Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Piracy ok or not?

View Poll Results: Copyright theft Ok or not?
Yes its ok to dl copyrighted material
83.33%
No.Who will feed the stars when they get hungry?
16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Piracy ok or not?

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

mutznuts1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Piracy ok or not?

Do you think that copyright theft is ok?
Would you feel bad that
example:mel gibson will only get$3.5million for his next movie opposed to his usual $5milion
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:43 pm
WBB

i'm all for it, i tend to download and buy music/dvd's so i put in what i take out.

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:46 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Piracy ok or not?

Originally posted by mutznuts1
Do you think that copyright theft is ok?
Would you feel bad that
example:mel gibson will only get$3.5million for his next movie opposed to his usual $5milion

awww poor mel.....my heart bleeds...

I'm all for downloading music and movies....well i get my other half to do it for me!!..
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

bugger!!this post was meant to be contraversial,There was me thinking that I was the only person that dl dodgy stuff Just out of matter of interest what progs do people use I use bittorrent as I am reliably informed that kazaa and klite are police run now.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

We believe that 'off site back-ups' are essential for use in the car, the kids stereo's etc and have several of them!

sandy.l
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:05 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Sandy.l
We believe that 'off site back-ups' are essential for use in the car, the kids stereo's etc and have several of them!

sandy.l

know what you mean!

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:05 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

As for mp3's, the record companies only have themselves to blame, ripping comsumers of for all those years. Dont think that the majority as artists are alltogether happy with the record companies because they use artists as much as they can until their worth loses, them they spit them out again.

An interesting fact about Canadian band "cowboy junkies" who are quite a good band. They received a phone call from their record company just a day or 2 before the record company was to be distributing a new record that they called "cowboy junkies greatest hits"
The thing was, the band had absolutely no input into this album and they were truly pissed off. In fact, they got so angry, they managed to get just about all canadian record shops to refuse to stock the album ! And if that wasnt enough, they told fans on their website: "We dont want you to buy this album but if you really have a wish to have a cd with all the tracks like this hits album, you have our blessing to download the songs from the internet and burn them to CD"

To me that was something so great of the band to do and it certainly sent a strong message to their record company, so much so that they pulled out of distributing it and went on to ask the band what they wanted. It ended up that the band decided what tracks to use and the title was changed to a more respectable one of "Cowboy Junkies Selected Studio recordings 1986-1995"

Its a great album..... I downloaded in and burned a copy LOL

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
Its a great album..... I downloaded in and burned a copy LOL

lmao
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Philanthropist5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Piracy ok or not?

No-one can condone theft, but why are music cd's so expensive, the actual cd itself must cost pennies, judging by the amount of junk cd's you get through the post or can pick up in any high st. shop.
and why are 'old' albums or non chart cd's so pricey, surely they made their money first time round.

nobody likes corporate greed and it gives satisfaction knowing you got the album/cd for the right price, if you know what i mean
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:54 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

You steal my intellectual property and I'll come 'round and steal the cash in your wallet.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Megalania
You steal my intellectual property and I'll come 'round and steal the cash in your wallet.
See this is the beauty of it if i was stupid enough to post my money on a web site i would not expect it to last very long.
besides the riaa (recording industry association of america)is starting to do this already.backed by the stag(stupid tossers in american government)They have started picking on individuals that are unable to defend themselves which i think is very unamerican...oh wait...ummm errr
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 1:35 am
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

I ran an opennap server for a couple of years in canada, where you can use clients such as napster, winmx, audiognome etc to connect to it and share your music and video files.
It was a private network and only allowed known users to connect. this is because the public servers are being shut down by their internet providers and we wanted to use the server for chatting and not let the isp know about it.

When the big servers are all gone (kazaa, bearshare, winmx servers etc) there will be literally hundreds of thousands of servers such as the one I had, where less than 100 friends connect to. It will be so difficult for the isp's or RIAA to shut these servers down since it will be near impossible for them to identify then unlike server lists for audiognome and the like where the servers are public.

