Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Planning on moving to Cairns - help!

Planning on moving to Cairns - help!

Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:36 am
Just Joined

PMuller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning on moving to Cairns - help!

My wife and I are anticipating arriving in Cairns later this year, hoping to be able to settle there. We have previously spent 20 years in Victoria, but have since been out of the country for a long time and things have probabably changed.

Our first issue is to rent short term accommodation (for a couple) on arrival. Any recommendations for a modest flat/unit/studio?? We won't have wheels, so it would need to be convenient to supplies and town centre. It would be great to be able to tee it up in advance of arrival. What would we have to pay?

Also, does anyone have current information on the requirements for renting accommodation long term? In London you have to pay money upfront to an agent before even sniffing what they have on the books, plus credit checks, references, the works! - all taking time and hassle. Is it the same in Cairns?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

kat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning on moving to Cairns - help!

Hi there,
Your post reminds me much of one I posted just a few months ago and i got lots of good info from three members who live in Cairns and know the area really well. My partner and I are moving to Cairns in July - can't wait! This is the link to the thread I posted which should give you some info on possible short term accomodation;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653346

We booked a holiday lodge through expedia for a week in a holiday park called White Rock. It is basic but was extremely good value. I think there are a few similar holiday parks and this may suit you if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep whilst you explore your new town and find a suitable apartment to rent! I have been looking on realestate.com.au at modern apartments and there appears to be lots of availability. I think the process for renting is:
*Arrange a viewing (not sure if these are individual or group)
*Submit an application and references
*Sign a six or twelve month rental agreement to start with
*Sign an inventory (and take photos as proof)
*Pay a bond
*Move in

Hoping so anyway!

As for transport, we plan to buy a car privately as soon as we can through hostel noticeboards, gumtree, or drive.com.au but have arranged to hire a car through cairns older car hire which is only costing us $90 for 3 days so you may want to consider hiring a car to get around and see the different suburbs and see what suits you.

Hope the link above works (if not you could search 'cairns short term rentals' and it should come up) I found the advice given was very helpful to me in planning our first weeks accomodation and fingers crossed the process for renting an apartment is as straightforward as I think it is!

Good Luck
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Planning on moving to Cairns - help!

Thanks Kat3 - that's very helpful. Will try to follow up leads. A while back we stayed in Brisbane in an old Queenslander house which let out rooms by the week, which provided a medium-period solution to the accommodation at a modest price. I thought maybe there would be something like that in Cairns, rather than tourist-priced short term holiday lets. Perhaps that's asking too much in a Reef town! But that's a great start - thanks.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

sarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nice

We came to Cairns 9 weeks ago and found it hard without a car, mind we did come in the middle of the summer, and we were melting. We managed to find a car after several days constantly looking, we also found a rental and school for our two kids all within two weeks.
In relation to the rental, we needed at least four references (I had two from my new employer and had character references from our employers in the UK) and we also needed 100 points of identity (banks class a passport as 100 points whereas our rental I think it was worth 30-40 points) Get your medicare card asap as that also counts towards identity points. We live out in Redlynch which is lovely (it seems alot of brits live out here) but you need wheels as its about 10-15 mins drive to city. Rentals should be easy enough to find if you aren't too bothered where you live but do some research on the areas as some appear a bit "rough". Most rentals are for 6 months but you can get some for shorter times but you will pay more. We paid a months rent as a bond and then a further two weeks upfront. It took about a week from finding it to moving in (we did hassle them a bit though ) its a lovely complex with a big and a small pool and the gardens are immaculate. A lot of free units at the moment ( people come and go depending on the season) and it has security gates. ideal for us.

Another thing, try and secure a job before you come out as Cairns has high unemployment at the moment but we have been told this should pick up within a couple of months when its more "tourist" season.

