Reload this Page >

Places to see before we go!

Wikiposts

Places to see before we go!

Old Jan 29th 2004, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

NickyAmIMad is an unknown quantity at this point

Stormz

To be honest Netley and the country parks in this area are beautiful and Arundel Castle near my home town is magnificent but I don't think I'll miss them. Been there, done that!

Someone on this forum suggested that the Adelaide hills were similar to the South Downs so I should feel fairly at home with the terrain! Someone else from
Adelaide might disagree..well, maybe if you squint?!

I have a few things on my 'to see and do list' for the next 10 years and if I don't
experience them I will regret it. One is to go to Italy as I mentioned earlier and another is to swim with dolphins (which shouldn't be a problem to do once we're in Oz!)

Family and friends are the thing I'd miss most about the UK. That's why I'm looking into the parent visa for my mum. Homesickness is probably the greatest reason why half of all migrants go home. If we go we will give it at least 2 years to settle in and probably buy a house within the first year, to help the family feel more rooted.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Stormz

Forgot to say hope everything goes well with the baby and the move. You've got
a very exciting time ahead

Nicky
Old Jan 29th 2004, 8:43 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NickyAmIMad
Stormz

To be honest Netley and the country parks in this area are beautiful and Arundel Castle near my home town is magnificent but I don't think I'll miss them. Been there, done that!

Someone on this forum suggested that the Adelaide hills were similar to the South Downs so I should feel fairly at home with the terrain! Someone else from
Adelaide might disagree..well, maybe if you squint?!

I have a few things on my 'to see and do list' for the next 10 years and if I don't
experience them I will regret it. One is to go to Italy as I mentioned earlier and another is to swim with dolphins (which shouldn't be a problem to do once we're in Oz!)

Family and friends are the thing I'd miss most about the UK. That's why I'm looking into the parent visa for my mum. Homesickness is probably the greatest reason why half of all migrants go home. If we go we will give it at least 2 years to settle in and probably buy a house within the first year, to help the family feel more rooted.
I do like Arundel a lot but mainly for sentimental reasons. It is where my Gran is from. She is probably looking over the Castle in her home as I speak. I was there last October and the area was beautiful with golden leaves and bright blue skies.

Family lunches are always up and the George and Dragon. Forgot the name of the village though.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Bondipom

Yep, we have had a few great lunches at the George & Dragon, Burpham, I think.
There is a gorgeous village cricket pitch next door surrounded by trees.

That is another thing I'll miss, country pubs! Not that I get much of a chance to go now we have 2 kids of 3 and 1!
Old Jan 29th 2004, 8:56 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dugongs
but with only 2 weeks leave granted by most jobs the chances of doing all this before you die are far slimmer in kiwiland than UK.

the costs from kiwiland are also a lot steeper as no airline competition. ticket to la. air kiwiland or lump it. that will be $3,000 kiwi bucks please one way.
2 weeks?? well I always had 3 weeks and that was enough for me.

yes it costs more I wasn't denying that, and chances of you doing it before you die are slimmer. but my point is it's not impossible as is often implied on this forum.

$3000 one way??? try $1000-$1500 one way. Maybe $3000 return to LA or San Fran - yes a lot - but less that what you quote. (unless you're quoting for two people)

Last edited by jandjuk; Jan 29th 2004 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:01 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by RichS
jandjuk - in a bid to win the title of Mr Picky, can you tell me which of the following destinations is actually nearer from NZ by a factor of greater than 1 hour ?...

places like India, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Pacific Islands, west coast USA, and parts of south America, so all is not lost.

I'm going to give you Australia obviously, but I'm going to dispute the rest with the possible exception of certain S American destinations.
yes you are right, but see my post above. I wasn't saying you're in a better position (financially or geographically) to travel to these places - just that there are still plenty of places to which you can get to. Not for weekends certainly, but for a couple of weeks holiday - if you earn/save enough (which is not as impossible as is made out on this forum )

There seems to be this image on this forum that once you're in oz or nz you're forever trapped never to leave again. It is harder, and it does cost more - but it's not impossible.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Flights from UK to New York are now going for £170 return according to the news yesterday.

With the Value of the dollar now is the time to go.

G
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:07 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

True. I arrived in the UK with only a couple of thousand dollars I`d saved. I thought it would last me a few months.... haha! Luckily we have family down in S`ton who put us up while we sorted ourselves out. Now some of them live in Spain.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:09 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Any New Yorkers around who have a spare bed for a couple who would love to visit.... spare bed here in the UK if you want