Reload this Page >

plan on moving to Australia

plan on moving to Australia

Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:15 am
Just Joined

jason 37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default plan on moving to Australia

Hi every one.

my first post so go easy lol. we are thinking of moving to Australia next year and i was just wanting to know if any cable jointers are out there who can give me some info on who thay are working for and how thay came about getting a job with them.
i know it starts over here in the UK with recruitment agents and then onto the firm or companies.

Also how was you treated when arrived in Australia, was you looked after by the companies and did thay help out with any think like houseing, schools and so on.

Thank you and hope to talk soon.

Jason.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: plan on moving to Australia

It really starts with getting a visa (rather than getting a job) - that is if you plan to live here permanently.

Check out http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration.htm
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NickyC
It really starts with getting a visa (rather than getting a job) - that is if you plan to live here permanently.

Check out http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration.htm
Thanks NickyC. I know that but thanx anyway.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jason 37
Hi every one.

my first post so go easy lol. we are thinking of moving to Australia next year and i was just wanting to know if any cable jointers are out there who can give me some info on who thay are working for and how thay came about getting a job with them.
i know it starts over here in the UK with recruitment agents and then onto the firm or companies.

Also how was you treated when arrived in Australia, was you looked after by the companies and did thay help out with any think like houseing, schools and so on.

Jason.
Australia is a very big country. Where were you planning to move? Have you checked the job websites? www.seek.com.au www.careerone.com.au
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Australia is a very big country. Where were you planning to move? Have you checked the job websites? www.seek.com.au www.careerone.com.au
well the only jobs iv seen over here are from recruitments agents over here in the uk for LV HV cable jointers so i should think i have to go through them shouldnt i?

as for where we want to go is where the job location is aswell.

we have a family you see and i just wanted to make sure ppl got treated ok when that arrived. i know it might be hard,its a new life for every one who gose but you cant help but thinking will we be ok.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

well the only jobs iv seen over here are from recruitments agents over here in the uk for LV HV cable jointers so i should think i have to go through them shouldnt i?

as for where we want to go is where the job location is aswell.

we have a family you see and i just wanted to make sure ppl got treated ok when that arrived. i know it might be hard,its a new life for every one who gose but you cant help but thinking will we be ok.
From what I have read on here from people who have been sponsored, once you arrive you are on your own - you need to find your own place to live, your own schools, and your own life style. They want you to work for them - the rest is up to you.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

chrisinus is on a distinguished road

Really think about it. We spent 18 years in Australia and moved out 3 years ago. When you get to the airport you get a very friendly "g'day mate" and your happy. Then the racism starts. "Pom" is a derogartory word and anyone with a British accent will, more often than not, be kept at an arm's length. After 18 years, we have 2 real Australian friends - one lot are originally South African the other have lived in the UK so are not atomatically against all Poms. You are spoken to, but it is considered that all poms whinge the entire time and there are too many of them. If you manage to get into a area with other poms, you should be OK, but that's hard to find and do. The health system is superb by UK standards, but pay the extra and get private health as it can't be beaten anywhere in the world. The education; well. The newletters coming home from school contained so many primary level spelling and grammar level errors that I eventually went to the principal (head) and had to teach him! When we changed schools we had the same problems. Don't rush about it. It's not Shangri-La, although a great point to visit Asia. We've also, recently, tried Canada and the US and neither have worked out, mainly due to their health systems (Canada's is worse than India with it illegal to go privately and the US is really expensive even if you have top insurance cover). Good luck.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:57 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chrisinus
Really think about it. We spent 18 years in Australia and moved out 3 years ago. When you get to the airport you get a very friendly "g'day mate" and your happy. Then the racism starts. "Pom" is a derogartory word and anyone with a British accent will, more often than not, be kept at an arm's length. After 18 years, we have 2 real Australian friends - one lot are originally South African the other have lived in the UK so are not atomatically against all Poms. You are spoken to, but it is considered that all poms whinge the entire time and there are too many of them. If you manage to get into a area with other poms, you should be OK, but that's hard to find and do. The health system is superb by UK standards, but pay the extra and get private health as it can't be beaten anywhere in the world. The education; well. The newletters coming home from school contained so many primary level spelling and grammar level errors that I eventually went to the principal (head) and had to teach him! When we changed schools we had the same problems. Don't rush about it. It's not Shangri-La, although a great point to visit Asia. We've also, recently, tried Canada and the US and neither have worked out, mainly due to their health systems (Canada's is worse than India with it illegal to go privately and the US is really expensive even if you have top insurance cover). Good luck.
The part about racism towards 'poms', as you put it, doesn't reconcile with the majority of other posts on the subject. It's also not my personal experience either.

