Plasma TVs

Old Nov 1st 2004, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

dakook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plasma TVs

Hey. I am living in the uK and consdering buying a Plasma TV. I may be moving to Oz permanently at some stage so was wondeing if it would work in Australia as well? Plesase help....

Dakook
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Plasma TVs

Short answer:

For sources connected via direct video and audio inputs -- Yes.
For watching off-air broadcasts via the TV's built-in tuner -- No.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:43 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakook
Hey. I am living in the uK and consdering buying a Plasma TV. I may be moving to Oz permanently at some stage so was wondeing if it would work in Australia as well? Plesase help....

Dakook
Flash git!

D D
Old Nov 1st 2004, 7:17 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

There are many threads describing TV's working in Aus or not.. But before you get too excited.... your main problem is likely to be shipping it out to Aus... My panasonic plasma is going to a good home in the UK rather than being shipped because of the problems, insurance is difficult because they're both so expensive and fragile, a bad combination for insurers!... they have to be transported vertically and packed in about 8" of padding!. so dont throw the box away!.

If you buy one - expect to be sticking it on ebay rather than putting it in a container!.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 8:52 am
Just Joined

dakook is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys... appreciate it. One more question... what about a projector tv... you know the ones that come down from your celing and project onto a screen..like in the movies? would iit work in Oz?

Dakook
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Why don't uyou just wait until you get to Oz and buy one when you get here?

Regards
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:02 am
owieb

Originally Posted by dakook
Thanks guys... appreciate it. One more question... what about a projector tv... you know the ones that come down from your celing and project onto a screen..like in the movies? would iit work in Oz?

Dakook
Yes it will. A projector does exactly that, it "projects" whatever is fed into it. To display "normal" tv you would need a digibox or a humble vcr with a tuner will do the job.

I shipped my projector, screen and all my home cinema stuff over. Bit surprised people are having so much problems with shipping plasmas!?!

My projector is a CRT, weighs 65kg and is worth about £12K. I just put it in a really big box, stuffed it full of cushions, duvets, bubble wrap etc and had no problems.

But I do agree with others in that you would be best to buy something here if you don't already have it. Not sure how prices compare, but plasmas are under the $5K mark now.

Last edited by owieb; Nov 2nd 2004 at 9:18 am.

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

thegreatmughal is on a distinguished road

i am also thinking the same.. it wil make u less tense while shiftin to oz. trust me.. and it is a good idea to buy things for oz in oz
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW (which is probably not a lot) we are beginning to get our setup after the move here.

Plasmas and LCDs are not that different in price to the UK. We bought LCD because I don't think the lifetime of plasmas is going to match them, and also plasmas use a LOT of electricity - look at the ratings plate or put your hand to the back!

Oz has high definition transmissions as well as standard definition digital. Our HD settop box cost around $650 and gives a beautiful picture on a JVC LCD - pity about the programs!

A new type of quasi-LCD based on organic plastic molecules is I understand near production: it offers much better quality for a fraction of the price - another reason to put off buying!