Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Planning to Move to Australia in 2013

Planning to Move to Australia in 2013

Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Robby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really nice
Default Planning to Move to Australia in 2013

Hi everyone, My name is Robby, I'm currently living in Plymouth and myself and my wife are planning to move to Australia in 2013.

We have done quite a bit of research but have probably only just scratched the surface. We have both, at different times in our lives, been out that way; my wife more than me and we have weighed up the pros and cons and have decided that a life in Australia is definitely for us.

I'm currently serving in the British Navy and will shortly be applying for the Royal Australian Navy. I work in communications which is, lucky for me a sought after trade in the RAN.

We are interested in hearing from people that have taken the big step that we are planning. No doubt there are factors that we haven't even considered yet!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:35 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Planning to Move to Australia in 2013

Hello Robby welcome to BE Which state are you headed for?
Good luck on your immi journey!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Robby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really niceRobby_R is just really nice

Originally Posted by PamE
Hello Robby welcome to BE Which state are you headed for?
Good luck on your immi journey!
Hi!, it depends on which base I get posted to, assuming I get accepted! The majority of bases are in the either Queensland or NSW but who knows!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 8:53 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robby_R
Hi!, it depends on which base I get posted to, assuming I get accepted! The majority of bases are in the either Queensland or NSW but who knows!
Robby,

Have you applied yet to the RAN? One of my chiefs went out at the back end of last year (MESM) and is loving it. It was quite a drawn out process and took him 18 months in total from sending off the EOI to signing on and flying out.

He had extra medical stuff to do being a dirty sludge-mariner though

The 2&1/2 has just changed as well as it's no longer Terry George, not sure if the website has been updated yet but Wendy Hughes is his relief.

If you do get accepted it's a good deal. Business class flights with a stopover, extra baggage allowance and shipping all included

They have just changed the rules and it's a 6 year return of service not 3.

if you have any questions feel free to PM me although as they don't want WE's like me I'm going down the civvy visa route
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Robby,

Have you applied yet to the RAN? One of my chiefs went out at the back end of last year (MESM) and is loving it. It was quite a drawn out process and took him 18 months in total from sending off the EOI to signing on and flying out.

He had extra medical stuff to do being a dirty sludge-mariner though

The 2&1/2 has just changed as well as it's no longer Terry George, not sure if the website has been updated yet but Wendy Hughes is his relief.

If you do get accepted it's a good deal. Business class flights with a stopover, extra baggage allowance and shipping all included

They have just changed the rules and it's a 6 year return of service not 3.

if you have any questions feel free to PM me although as they don't want WE's like me I'm going down the civvy visa route
Look out! I smell something fishy....... Get your bell bottoms out!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:11 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exsquaddie
Look out! I smell something fishy....... Get your bell bottoms out!
Tiff, never worn bell bottoms

Remember every where the army goes, the pong goes too
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

No need to think any ffurther mate. With your experience you will be more than fine - go for it asap and bol
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:12 am
Just Joined

I've got 2 years and 8 months left, me and the missus have had a long chat about it and it's definitley for us. I want to get the ball rolling as quick as poss.

There is so much to think about: Visas and such, moving and if you are accepted what do they pay out for to get you over there if anything?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:15 am
Shiny Arse Know All

I've got 2 years and 8 months left, me and the missus have had a long chat about it and it's definitley for us. I want to get the ball rolling as quick as poss.

There is so much to think about: Visas and such, moving and if you are accepted what do they pay out for to get you over there if anything?
See my post above

They pay for your flights, visa costs, medicals, shipping , the lot! you would be on an ENS121 visa and would be expected to take citizenship within 3 months. Your missus would still have to wait the 4 years.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone, My name is Robby, I'm currently living in Plymouth and myself and my wife are planning to move to Australia in 2013.

We have done quite a bit of research but have probably only just scratched the surface. We have both, at different times in our lives, been out that way; my wife more than me and we have weighed up the pros and cons and have decided that a life in Australia is definitely for us.

I'm currently serving in the British Navy and will shortly be applying for the Royal Australian Navy. I work in communications which is, lucky for me a sought after trade in the RAN.

We are interested in hearing from people that have taken the big step that we are planning. No doubt there are factors that we haven't even considered yet!
Try the jamaican navy. Its alot more laid back and the ores probably wont be broke.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:41 am
Just Joined

See my post above

They pay for your flights, visa costs, medicals, shipping , the lot! you would be on an ENS121 visa and would be expected to take citizenship within 3 months. Your missus would still have to wait the 4 years.
That's cracking! The RN thinks that I have outlived my usefulness, they won't give me 2OE! I'm only going to be just 40 as I joined up at 16!

I'm just working on my CV, only had one job since leaving school.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

That's cracking! The RN thinks that I have outlived my usefulness, they won't give me 2OE! I'm only going to be just 40 as I joined up at 16!

I'm just working on my CV, only had one job since leaving school.
Sound's like your leaving at the right time with Ark Royal being scrapped! Oh by the way welcome to BE and good luck with the transfer! See you have already found other similar web footed and overly male friendly Matelot types here you will fit right in......
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Tiff, never worn bell bottoms

Remember every where the army goes, the pong goes too
I'm fully domesticated now Mr Seaman Staines thank you!!!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Some guidance sent to me from a Snr Recruit Manager from ADF Recruitment when I had raised some question to him concerning a friend and what prospects he faced. The reply is dated 8 Mar 11:

G'day John,

Yeah you are right, our Navy will definately look at lateral transfers. I would say that i'd recommend your friend to remain in the UK forces and attempt a transfer whilst still serving. The process takes a ridiculous amount of time if he discharges then tries to join up ab initio.

In the Recruiting world, we would only look after him if he was discharged from the UK Navy. As i mentioned, this takes a long time to sort as we would need to source his service docs and history from the Brits which isn't high on the priority list at most career management agencies.

The other option is to apply direct from the UK Navy to our Navy. I don't have the contact details on hand, but he should direct his enquiries to the Directorate of Naval Officer Postings (DNOP) which i'm sure he could google. They would point him in the right direction towards the lateral transfers cell.

Hope this answers your question.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info, not sure how that would work with me, I am out in 2013 and if I go early I wouldn't be entitled to my pension or gratuity.

At the moment, I have time on my side which is good. I am keen to get the ball rolling on this so that all my admin is squared away so I can just leave one and step across to the other.

I'm going to email the officer who deals with transistions and discuss my options. This is all very exciting!!!