Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places to stay near Naval base Cerberus Melbourne

Places to stay near Naval base Cerberus Melbourne

Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Places to stay near Naval base Cerberus Melbourne

I think its near Franston or something like that.

Any cheap and cheerful accomodation tips for 2-3 nights gratefully received.

Driving down cause have massive phobia of flying now.

Jo
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Places to stay near Naval base Cerberus Melbourne

Originally Posted by joho
I think its near Franston or something like that.

Any cheap and cheerful accomodation tips for 2-3 nights gratefully received.

Driving down cause have massive phobia of flying now.

Jo
Hello,

Can't really help you with specific places but can say that you probably want to avoid Crib Point (the place next to Cerberus) and Hastings. I would look for somewhere around Balnaring or Somers. I would imagine that there are plenty of B&Bs that way and I think there is a motel in Balnaring.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:19 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you heading to Cerberus, Jo?

Best regards.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:22 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

PS. Have you a son or daughter there at the moment? Fully enlisted, or on a gap year?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I know the area very well. The naval base is very nice and has a lovely old church, a cinema which the locals can go to as well.

Hastings is close by as is Bittern, there is a motel at Hastings which is very nice and well used. At least if you stay there there are lots of places to eat out.

The B and Bs are reasonable to expensive retreat style accommodation.

There is not a lot of motel accommodation in the area as its mostly rural residential and horse studs, farming etc.

Balnarring Village Motor Inn is nice http://www.balmotel.com.au/

Motel in Hastings http://www.victoriana.com.au/

Its not a long drive from Mornington if you wanted to stay over on the Port Phillip side of the Peninsula.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

stickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant future

Hi

this is a good posting as my son joins the RAN on 29 June, so information given so far on where to stay is good. Although I will certainly not be driving down from Brisbane.

cheers
jo
Old Jun 8th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stickygreen
Hi

this is a good posting as my son joins the RAN on 29 June, so information given so far on where to stay is good. Although I will certainly not be driving down from Brisbane.

cheers
jo
How long does it take to join from start to start? I have a step son who is going on an information day on the 1st July. His father is taking him to make sure the lazy bugger signs up!!!!
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

My son has joined and is due to pass-out on the 19th of June. I am a very proud mum cause he was the wild one in the ranks. Other son has qualified as and EEN and is due to start work at the local hospital soon. For a lad of 19 going to work with old and dying pts and not being put off by it is fab. I couldnt do it.

My son applied when he was nearly 17 and because he said that I had just been diagnosed with MS they said they thought he should wait another 6 months. He left it another year and re-applied end of Feb, he had to do only the 2nd stage interview this time as he had done the first and 2nd stage last year and it was still valid, they offered him to start the following Monday but he said it was a bit soon (this was Thurs) and he got given a date for the following month. In ans to how long, it depends on the job he opts for, I know someone who wanted to be a chef and got accepted but had to wait for approx 4 months for an opening, he is going in as Combat Systems Operator and as a full enlistment. Today is his get out day if he decides its not for him, but he loves it.

Jo
Attached Thumbnails Places to stay near Naval base Cerberus Melbourne-ashleya.jpg  

Last edited by joho; Jun 8th 2009 at 8:36 am. Reason: shocking spelling probably still is
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:38 am
Migration Agent

Excellent - well done Jo, and congratulations to your son.

My son started at Cerberus last week ... ADF Gap Year (though probably closer to 8 months than 12). I share an office with a chap whose daughter also started the Gap Year program, but in January - the first couple of weeks seem to be the toughest, and the time when there is the most adjustment to be made.

5am on the parade ground is a culture shock when they have been getting in from pubs and clubs at about that time!

Best regards.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Excellent - well done Jo, and congratulations to your son.

My son started at Cerberus last week ... ADF Gap Year (though probably closer to 8 months than 12). I share an office with a chap whose daughter also started the Gap Year program, but in January - the first couple of weeks seem to be the toughest, and the time when there is the most adjustment to be made.

5am on the parade ground is a culture shock when they have been getting in from pubs and clubs at about that time!

Best regards.
Yep the first 2 weeks are the hardest, but I had to ring them and have a complete woman melt down on the phone, due to passport application issues for my son. OMG its driving me insane. The first application which they gave us was refused because the gov had changed the form (typical) and then did an new one but the sig was slightly diff by guarantor than the photos (which we dont have he does) and this has now happened 5 times, I cried with frustration cause they said he wouldnt get any leave when he told me about no 5 I phoned them had a complete woman wobbly including tears and they phoned me back and he got his leave and will go through the application with him including faxing a copy of the back of the photo so my guarantor can see which one she did (not much room on photos so she had tailored it to fit) By the time they get it sorted one of the officers will be able to witness his photo and application cause they would have known him 2 years LOL. Its been worse than the visa application.

Still waiting for faxed copy though.

Jo
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:58 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by joho
Yep the first 2 weeks are the hardest, but I had to ring them and have a complete woman melt down on the phone, due to passport application issues for my son. OMG its driving me insane. The first application which they gave us was refused because the gov had changed the form (typical) and then did an new one but the sig was slightly diff by guarantor than the photos (which we dont have he does) and this has now happened 5 times, I cried with frustration cause they said he wouldnt get any leave when he told me about no 5 I phoned them had a complete woman wobbly including tears and they phoned me back and he got his leave and will go through the application with him including faxing a copy of the back of the photo so my guarantor can see which one she did (not much room on photos so she had tailored it to fit) By the time they get it sorted one of the officers will be able to witness his photo and application cause they would have known him 2 years LOL. Its been worse than the visa application.

Still waiting for faxed copy though.

Jo
Yes, we have the same issue with the passport form and the witness signature - my son is sending us another form to complete for reasons I'm still not completely clear about.

The other chap I mentioned above - his daughter has found herself at an inland RAN base because of passport form stuff ups.

We also spent hours completing forms prior to last Monday which we now find are not required.

Frankly - its not good enough. It acts as a disincentive to the new kids and stresses out the parents.

Onwards!
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Yes, we have the same issue with the passport form and the witness signature - my son is sending us another form to complete for reasons I'm still not completely clear about.

The other chap I mentioned above - his daughter has found herself at an inland RAN base because of passport form stuff ups.

We also spent hours completing forms prior to last Monday which we now find are not required.

Frankly - its not good enough. It acts as a disincentive to the new kids and stresses out the parents.

Onwards!
Glad Its not just him then. Perhaps they should just go through it with them at the offer stage and then get them to bring it home for the guarantor to sign.

Jo
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:04 am
Migration Agent

That's far too obvious and efficient, Jo.

We are talking about a bureaucracy that has people to keep busy ...

Best regards.