Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A plea to all forumites

A plea to all forumites

Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:01 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default A plea to all forumites

I have just lost 2 1/2 hours of my life reading this forum and the immigration one for over 2 days worth of postings as I have been away for the weekend.

First plea: Please give new threads as good a title as possible to indicate the content. No offence to anyone who has done it but threads like "Australia" and "Advice please" have to be read in case they are relevant but often aren't.

Second plea: Any tips for faster reading? I resorted to holding the shift key when I chose a thread tonight so it opened in another window while I read the previous page (we are on mid-band). I know about subscribing to threads but that doesn't help with the new threads. The icons that used to show threads I have posted to seem to only work occassionally too.

Any help you can give so I can get away from here quicker and do something productive towards emigration will be gratefully received.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:24 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Default Re: A plea to all forumites

Originally Posted by worzel
First plea: Please give new threads as good a title as possible to indicate the content. No offence to anyone who has done it but threads like "Australia" and "Advice please" have to be read in case they are relevant but often aren't.
Hear, hear!

And, if I may add ... if a question is specific to a particular city or state (eg Sydney or Qld) perhaps this could be included in the subject line too (eg English sweet shops - Melbourne). Many a time I've read a thread subject thinking that I could help with it, only to find that it relates to Aberdeen or somewhere I've never been!

Cheers folks,
PR

PS Good idea worzel!

Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:33 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Completely agree with both the above!
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:27 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ProofReader
Hear, hear!

And, if I may add ... if a question is specific to a particular city or state (eg Sydney or Qld) perhaps this could be included in the subject line too (eg English sweet shops - Melbourne). Many a time I've read a thread subject thinking that I could help with it, only to find that it relates to Aberdeen or somewhere I've never been!

Cheers folks,
PR

PS Good idea worzel!

And for people to use easier to read fonts and colours.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Proofreader

You are welcome in Aberdeen anytime!!

And I am in full agreement, sometimes the title and thread content are completely different, if you know what I'm getting at!

Bill

Last edited by BillnLinz; Jan 16th 2005 at 9:39 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:32 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bondipom
Seconded! Just type stuff in and let the reader decide how they want to see it!
Old Jan 17th 2005, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

Worzel, Thats a very good idea.

Old Jan 17th 2005, 3:00 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 17th 2005, 3:26 am

gedge has disabled reputation

"Ay" from this corner too.
Better choice of thread titles, no fancy fonts (unless for a specific reason) and no big images in signatures please. You know who you are, and I will hold my hands up to being guilty on some of these before.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:11 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Just coz you can't be bothered ...! Why shouldn't I take advantage of these nice fonts and the delicious red wine colour?! 'Sides, it's easier for me to pick out my own posts!

Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:12 am
Dismembered Bat

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Proofreader

You are welcome in Aberdeen anytime!!

And I am in full agreement, sometimes the title and thread content are completely different, if you know what I'm getting at!

Bill
Thank you, BillnLinz! I'll get there one day!

Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:13 am
Dismembered Bat

Originally Posted by hevs
Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:45 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
Any help you can give so I can get away from here quicker and do something productive towards emigration will be gratefully received.
How about saying to you, very firmly, 'B*GGER OFF & GET A (NEW) LIFE'!!!? Does that help at all?

Best of luck with the emigration process - now GO DO IT!! (said in my strictest voice :scared: )

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 8:51 am
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future

Not wishing to offend anyone, but on the subject of making threads easier reading could we please do without:-

WHOLE THREADS WRITTEN IN CAPITALS

Threads Where The First Letter Of Every Word Is A Capital

ntia thrds rtn n txt spk

threads written without punctuation and/or very long sentences

Cheers.

Last edited by PWBCSA; Jan 17th 2005 at 8:58 am.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
Not wishing to offend anyone, but on the subject of making threads easier reading could we please do without:-

WHOLE THREADS WRITTEN IN CAPITALS

Threads Where The First Letter Of Every Word Is A Capital

ntia thrds rtn n txt spk

threads written without punctuation and/or very long sentences

Cheers.

Hear hear. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen though, will you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.