Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Playing golf in Australia

Wikiposts

Playing golf in Australia

Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:27 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Playing golf in Australia

I gave away my golf clubs before I moved to SA at the beginning of 2004 and since then have been tempted to play three games but keep getting into stupid mix-ups.

Last year I played in our annual work competition and turned up with my nicely spiked cricket boots. They are plain white and are so comfortable and I used to play in them all the time in the UK and people admired them. They wouldn't allow them on the course here in SA because of the spikes for some reason. I was ok because I had some trainers to wear. Another English bloke turned up with spikes and he had nothing else to wear so he had to play in a pair of ordinary black shoes. I'm sure he got sore feet and certainly felt a dick.

Yesterday I played again and this time I had ordered a golf buggy so we could play the holes but between the four of us could share a drive around the course. I turned up and was told there was no "buggy" because I had ordered a "buggy" not a "cart"! Ugh?

Now hang on what am I talking about? Well, in the UK you can carry your clubs on a golf trolley, but here they call a trolley a buggy. A "buggy" the Aussies call a "cart".

Couldn't see a bloody horse so why is it a bloody cart. Jees this country frustrates me so much sometimes!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

jobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to all
Default Re: Playing golf in Australia

LOL.........

When's a buggy not a buggy................when it's a cart......
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here just over 3 months and I've been looking for someone to play a game of golf with. If you are interested in getting out one evening or on a Saturday morning, PM me and we'll find a nice easy course. (I'm not a very good golfer, but do like to get out now and then)
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
I gave away my golf clubs before I moved to SA at the beginning of 2004 and since then have been tempted to play three games but keep getting into stupid mix-ups.

Last year I played in our annual work competition and turned up with my nicely spiked cricket boots. They are plain white and are so comfortable and I used to play in them all the time in the UK and people admired them. They wouldn't allow them on the course here in SA because of the spikes for some reason. I was ok because I had some trainers to wear. Another English bloke turned up with spikes and he had nothing else to wear so he had to play in a pair of ordinary black shoes. I'm sure he got sore feet and certainly felt a dick.

Yesterday I played again and this time I had ordered a golf buggy so we could play the holes but between the four of us could share a drive around the course. I turned up and was told there was no "buggy" because I had ordered a "buggy" not a "cart"! Ugh?

Now hang on what am I talking about? Well, in the UK you can carry your clubs on a golf trolley, but here they call a trolley a buggy. A "buggy" the Aussies call a "cart".

Couldn't see a bloody horse so why is it a bloody cart. Jees this country frustrates me so much sometimes!
It's just as confusing when you come the other way - I always thought of a trolley as something a tea lady wheeled around!! The first time I ordered a buggy, I was told that they weren't allowed on the course. When I told them that I couldn't carry my clubs, they suggested I use a trolley. And golf pants? Well, no one wants to know what you wear under your 'trousers'. It all takes a bit of getting used to.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

jobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We've been here just over 3 months and I've been looking for someone to play a game of golf with. If you are interested in getting out one evening or on a Saturday morning, PM me and we'll find a nice easy course. (I'm not a very good golfer, but do like to get out now and then)
If you want an easy course to start off on North Lakes isn't too bad, it's just off Main Road North near Munno Para. I played.....having never played golf before!........there with my brother in Feb this year. Not a bad 9 hole course, and cheap if you have your own clubs.

Once my visa is finalised and I get there, early next year hopefully, we are going to make a regular date of playing every weekend, maybe we could all meet up, try a different course every week etc. There's heaps about in and around Adelaide....
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jobart
If you want an easy course to start off on North Lakes isn't too bad, it's just off Main Road North near Munno Para. I played.....having never played golf before!........there with my brother in Feb this year. Not a bad 9 hole course, and cheap if you have your own clubs.

Once my visa is finalised and I get there, early next year hopefully, we are going to make a regular date of playing every weekend, maybe we could all meet up, try a different course every week etc. There's heaps about in and around Adelaide....
It's a date. My hub has only played a couple of times, but it would be a nice way for us to get out and meet some people. My mom and I used to play in a ladies league a few years ago and when everyone got to the course they would put all the names in a hat to decide who was playing with who. That way we got to meet everyone and play with all different skill levels. We usually played best ball, too so it was fun for everyone. Let me know when you get here and we'll make a defo date.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I LOVE playing golf, mainly for the walk as I am crap shot... .. but I love that it's non elitest out here and that you can book and show up. No fancy dress required, no snobbery.

I know someone who moved to Australia from the UK so he could play golf without having to do silly money...
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's a date. My hub has only played a couple of times, but it would be a nice way for us to get out and meet some people. My mom and I used to play in a ladies league a few years ago and when everyone got to the course they would put all the names in a hat to decide who was playing with who. That way we got to meet everyone and play with all different skill levels. We usually played best ball, too so it was fun for everyone. Let me know when you get here and we'll make a defo date.
Great, look forward to it..........

Meanwhile, if you and OH want any more info there's a load of links to golf course's here.....http://www.adelaidebound.com/golf.html