Not wanting to be rude but have you considered whether the fact that you didn't like 3 countries means that the problem is with you and not with the rest of the world?

- CDM
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

No, if you have a job which is in demand, you can get a visa independently. That way you won't be tied to an employer and can live and work wherever you fancy. If you go through an employer, they might only be willing to provide a temporary visa and they may or may not prove to be good employers.

Try looking at the Oz immigration website - this is its visa wizard - http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/ or talk to one or more migration agents, such as Ian Harrop, Go Matilda or George Lombard. They'll be able to give you an idea of whether you'd qualify for an independent visa.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CDM
The part about racism towards 'poms', as you put it, doesn't reconcile with the majority of other posts on the subject. It's also not my personal experience either.

Not wanting to be rude but have you considered whether the fact that you didn't like 3 countries means that the problem is with you and not with the rest of the world?

- CDM
I can think of worse racist comments than "Poms". You would have to be a very sensitive person to get offended by such a word.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 6:56 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helena39
I can think of worse racist comments than "Poms". You would have to be a very sensitive person to get offended by such a word.
Merely quoting the above poster.

- CDM
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:01 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Couldnt disagree with your comments more regarding Australia and racism toward migrants. Since nowhere has worked out for you, doesnt that maybe tell you something about you ?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:38 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi every one.

Jason.
have a look here mate

http://www.energex.com.au/careers/
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

chrisinus is on a distinguished road

We didn't totally see the anti-pom sentiment whilst in Australia. We only realised how much we were ignored once we left as in Canada and America we have gone back to having lots of friends. We have also now met LOTS of other English and other nationalities (Canadians and Americans) having had the same experience. We were there for 18 years and have family there so we didn't rush in and out as many do. A group from Perth took some action a few years ago because of a racist, anti-pom advert on TV and won. Pom is derogatory and is know to be so by anyone enlightened. We are a very international family and have loved most places we have lived, and Australia has lots of good points, as I stated before, but some major negative ones too - being the unfriendliness. Please also see the article on this site from the family on the Gold Coast who can't make any Australian friends either. We have not just lived in Canada and US but all over Europe and in other countries and loved most of them. If you see another current article on this site from an English man in US with cancer who is about to lose everything and will die unless he goes back to UK as he now can't work so has lost his insurance coverage which proves my point about the health system in US. This is a world renowned problem in that country so I don't quite get the derogatory comment inferring that we're making it up. I thought that Perth was a lot better for friendliness as there are a lot of Brits there, but an English lady I met in Canada had spent a few years there and had the same problem so moved to Canada, like us, only to find a non-existent health system so she's in the process of getting out. As I said, no-where is perfect and Australia has some great things about it, but anyone moving there needs to be aware of the way the Australians tend to keep you at arm's length and that was the point I was trying to make.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't totally see the anti-pom sentiment whilst in Australia. We only realised how much we were ignored once we left as in Canada and America we have gone back to having lots of friends. We have also now met LOTS of other English and other nationalities (Canadians and Americans) having had the same experience. We were there for 18 years and have family there so we didn't rush in and out as many do. A group from Perth took some action a few years ago because of a racist, anti-pom advert on TV and won. Pom is derogatory and is know to be so by anyone enlightened. We are a very international family and have loved most places we have lived, and Australia has lots of good points, as I stated before, but some major negative ones too - being the unfriendliness. Please also see the article on this site from the family on the Gold Coast who can't make any Australian friends either. We have not just lived in Canada and US but all over Europe and in other countries and loved most of them. If you see another current article on this site from an English man in US with cancer who is about to lose everything and will die unless he goes back to UK as he now can't work so has lost his insurance coverage which proves my point about the health system in US. This is a world renowned problem in that country so I don't quite get the derogatory comment inferring that we're making it up. I thought that Perth was a lot better for friendliness as there are a lot of Brits there, but an English lady I met in Canada had spent a few years there and had the same problem so moved to Canada, like us, only to find a non-existent health system so she's in the process of getting out. As I said, no-where is perfect and Australia has some great things about it, but anyone moving there needs to be aware of the way the Australians tend to keep you at arm's length and that was the point I was trying to make.
What non-existent, comparable to India health care system are you referring to in Canada? Canadian residents who are eligible for provincial health coverage are entitled to some of the best health care anywhere.

As for the Canadians you met finding the Australians racist toward them, I have found the exact opposite. 100% of Australians who ask where I'm from are interested in my home country. Not one of them in my 2.5 years here has had any sort of derogatory comment regarding my nationality - in fact, they all want me to explain why I would leave there to come here.

Sounds to me like you were not happy with the lifestyle outside Europe/UK, so it's probably best for your particular circumstances to live there. For a great many of us, Australia is the lifestyle we enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.