Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Place in the Sun Down Under

A Place in the Sun Down Under

Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice
Default Re: A Place in the Sun Down Under

Originally Posted by CDM
Sadly, and quite pathetically, Channel 4's service is not supported on OS X. This is down to their software only supporing the DRM that comes with the latest version of Windows and IE. Not sure if they are planning an OS X version in the future or not.

You'll either have to use a PC or, as I did, install a Windows license on your Mac using Bootcamp or one of the virtualisation packages. I used VirtualBox for this and spun up a version of Windows to get the player to work.

- CDM
Hi

Thanks for advice about MacOS. Sounds more complicated than I could handle I think, and I don't wish to mess up my computer in any way.

Would anybody know if it would be again on Ch4, E$, E4+1 etc etc? Tred looking, but no luck

Cheers
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:27 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall
Hi

Thanks for advice about MacOS. Sounds more complicated than I could handle I think, and I don't wish to mess up my computer in any way.

Would anybody know if it would be again on Ch4, E$, E4+1 etc etc? Tred looking, but no luck

Cheers
Well, I don't know if it will be repeated or not (perhaps channel 4's web-site might give this away) but I can confirm that running a copy of Windows on your Mac is child's play and certainly won't mess anything up. If you have a copy of Windows laying around and want more info on how to do this, just drop me a line. It really is very simple to do.

- CDM
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noocat
I did, however, witness crime on a scale I had never experienced in Australia. Sure, Australia has murders and assaults but most of these are between people who know each other. In the UK, "happy slapping" and other random attacks on strangers, seemed to be a lot more frequent and therefore made it a scarier place to live. I also noticed a lot of people on the streets in the UK who seemed miserable, angry, or generally lacking spirit. I don't see as much of this on Australian streets - sure, Australia has lots of problems and loads of imperfections, and I desperately wish some things would change here, but people overall are fairly cheerful, which does rub off on you.
You're correct to take a subjective stance, because your comments don't bear more objective scrutiny. For a comparative assesment of national statistics, look at: http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/cri-crime.

Oz may not get many olympic gold medals, but it does hold the #1 spot for highest % of total crime victims.

One other thing, assaults and murders are most often carried out by people that know each other. It's not peculiar to Oz.

As for being miserable, please note that Oz also has a significantly higher suicide rate than the UK...

Last edited by MikeStanton; Jan 5th 2009 at 7:31 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:59 pm
Chief Innovation Officer

stormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nice

Well I thought today's show (Adelaide) was a bit wack and shows that people are def getting a free ride rather than being pre-qualified as surefire candidates for emigration.

The guy had done no homework on transferring his career as a helicopter copper to Oz - he would have to work for four years to get back to the equivalent standing as his current UK post - and his wife was keeping back his daughter from emigrating with him and his newer partner with their two kids.

So perhaps predictably, they decided to stay in the UK. Which wasn't a massive surprise since it was patently obvious they fancied a free trip to Oz, no strings.

Nice work C4!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:22 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but on the x factor point, just because somebody thinks they can sing and are then encouraged by tv people how does that make them fair game for ridicule and humiliation, check out the apparent intelligence of the poor deluded would be singers. It's like taking sweets from a baby and unnecessarily cruel. Can't wait for the next series though, just wish they'd do a bit less of the humiliation.

On the Aussie house show, they actually were looking for a house on the wrong side of the tracks where they ended up, it was the presenter who was adamant to prove a point that didn't need proving who showed them the house with a billion bricks on the flash side of the road.

TV is a pantomime at the best of times and outright fantasy otherwise anybody who believes implicitly everything they see is a little deluded. Do you really think those phone calls are coming through live? or on other shows where a camera man manages to spirit hisself inside the house for the shot of the surprise doorstep arrival.

I am looking to go to Aus within 3 years, it's not utopia and I haven't been there since 2000 so no doubt things will have changed but having lived in London and the SE all my life I am looking forward to giving somewhere else a try where I won't have such an emotional attachment. Seeing an ongoing deterioration in Australian life won't be so difficult for me to swallow and I have practically forgotten what it was like 8 years ago in any case. Anybody thinking about going should consider whether they would like a more outdoor and active lifestyle (walking swimming fishing etc etc), if not you may be better off looking closer to home for some guaranteed sunshine if the weather is the big draw.

