Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Place names in Australia

Place names in Australia

Old Dec 15th 2004, 9:49 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Place names in Australia

Originally Posted by walla1
he he Michelle, what a great link

2 of interest to me, first one Geordie Bay right here in WA and secondly Mount Walton but not to sure I fancy being shagged

Amazing what you can find when you're meant to be working hard isn't it
Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:13 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a place in the bush somewhere called " Kickamoocow"...not my surname but couldn't stop laughing when i read about it.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:19 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

and if you are intersted in history, A guy called John Balcombe bought a stretch of land in the 1800's from Mornington to Mentone to graze his cattle on .The area became known as Balcombe and the Mentone area was pretty much swamp land inhabited orininally by the Suni Clan of aboriginals.
When the area was subdivided in the early 20th century ,they noticed that a lot of the street names had Italian names...Naples street, Florence st Brindisi st etc , so thet called the area Menton after a small village on the border of Italy and france on the riviera. People thought the name a little hard so the stuck an e on the end ...Mentone .
Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:24 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

... and one called "Look-n-Laugh", another called "Bum-Crack Farm" (most appropriate when the late afternoon sun shadows the rolling hills).
Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Just found this http://www.ga.gov.au/map/names/
I typed in my own surname and there's a place in each state with it.... My target is now to get to Bonner Rock and have my photo taken on it

Couldn't find Gorka - not surprisingly!
Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:58 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Up in the Coral Bay area in WA, we have, Useless Loop!
And just north of Cairns, the fantastically named, Yorkeys Knob!
Old Dec 16th 2004, 12:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Coogee Rocks
Anyone no a good place to look up surname history on the web? (without paying to much!)
In the UK or Australia ?

Here is one for a start, in the UK. http://www.genesreunited.co.uk

You can also look up the 1881 UK census. I'll look up the link if you are interested.

My surname doesn't have any links in Australia.

Old Dec 16th 2004, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

thats excellent, loads of paterson stuff..made me feel important for a wee moment there! how sad!