Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Planning Permission in Perth & Bris, how long.

Planning Permission in Perth & Bris, how long.

Old Feb 4th 2006, 8:55 am
Just Joined

brisbane babe will become famous soon enoughbrisbane babe will become famous soon enough
Default Planning Permission in Perth & Bris, how long.

Can anyone tell me how long it is taking to obtain planning permission either in Perth or Brisbane, I'm trying to find out if there is any difference in timescale and how easy it is to obtain.
Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:11 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Planning Permission in Perth & Bris, how long.

Originally Posted by brisbane babe
Can anyone tell me how long it is taking to obtain planning permission either in Perth or Brisbane, I'm trying to find out if there is any difference in timescale and how easy it is to obtain.
Thanks
what are you wanting to build and in what area? planning is on a zoning system here so planning permission as such is not always required. if it's a house on a housing estate then usually 6- 8 weeks would be considered normal but depends on which council etc....

give me some more info and i will try to help a bit more
Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:11 am
‹(•¿•)›

Superstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
This is a subject very close to my heart as we are in the process of building a house here in Brisbane, don't know anything about Perth though.

Basically, how long is a piece of string.

The council here seem to drag their feet for months over the most basic of issues, we are almost at the stage where we will make a start and we first applied back in April last year, some people have told me things have gone quicker for them others say it has been longer.
Just be prepared for a lengthy wait due to the amount of people applying for permission and you should be fine.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

brisbane babe will become famous soon enoughbrisbane babe will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jjonboy
what are you wanting to build and in what area? planning is on a zoning system here so planning permission as such is not always required. if it's a house on a housing estate then usually 6- 8 weeks would be considered normal but depends on which council etc....

give me some more info and i will try to help a bit more
Hi
Thanks for reply. We would like to design and build a three bed house on a large plot maybe 4/5 arcres, somewhere a bit rural but within driving distance of shops etc, havent been to Oz yet so all a bit daunting as how and where to start. Can you explain the zones?
Thanks
Wend
Old Feb 4th 2006, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Superstar
This is a subject very close to my heart as we are in the process of building a house here in Brisbane, don't know anything about Perth though.

Basically, how long is a piece of string.

The council here seem to drag their feet for months over the most basic of issues, we are almost at the stage where we will make a start and we first applied back in April last year, some people have told me things have gone quicker for them others say it has been longer.
Just be prepared for a lengthy wait due to the amount of people applying for permission and you should be fine.
Sounds a bit like the U.K no change there then. Did you manage to locate builders O.k as I understand they, and building materials are in short supply. Bang goes my idea of a new house for next year. I'll have bring out the tent and me camping stove.
Thanks
Wend
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:59 am
‹(•¿•)›

Superstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a bit like the U.K no change there then. Did you manage to locate builders O.k as I understand they, and building materials are in short supply. Bang goes my idea of a new house for next year. I'll have bring out the tent and me camping stove.
Thanks
Wend
Hi Wend, I should of said in my original post that we are developing a block that has no services at present so we are responsible for water sewerage electricity and telephone etc. This is the major hold up as well as the completion of an access road to the property. The council insists that we complete these jobs before construction of the actual house begins.
If you decide to buy a block in an existing estate or similar then a house can literally be thrown up in way less than a year from the time of purchase to moving in.
Good luck.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 10:17 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Superstar]Hi Wend, I should of said in my original post that we are developing a block that has no services at present so we are responsible for water sewerage electricity and telephone etc. This is the major hold up as well as the completion of an access road to the property. The council insists that we complete these jobs before construction of the actual house begins.
If you decide to buy a block in an existing estate or similar then a house can literally be thrown up in way less than a year from the time of purchase to moving in.
Good luck. [/
Sounds Like your having fun, I doubt if we will build on an estate, we would like something a bit rural, might be easier to buy and older building knock it down and start again at least all the services will be in place. Good luck with yours too.
Wend