Hope this helps a bit, if you need more information pm me and I will try and answer. Good Luck
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sarmstrong!
That's very helpful,although 4 refs seems very heavy. If you come across any specific short term possibilities I'd be very interested to hear more. Wish you well for your own situation, but you sound well organised - you probablydon'tneed luck!
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!
I agree, 4 references is high! We only needed two but it does vary from agent to agent. There are places close to the cirty that do 3 month lets. I'll have a look in the next few days & give you some names.
You will need a car asap as public transport is hopeless & taxis not cheap although I work with someone who has been here a couple of years, living in the city & she has only just bought a car, so I guess it's a presonal thing.

Susan - welcome to Cairns! Hope you are settling in well!
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Hi Sally - and thanks for the advice. We're still at the planning stages and have yet to arrive in Cairns. I agree, we probably will need a car, although here in London we've managed for some years without - it's very freeing and so cheap!

I'm very interested in the 3 month option for accommodation, so if you can provide any names of actual places to approach that would be brilliant.

Peter
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Hello

You WILL need a car. I lived in Cairns on and off for about 14 months and I am a very experienced non driver - i.e., good at finding ways to get from A to B without a car and Cairns stumped me. So much so that having fallen totally in love with the place - I have come back to the UK for 12 months and will return with a driver's licence and with the intention of buying a car as soon as I step off a plane.

Ditto for work - high unemployment and if you are not medically qualified or do not have extensive experience in the tourist industry - you will struggle so please do as much home work as possible - now if only I could take my own advice.

But it is a totally awesome place to live as long as you don't mind heat and humidity!
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMuller
Hi Sally - and thanks for the advice. We're still at the planning stages and have yet to arrive in Cairns. I agree, we probably will need a car, although here in London we've managed for some years without - it's very freeing and so cheap!

I'm very interested in the 3 month option for accommodation, so if you can provide any names of actual places to approach that would be brilliant.

Peter
Just give me a few days & I'll get back to you.
Oh & Cairns public transport in no way resembles anything you would get in London

To Sue - passed that driving test yet matey?
Old May 6th 2010, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to both of you - Sally and Sue. And good luck, Sue witht the driving test!!
Old May 7th 2010, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to both of you - Sally and Sue. And good luck, Sue witht the driving test!!
Very jealous. I love that part of oz and that is where i would like to end up (mission beach). Hope you have, or get jobs really quick and enjoy. As for renting show them account statement. I am so Jealous. Enjoy and all the best.
Old May 9th 2010, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK here goes!
We actually looked at City Plaza when we first arrived & thought they were nice apts but too small for us with two big boys but ideal for a couple or a family with smaller children. You would need to contact them for a long stay rate but the longer you commit to, the cheaper the weekly rate. It is a couple of minutes to the northern end of the Esplanande & couple of minutes to bus route into the city centre but you could walk in if you were feeling so inclined.http://www.cityplazacairns.com.au/HOME.12.0.html

This place would be a great location! http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...irns-404535486

This is where we stayed when we first arrived but I am not sure if they do longer lets. Very nice place & good location & always worth an enquiry!
http://www.181.com.au/

Have a look on realestate.com.au & contact agents to see if they will consider 3 month lets. If you don't mind being further out, there are some great value apts at Clifton Beach that you may get at a good rental as they are struggling to fill them due to economic downturn. There is a good little shopping centre there & buses into the city & it is a nice area.

If I can help with anything else, just ask!
PS When are you hoping to come out? If you come in low season, you are in a much stronger position to negotiate a good deal.
Old May 10th 2010, 11:30 am
Just Joined

You're a mine of info, Sally! Will check them out. At present we hope to be there in late October/early November. Is that low season? When exactly is low?
Old May 10th 2010, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Mark - Thanks for the support and enthusiasm. Maybe you can get there too, why not?
Old May 11th 2010, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're a mine of info, Sally! Will check them out. At present we hope to be there in late October/early November. Is that low season? When exactly is low?
We will just be going into low season at that time. Apparently no-one wants to visit when it is hot & humid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.