in Cairns where public transport is abysmal though!

Hope that you have a fantastic trip btw!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Great Ocean Road is great. We stayed at a few lovely hostels which would be suitable for families. PM me if you want more info. Also would recommend a trip to Australia Zoo.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

I'd be tempted to drive to Melbourne, give the going back to Adelaide a miss and instead fly from Melbourne up to Brisbane. Then use those extra days to do the road trip down to Sydney, it's a fantastic drive with plenty of places to stop off.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

If I have around 4 days for the Great Ocean Road + Melbourne, how much should I spend on the road till I get to Melbourne and how much should I spend in Melbourne?

If driving in Melbourne is so tough, should I just drop the car off once I get into Melbourne and then use public transport?
2 days to drive down, 2 there? Everyone I know loves Melbourne though so maybe longer there? Public transport is good [again from what I've heard] or invest in Sat Nav .... may be worth either way.

As for fly/drive discussion - it comes down to time versus costs? The drive could be great if you've time to spare?
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is reasonably simple to drive around bar the CBD and immediate burbs.
After that roads run for many kms, and once you hit one of these, you feel you know where you are going!

Tolls- as long as you know you are going via toll road, buy a pass in advance. You can also pay up to 3 days later, although this may not be the case with hire cars.

Looking at you itinerary, I would not go Adelaide-Melb-Adelaide, unless there was some pressing reason. You are just doubling the travelling with no advantage.
Why not stay longer in Adelaide, drive to Melb and then go to Bris?
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

Hey,

Unless im missing something I would fly to Sydney first and than fly further up the coast to Brisbane next. Not sure if I read this wrong but doing it the other way around you would basically be backtracking.

Also more international flights out of Sydney to go home.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

I do plan to a rental in Brisbane and Sydney
I wouldn't rent a car in Sydney - infact you couldn't pay me enough to drive there. They have a good train/bus/ferry system, use that.