Playstation 2

Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Dave - Jackie will become famous soon enoughDave - Jackie will become famous soon enough
Default Playstation 2

HI There

Need some help thinking about a playstation 2 for christmas, but dont know if it is compatable over in oz does anybody know or am I asking a stupid question???

Jackie
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:18 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Playstation 2

Originally Posted by Dave - Jackie
HI There

Need some help thinking about a playstation 2 for christmas, but dont know if it is compatable over in oz does anybody know or am I asking a stupid question???

Jackie
Buy one from here and take it anywhere in the world and play anything you want to on it.

Although he has just wacked an extra fifteen quid on the price probably due to the time of year!

R.

PS. If you do get one let me know so I can tell him I want comission!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Re: Playstation 2

I have a slimline PS2 and beleive it will work without any problems, and that it wont need to be chipped.

SS
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 7:07 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

You won`t be able to watch region 4 or 1 movies if you buy a UK ps2, unless you get it chipped.

All the games will work fine though, wherever you buy it from.

What about an Xbox? I don`t have one, but have a friend who has, and has modded it to have a huge hd which stores all his games (rents and copies on to the hd)/movies/mp3`s etc.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Thats a good point about the DVD facility - personally I dont use it for that, but it is worth thinking about if you use it to watch movies.

SS
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 7:50 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Thats a good point about the DVD facility - personally I dont use it for that, but it is worth thinking about if you use it to watch movies.

SS
I had my PS/2 modified in Europe so it can plan games from any country, but the DVD region is still locked to the European region 2. Ir was an 'early generation' modification chip.

I recall when the whole modification of games consoles think was being contested by Sony, in Australia, the ruling went against them, meaning it was seen as being legal to 'chip them' to be region free, so I would assume it would be reasonably easy to get one done over there.

I think this would be the same for all consoles, so if you take a European one with you, unless it is modified, you can only play European (region 2) games and DVD's. If you buy one down under, you will only be able to play region 4 games and DVD's.

(by the way, this is my first post!, I'm currently waiting on the Australian Computer Society to process my RPL, and if successful, I've a position thought ENS into Brisbane).
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adriang
I had my PS/2 modified in Europe so it can plan games from any country, but the DVD region is still locked to the European region 2. Ir was an 'early generation' modification chip.

I recall when the whole modification of games consoles think was being contested by Sony, in Australia, the ruling went against them, meaning it was seen as being legal to 'chip them' to be region free, so I would assume it would be reasonably easy to get one done over there.

I think this would be the same for all consoles, so if you take a European one with you, unless it is modified, you can only play European (region 2) games and DVD's. If you buy one down under, you will only be able to play region 4 games and DVD's.

(by the way, this is my first post!, I'm currently waiting on the Australian Computer Society to process my RPL, and if successful, I've a position thought ENS into Brisbane).
My son found a website that gave you codes to reset the DVD region for DVD players and PS2 etc. We changed our DVD players and they played everything so wouldn't see a problem with the PS2. Let me know if you want the website.
Nicky
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:10 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NickyP
My son found a website that gave you codes to reset the DVD region for DVD players and PS2 etc. We changed our DVD players and they played everything so wouldn't see a problem with the PS2. Let me know if you want the website.
Nicky
One point to bear in mind is that different DVD player vendors have different attitudes on how easy their technology is to unlock. For example, Sony has an interest in Movies and Gaming, so they are not going to encourage the overiding of the DVD/gaming regions.

My GF and I travel extensively for work, so we are always picking up DVD's and games. We've got 2 Sony DVD payers, and we were able to get them modified, but it was done for us in a shop, rather than being able to look it up. My father has an LG DVD player, and there was some special sequence of remote control button presses, and I could change it from region 2 (europe) to Region 0 (which I think is everything AKA region free).

A friend of mine took a Toshiba DVD player with him to Australia, and ended up buying aonther one, because he could not get it unlocked.

I't would be great if you could share the website though.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adriang
One point to bear in mind is that different DVD player vendors have different attitudes on how easy their technology is to unlock. For example, Sony has an interest in Movies and Gaming, so they are not going to encourage the overiding of the DVD/gaming regions.

My GF and I travel extensively for work, so we are always picking up DVD's and games. We've got 2 Sony DVD payers, and we were able to get them modified, but it was done for us in a shop, rather than being able to look it up. My father has an LG DVD player, and there was some special sequence of remote control button presses, and I could change it from region 2 (europe) to Region 0 (which I think is everything AKA region free).

A friend of mine took a Toshiba DVD player with him to Australia, and ended up buying aonther one, because he could not get it unlocked.

I't would be great if you could share the website though.
Will Pm you
Nicky
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

So it sounds like PS2 games are region encoded!!! Is this true? I didnt think they were and a UK PS2 would play Oz games. Anyone got any experience of this without having to chip the PS2?

SS
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

we have just bought a ps2 in oz & it plays uk dvd & oz dvd - not sure about the games as we never had a ps2 before - although we have lots of ps1 games - should i try one of them to see if it works ?? or is it only ps2 games that are supposed to be regional??

i will try a ps1 game - (from uk) & see if this works in my ps2 .

ttfn
pootle26
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 10:55 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pootle26
we have just bought a ps2 in oz & it plays uk dvd & oz dvd - not sure about the games as we never had a ps2 before - although we have lots of ps1 games - should i try one of them to see if it works ?? or is it only ps2 games that are supposed to be regional??

i will try a ps1 game - (from uk) & see if this works in my ps2 .

ttfn
pootle26
Just to clear up the op question.

Yes brit games work in oz and vice versa.

I bought a slim ps2 in oz and it works fine here as most tv s are PAL(europe,aus/nz) and NTSC (USA/Japan etc) compatable these days

The playstations here and oz are in PAL same as uk, instead of ntsc like usa japan etc.

YOU CANNOT PLAY A PAL BASED GAME ON NTSC SYSTEM AND VICE VERSA. IT HAS TO BE PAL TO PAL AND NTSC TO NTSC.

Id wait for the ps3 to come out personally as it will be better and faster machine, or if you must buy a ps2 now then try and get an already chipped one where you can play "imported"(copied) games and dvds on as it works out cheaper in the long run(i am told ahem)

The playing of copied dvds and games is illegal and i would not condone it by the way(especially for dimias sake if you are watching!!)

Hope this clears up your prob.

al

Last edited by alkristensen; Dec 3rd 2005 at 10:59 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:01 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Playstation 2

Originally Posted by alkristensen
The playing of copied dvds and games is illegal and i would not condone it by the way(especially for dimias sake if you are watching!!)
Actually it is not illegal if you own the original as you are allowed to back up your own CD's, DVD's etc. I backup the kids games and they use them which prevents the originals getting ruined.

Obviously it is illegal to copy them and sell or even give them to other people!

R.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 4:27 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

I got caught out by buying DVD's in Oz, which then didn't work on my UK DVD player. Didn't know about the multi regions at the time.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

so the chipped PS1 and x Box my son has can be brought over to Aus without me being thrown into jail?

And should I chip the PS2 to play Aus games instead of PAL?

cheers Lace x

Not wanting to be deported before I get there lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.