Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

please help dog failed 2nd lepto test

please help dog failed 2nd lepto test

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

sion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud of
Default please help dog failed 2nd lepto test

I cant believe it my dog jasper was meant to fly out next tuesday 7th oct to aus, the vet has just phoned to say he failed his lepto. First test wasnt too bad passed the 1:400 failed 1:100 2nd test failed 1:800 how the hell can that happen ? we even kept him inside

we are homeless from tuesday (going to visit family until we fly out on the 19th) what the hell am i going to do with he dog?

Vet says he needs to go on a 2 week treatment of penicillin, does this work?

My dad said he will try and look after him but he lives in brighton and i live in manchester looks like a 560mile round trip this weekend.

it has taken me 3 years to get to this stage and now this happens, is it really worth all the heartache and arguments?

sorry if this doesnt make sense but my head is spinning

cheers

husband with sobbing wife and 3 kids
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: please help dog failed 2nd lepto test

Hi
This has just happened to us. Our dog's first test was 1:400, the second test 1:800, we were then told by Golden Arrow our shipper to get him tested again straight away as sometimes it can be a wrong reading, so we did this Tuesday sent it special delivery so it would arrive before 9am they did the test the same day as I kept ringing the lab the result came back 1:400, so he can now fly on Tuesday.

So I would suggest another test before the antibiotics, as I think they may have been some problems in the lab as Golden Arrow told me that 2 other dogs also failed their second test the same day.

It worth a shot

Good Luck
Clare
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

sion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steveclare
Hi
This has just happened to us. Our dog's first test was 1:400, the second test 1:800, we were then told by Golden Arrow our shipper to get him tested again straight away as sometimes it can be a wrong reading, so we did this Tuesday sent it special delivery so it would arrive before 9am they did the test the same day as I kept ringing the lab the result came back 1:400, so he can now fly on Tuesday.

So I would suggest another test before the antibiotics, as I think they may have been some problems in the lab as Golden Arrow told me that 2 other dogs also failed their second test the same day.

It worth a shot

Good Luck
Clare
clare just replied to the other thread think goden arrow told us about youre dog. ours was meant to be flying tuesday aswell but the third test came back today positive.
gutted, kids and wife are freaking

so glad you had a better result , this is really stressful

Last edited by sion; Oct 2nd 2008 at 6:31 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough

just keep believing, he will join you.

I wish I could do something for you.

Good Luck
Clare
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:12 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sion
clare just replied to the other thread think goden arrow told us about youre dog. ours was meant to be flying tuesday aswell but the third test came back today positive.

Only 3rd test...? S'nowt...! There's someone on here a year or so ago that stuck with and got through on 11th...! Hang in there, it'll be right...
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hsherriff will become famous soon enoughHsherriff will become famous soon enough

Im sure I read somewhere on the forums about this...
If i remember it was something to do with the dogs bein vaccinated to close to being tested so they were advising next time booster was due to have th evet not give the lep part...
I could be wrong but im so sure it was same thing.. I wil try to look and see if I can find it.

Good luck
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hsherriff will become famous soon enoughHsherriff will become famous soon enough

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=lepto

there you go I was correct. Dogs sgould not have the lepto within 6 months of going.. so if you had them done recent do not worry top much the dogs probablt dont have it , its hopefully just the vaccination showing up.

Not sure what will happen though Maybe just more tests
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

cheers mate but we made sure he did not have the vaccine.The last booster he had was 12 months ago.Something must have got into his system after the first test, god knows how we were really careful. just unlucky i suppose.

I HATE BLOODY RATS !!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Dam thats such a shame...
Its just shows you how easy it can be for dogs to pick up things and how important it is for vaccinations.

I was reading on a diff threat that someone had same problem but they were flying with airpets and they gave them 5 days of intravenous antibiotics and their dog was able to fly and they did not even charge.. So there does seem a way to battle it. Fingers and toes crossed for you.
xx
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:06 am

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is your dog going to have another test done then?
Fingers crossed for you, what a terrible situation.
Hope it all comes right in the end
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sion

Your shippers could probably kennel him for you, I'm going to use Overhill and they have a kennels as well, might be worth asking.

Copying you some threads with this topic on, one lady took loads of tests to get her dog through but she passed in the end.

Everything crossed for you xxx

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...52#post4046752

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410649

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...52#post4311652
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

I took my dogs to have their boosters done and I told the vet no lepto... I asked him what it would mean for my dogs not having it and he said well you know the vaccination does not actually totally protect the dogsso not having it of course means they have more of a chance but just to be careful. Avoid any areas with stagnent water and areas where rats are likely to be.
Hopefully they will be ok but u never can tell.
Any update ?
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
just took my dog to my dads in sussex, they are going to look after him until he has finished his tablets. he is on a 3week course of antibiotics then another 2 weeks on another drug (something to do with making sure he is not a carrier)
Told them to make sure he does not go for walks and just let him in the garden for toilet breaks. sounds cruel but we have to do all we can.

fingers crossed for the next test in a few weeks I will let you know how he gets on. it has really been upsetting.

Thanks to everyone for the support
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:06 pm

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with it I hope it all turns out good in the end.