Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Planning to move and terrified...

Planning to move and terrified...

Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:00 pm
r11
Forum Regular

r11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning to move and terrified...

We got out 175 Visa a couple of months ago.....

Now we are in the process of selling the house and planning the move.

I'm terrified about the job situation. We would ideally like to move with at least one job secured. Both me and my husband been applying non-stop for jobs, but the responses have been either:

1) You need to be in the country to be considered - primarily from recruiters
2) Non-existent

We are willing to move immediately, we have even offered to fly in for interviews.

We just don't want to move without at least one job. We have two boys (5 and 3). Even though we could survive several months without an income, we don't want to blow up our savings.

At some point we need to make a call and if we can't find a job outside of OZ, then move hoping we'll find one there.

I'm willing to do any temporary jobs until I find a real job, but I'm wondering if these temporary jobs are easier to get. Do you need special qualifications/trades/licenses to be a waiter/house keeper/nanny. Any other ideas??

I'm a Mechanical Engineer and my husband is a Program Manager, we both have over 15years professional experience. We know our job search could take some time, but I'm terrified of moving without an income and two kids.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:03 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move and terrified...

Going back 30 years to January 1983 I was in almost exactly the same position - Mechanical engineer with wife and two daughters aged 5 & 3, no job to come to, nothing but one Australian family in Adelaide to put us up when we got off the plane, all sold up in the UK.

I landed a couple of temporary jobs (6 weeks starting in April, a bit longer starting August) before I landed a full-time job at the end of September. Australia was having a recession at the time and jobs weren't easy to come by, but I've never regretted making the move. I am now near the top of my profession and have been given 5 grandchildren.

I can understand you being terrified - I was nearly sick on the plane coming over, and it wasn't motion sickness - but in my case it was definitely worth it. Obviously I can't guarantee that things will work out just as well for you as the world has changed in 30 years, but the opportunities are still there if you look for them.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone in your situation would be worried sick.... You may need more than a couple of months of money to live on... And you could end up blowing your saving.... Or you could find work quickly.... Unfortunately no one has a crystal ball....

You may not settle...You may hate it here... I know people who have arrived, been handed a job on a plate and knocked it back and gone home....

But those that have arrived and made a go of things out number those that dont significantly....

Who knows? One thing that you can be sure of... If you dont do it, you will never know what would have happened.......

Good luck whatever you decide to do
Old Jul 25th 2012, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Are there any expos coming up? Have heard of job ones in the past, not sure if they are any good? Do your present companies have offices here? Sorry cant help but we put off going abroad for years for the same reason so completely understand.
Best of luck
Old Jul 25th 2012, 12:04 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r11
We got out 175 Visa a couple of months ago.....

Now we are in the process of selling the house and planning the move.

I'm terrified about the job situation. We would ideally like to move with at least one job secured. Both me and my husband been applying non-stop for jobs, but the responses have been either:

1) You need to be in the country to be considered - primarily from recruiters
2) Non-existent

We are willing to move immediately, we have even offered to fly in for interviews.

We just don't want to move without at least one job. We have two boys (5 and 3). Even though we could survive several months without an income, we don't want to blow up our savings.

At some point we need to make a call and if we can't find a job outside of OZ, then move hoping we'll find one there.

I'm willing to do any temporary jobs until I find a real job, but I'm wondering if these temporary jobs are easier to get. Do you need special qualifications/trades/licenses to be a waiter/house keeper/nanny. Any other ideas??

I'm a Mechanical Engineer and my husband is a Program Manager, we both have over 15years professional experience. We know our job search could take some time, but I'm terrified of moving without an income and two kids.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.
It's hard to get a job before you come, it is less hard to get interviews. If you can set up a few interviews for your first weeks here you will greatly increase your chances of getting a job.

But don't email recruiters and employers - ring them. Get up at 5am and call them. You will greatly increase your chances.

BB
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:13 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It's hard to get a job before you come, it is less hard to get interviews. If you can set up a few interviews for your first weeks here you will greatly increase your chances of getting a job.

But don't email recruiters and employers - ring them. Get up at 5am and call them. You will greatly increase your chances.

BB
Echoing what Buzzy--Bee says....

Australians (in general) are crap at responding to emails. You HAVE to pick up the phone.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you planning to move to?

If its Sydney/Melbourne there should be enough casual/temp work to keep you going.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:49 am
r11
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

BB
I'll definitely start calling every time I submit something. If anything, it might get my aussie accent going.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:57 am
r11
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Where are you planning to move to?

If its Sydney/Melbourne there should be enough casual/temp work to keep you going.
I'm glad to hear Sydney/Melbourne have some temp work to keep us going.

Right now we are applying for jobs in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane. If we don't find a job while outside of Australia, we'll probably go to Melbourne. That's were we think we can find a job faster.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:42 am
r11
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eddie007
Anyone in your situation would be worried sick.... You may need more than a couple of months of money to live on... And you could end up blowing your saving.... Or you could find work quickly.... Unfortunately no one has a crystal ball....

You may not settle...You may hate it here... I know people who have arrived, been handed a job on a plate and knocked it back and gone home....

But those that have arrived and made a go of things out number those that dont significantly....

Who knows? One thing that you can be sure of... If you dont do it, you will never know what would have happened.......

Good luck whatever you decide to do
You couldn't have said it better! We are going with an open mind and even though we dream about going to Australia, it might not be what we expect. We just have to try it.

We look at it as an adventure, we might loose some money along the way, but we can always return to our same boring life.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:52 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r11
Right now we are applying for jobs in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane. If we don't find a job while outside of Australia, we'll probably go to Melbourne. That's were we think we can find a job faster.
Depends on where your engineering expertise lies - there is a lot of work in Brisbane working for the coal seam gas projects.

Try APLNG, QCLNG, GLNG, and Arrow Energy
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be disheartened that you cannot find a job from overseas, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. In fact you are just stressing yourself out by trying to do that.

We both experienced exactly the same, yet within 10 days of arriving on a validation trip we both had job offers. As an engineer I would not have thought you would have toooo much trouble.

I have a contrary opinion to the pick up the phone approach. Firstly not every recruiter is Australian and secondly I know that if somebody tracked me down and picked up the phone to ask about positions, I would be mightily hacked off and they would get short shrift. So it might not work with everyone.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Can you take a career break and not sell your house? In this economic climate I am not sure I would be burning any bridges. Your kids are still young enough that you wont screw up their education but you should be prepared for 3 months of unemployment at least and then if you pick something up within that time frame then it's a bonus.

Only thing you might need to get a waiting job is a RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate and you can do that on line IIRC but being a waitress isnt really going to do more than put baked beans on toast on the table.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Planning to move and terrified...

Originally Posted by quoll
being a waitress isnt really going to do more than put baked beans on toast on the table.
....don't fancy that restaurant much.....

BB
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
but being a waitress isnt really going to do more than put baked beans on toast on the table.
I take it you've never waitressed before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.