Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

planning far far ahead.

Wikiposts

planning far far ahead.

Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: planning far far ahead.

Originally Posted by gertrudeyo
hello.

i am young. 16 and still in GCSE phase. but i have wanted to live in autralia for as long as i remember and have support of parents etc.

jsut wanted to know how it works. if i wanted to move alone would i need certain things. eg. would i have to go after i finish my a-level, or after university, or after so long working?

i want to teach primary schools if that effects anything. i know people from oz who are willing to sponsor me and help me once i am there too.
Start at http://www.immi.gov.au

Your best plan is to get yourself a good education in the UK with recognised qualifications. If you want to be a teacher then you should look to see which qualifications are recognised in Australia - some UK qualifications are recognised, others are not.

Other professions with good prospects are Chartered Accountant, Chartered Engineer, nurse, electrician/plumber etc (with formal qualifications), architect etc. Law is something of an exception - it doesn't "travel" as well as its peer profession, mainly due to protectionism.

It's likely to be some time before you can qualify to migrate to Australia and rules may have changed completely by then. So be flexible with your plans in life.

At some point you may want to take a working holiday in Australia. But this doesn't get you permanent residence. Many people prefer to qualify for migration first, and then just move to Australia.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: planning far far ahead.

There might be exceptions but to the best of my knowledge you have to be resident in Australia for three years before you can get a student loan/help with uni fees. If you could get a permanent residency visa then there might be some help earlier, but it would be a different scheme and loan not grant. I don't know how you would get PR.
If you were to try for a straightforward student visa to go to uni then you might have to pay international fees, which are VERY expensive.