I have not intended to hurt any feeling just some thoughts.

Peace
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:09 pm
Chief Innovation Officer

stormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nice

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Sorry but on the x factor point, just because somebody thinks they can sing and are then encouraged by tv people how does that make them fair game for ridicule and humiliation, check out the apparent intelligence of the poor deluded would be singers. It's like taking sweets from a baby and unnecessarily cruel. Can't wait for the next series though, just wish they'd do a bit less of the humiliation.

On the Aussie house show, they actually were looking for a house on the wrong side of the tracks where they ended up, it was the presenter who was adamant to prove a point that didn't need proving who showed them the house with a billion bricks on the flash side of the road.

TV is a pantomime at the best of times and outright fantasy otherwise anybody who believes implicitly everything they see is a little deluded. Do you really think those phone calls are coming through live? or on other shows where a camera man manages to spirit hisself inside the house for the shot of the surprise doorstep arrival.

I am looking to go to Aus within 3 years, it's not utopia and I haven't been there since 2000 so no doubt things will have changed but having lived in London and the SE all my life I am looking forward to giving somewhere else a try where I won't have such an emotional attachment. Seeing an ongoing deterioration in Australian life won't be so difficult for me to swallow and I have practically forgotten what it was like 8 years ago in any case. Anybody thinking about going should consider whether they would like a more outdoor and active lifestyle (walking swimming fishing etc etc), if not you may be better off looking closer to home for some guaranteed sunshine if the weather is the big draw.

I have not intended to hurt any feeling just some thoughts.

Peace
eh?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stormywhether
Well I thought today's show (Adelaide) was a bit wack and shows that people are def getting a free ride rather than being pre-qualified as surefire candidates for emigration.

The guy had done no homework on transferring his career as a helicopter copper to Oz - he would have to work for four years to get back to the equivalent standing as his current UK post - and his wife was keeping back his daughter from emigrating with him and his newer partner with their two kids.

So perhaps predictably, they decided to stay in the UK. Which wasn't a massive surprise since it was patently obvious they fancied a free trip to Oz, no strings.

Nice work C4!
You must be talking about "Wanted Down Under" which was on the BBC.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:50 am
Chief Innovation Officer

Originally Posted by cj321
You must be talking about "Wanted Down Under" which was on the BBC.
ha ha ha ha, yes, yes, you're quite right.

What a fool!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cj321
For all you guys outside of the UK you need to join thebox or uknova, these are essential for expats in Australia as the local TV is dire. These sites have been mentioned in these forums many times so do a search if you need more information.

Chris
thanks, i'll take a look.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:12 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Watched this show last night. It seemed much better then "wanted down under" ie less rose tinted.

Although the prices for the houses shown seemed a bit low, not sure what exchange rate they used.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I know but the telly's crap as usual
it could be worse you could be watching oz tv lol
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eugene43
it could be worse you could be watching oz tv lol
That's what I meant.

G
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Bluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wildmark
thanks, i'll take a look.
I think I remember reading on here that if you are outside the uk, you can go through proxy servers and trick the websites into thinking you are based in the uk so you can view the programmes on uk websites like the bbc. Haven't tried it but worth looking into.

http://www.proxy4free.com/tips.html
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:59 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched the Adelaide episode. Did Amanda really say to phone immigration and tell them you have bought a house to hurry along the visa?
Let's buy a house!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:35 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the Melbourne episode what a load of shite. First they showed Frankston as a rural destination. They then showed Hampton as a beach destination which it is but showed a beach which was obviously in far north Queensland. If I had watched that as my first impression of Melbourne I would think it an utter shit hole.

They showed them properties down the Geelong Rd which is 6 lanes and one opposite a huge container depot.

They chose not to come.

Sorry this is wanted down under not a place in the sun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.