What will happen on these small servers is that people wont share all their files, instead, one will go into a chat rom and ask for specific mp3's or vids and someone will then share. The network I had a server on is still running and this is what has been done for quite some time, especially for movies.

File sharing wont end and the record companies are making the mistake of going after the small guy who wont have the cash to pay big fines. This will not scare people into deleting their files.
The companies would be far better off in spending their money on technology that prevents files from playing. There are a few out now, but not many.
I would have literally saturated the file sharing community with corrupt files. that way people would be less apt to download files if 75% of the time (or more), you ended up with a tune that plays for 2 minutes then goes on to play some awful high frequency whine that just about blows your tweeters !!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 1:41 am
WBB

I ran an opennap server for a couple of years in canada, where you can use clients such as napster, winmx, audiognome etc to connect to it and share your music and video files.
It was a private network and only allowed known users to connect. this is because the public servers are being shut down by their internet providers and we wanted to use the server for chatting and not let the isp know about it.

When the big servers are all gone (kazaa, bearshare, winmx servers etc) there will be literally hundreds of thousands of servers such as the one I had, where less than 100 friends connect to. It will be so difficult for the isp's or RIAA to shut these servers down since it will be near impossible for them to identify then unlike server lists for audiognome and the like where the servers are public.

What will happen on these small servers is that people wont share all their files, instead, one will go into a chat rom and ask for specific mp3's or vids and someone will then share. The network I had a server on is still running and this is what has been done for quite some time, especially for movies.

File sharing wont end and the record companies are making the mistake of going after the small guy who wont have the cash to pay big fines. This will not scare people into deleting their files.
The companies would be far better off in spending their money on technology that prevents files from playing. There are a few out now, but not many.
I would have literally saturated the file sharing community with corrupt files. that way people would be less apt to download files if 75% of the time (or more), you ended up with a tune that plays for 2 minutes then goes on to play some awful high frequency whine that just about blows your tweeters !!

do you think kazaa etc will come to and end then?

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 2:01 am
Banned

Kazaa is running from australia and eventually yes, I think it will close down but as with every other p2p that has closed down others setup.
I just think that in future files will be deliberately made and shared corrupt and that the bigger networks will at some point shut down in countries where there will be laws against them and the threat of a lawsuit similar to napster will scare the operators into closing down. when napster was being sued one of the other great networks shut down, that was Scour Exchange.

Think about the net being saturated by small private networks of friends sharing. If one out of 50 of your friends was friends with someone from another small private network the result would be similar to having access to multi million files the same as what is on kazzaa now. You wont have access to all these private servers but through one of your "friends" you will get the file you want because he will get it for you and share, in exchange maybe you have a friend on another network and you get a file from him to share with another friend who doesnt have access.

Do you see what I mean ?

Anyway, its 2pm NSW time and about 37c. Im off to the pool
cheers
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 2:12 am
WBB

Kazaa is running from australia and eventually yes, I think it will close down but as with every other p2p that has closed down others setup.
I just think that in future files will be deliberately made and shared corrupt and that the bigger networks will at some point shut down in countries where there will be laws against them and the threat of a lawsuit similar to napster will scare the operators into closing down. when napster was being sued one of the other great networks shut down, that was Scour Exchange.

Think about the net being saturated by small private networks of friends sharing. If one out of 50 of your friends was friends with someone from another small private network the result would be similar to having access to multi million files the same as what is on kazzaa now. You wont have access to all these private servers but through one of your "friends" you will get the file you want because he will get it for you and share, in exchange maybe you have a friend on another network and you get a file from him to share with another friend who doesnt have access.

Do you see what I mean ?

Anyway, its 2pm NSW time and about 37c. Im off to the pool
cheers

interesting, a kinda underground network.

enjoy your swim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.