Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying a house,is it madness

buying a house,is it madness

Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:32 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default buying a house,is it madness

i am going over to perth in January to have a look round to see if i like it there.
here's the question.....

if you had the money to buy a place and you found your dream house.would you buy it???

heres the madness bit,,they haven't even given me my residency yet...you have to laugh dont ya,god dam crazy fool!!!!

but.if i got turned down,yes i would be heart broken but if the price of property keeps going up i would only be the costs down,might even earn a few pound and i would have to sell it.

should i get on the ladder in January or wait until October or even later when the house prices may have risen again???

Aston,,,

Last edited by aston man; Nov 18th 2006 at 8:42 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:43 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a house,is it madness

Originally Posted by aston man
i am going over to perth in January to have a look round to see if i like it there.
here's the question.....

if you had the money to buy a place and you found your dream house.would you buy it???

heres the madness bit,,they haven't even given me my residency yet...you have to laugh dont ya,god dam crazy fool!!!!

but.if i got turned down,yes i would be heart broken but if the price of property keeps going up i would only be the costs down,might even earn a few pound.

should i get on the ladder in January or wait until October or even later when the house prices may have risen again???

Aston,,,
If you haven't been before I thought the general consensus was to rent for 6/12 months after you arrive in case you don't like your particular area and want to move away...

Seems to be enough doubt there...!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:56 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
If you haven't been before I thought the general consensus was to rent for 6/12 months after you arrive in case you don't like your particular area and want to move away...

Seems to be enough doubt there...!
your right there rodders about the doubt there

just thinking about rising house prices and getting on the ladder.my original intentions where like as you say rent but that would mean giving house prices another 18 months in my case to rise.

if i buy in jan,perhaps something under construction move into it in october and if i dont like it after six months,sell the blighter..

any thoughts..
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:59 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

cant you get someone in Perth to do a straight swap for your house in brum??

just a thought
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
cant you get someone in Perth to do a straight swap for your house in brum??just a thought

ive sold it mate,i have got to be out in 3-4 weeks.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:13 pm
Going going.........

Little miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to all

So we were told by an australian adviser you cant buy property unless you have a visa,unless things haved changed
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:20 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

your right there rodders about the doubt there

just thinking about rising house prices and getting on the ladder.my original intentions where like as you say rent but that would mean giving house prices another 18 months in my case to rise.

if i buy in jan,perhaps something under construction move into it in october and if i dont like it after six months,sell the blighter..

any thoughts..
If they keep going up at 30% pa then you'd be onto a winner...

However that's got to stop sooner or later because wages aren't going up by 30% pa... It's just a question of when... Don't think there'll be a bust cycle out there straight away, just a flattening...

If you could buy right now then if it was me I'd do it because it seems there's definitely a bit more to go... As long as you get the location right, etc... However you probably wouldn't be in a position to complete for several months and by then who knows...

One thing's for sure... You'll lose nothing, and still have all your options open to you, by keeping your cash in the bank...
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

here's the question.....

but.if i got turned down,yes i would be heart broken but if the price of property keeps going up i would only be the costs down,might even earn a few pound and i would have to sell it.

Aston,,,
I'm not going to comment on whether it's mad. We often only know this in hindsight.

Couple of points though - I don't think you get the $7k first time home buyers grant if you are not resident and there are rules on what non-residents can buy (although you can seek permission for houses that fall outside the rules).

Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldnt advise it, seen too many poms end up with first month buys , like gas guzzlers cause petrol seemed cheap in pounds/ or black cars, bit :scared: in this climate. Houses they have trouble re-selling because they bought in area they later discover is hoon heaven or a design nightmare house that might appeal to a UK buyer but not an aussie.

If you havent been to OZ, time might be better spent looking at perth then looking at another state, thats another big error, settle in the place of arrival then realise another state would have suited much better.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:33 pm
Going going.........

Little miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Wouldnt advise it, seen too many poms end up with first month buys , like gas guzzlers cause petrol seemed cheap in pounds/ or black cars, bit :scared: in this climate. Houses they have trouble re-selling because they bought in area they later discover is hoon heaven or a design nightmare house that might appeal to a UK buyer but not an aussie.

If you havent been to OZ, time might be better spent looking at perth then looking at another state, thats another big error, settle in the place of arrival then realise another state would have suited much better.
I agree we went to Perth and didnt settle, and now we are going to the Gold Coast
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:45 pm
Banned

well its perth or nothing for us,we are settling in perth by family,so it makes things a little easier for us.

i am a little confused,if i was to buy a house here in england this is what i do,its not hard..
i would go and knock on the doors next to the house in question,introduce myself and after 30 seconds i would have them summed up,just ask them if there were any problems in the area.drive round the area on a night,go in the local shops and ask people what the areas like.job done.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:47 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

good effort,no going back now
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:11 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

well its perth or nothing for us,we are settling in perth by family,so it makes things a little easier for us.

i am a little confused,if i was to buy a house here in england this is what i do,its not hard..
i would go and knock on the doors next to the house in question,introduce myself and after 30 seconds i would have them summed up,just ask them if there were any problems in the area.drive round the area on a night,go in the local shops and ask people what the areas like.job done.
AM ,that might work in the uk ,but in aust. things are completely different . when you knock on the door of your neighbour's house you are relying on there opinion .which with Australia's social psychology being different to the UK's you will not sum them up in a year let alone 30seconds. plus you say you're not here yet. the most sensible thing to do is to rent for 6-12 months investigate all areas all aspects including the costs involve in buying .
remember the adage act in haste repent at leisure. it will serve well under the circumstances you describe .knocking on a few doors ,and a one night drive by will revile very little . hope this helps.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If your happy to do it, then go ahead, your paying for it not us
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If your happy to do it, then go ahead, your paying for it not us

well thanks chaps..you've been a great help as usual

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.