Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ping Pong Poms - Why?

Ping Pong Poms - Why?

Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:06 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Ping Pong Poms - Why?

Out of interest, why did you decide to come back and then decide to go back to Australia and what did you learn from your first migration that you wouldnt do or would do for your second?

Do you think homesickness will be any easier second time around and missing your friends and family?

The big house, sun and pool, you may have said its not important and thats why you came back, so why move again?

This is not intended to inflame anyone, I am interested if anyone would have done things differently.

Perhaps its something that some of us may like to learn, I dont know.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ping Pong Poms - Why?

people with short memoiries and thinking the grass is greener on the other side
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:17 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rangersman

I try and learn something from things, and I suppose in some cases you need to come back to realise where your home is.

But I do however, wonder what the shortest spell a person spent in Australia before they went home.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:23 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rangersman
Not always the case, I never intended to live in Australia as I went on a working holiday but met my OH, got wed and the rest is history.

I have returned to the UK for me to have some closure, for my family & OH to get to know each other more than they would on a 4 week holiday and I have to say the best thing we ever did.

So far, so good, the down side is with moving across the globe once, to do it again you are really put off - stress city
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Not always the case, I never intended to live in Australia as I went on a working holiday but met my OH, got wed and the rest is history.

I have returned to the UK for me to have some closure, for my family & OH to get to know each other more than they would on a 4 week holiday and I have to say the best thing we ever did.

So far, so good, the down side is with moving across the globe once, to do it again you are really put off - stress city

I reckon though if you are having serious doubts, I would think again for sure.

Always trust your inner instincts.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I reckon though if you are having serious doubts, I would think again for sure.

Always trust your inner instincts.
Trying to tell the OH who can't wait to get back to Ozzie is the hard one, plus the cat, as you know she has had urinary problems and we are up to the 3rd bout in 4 months, after all the change of diet, tablets, extra water & clean litter, I worry about her flying again (stress) then 30 days in the cat house (stress again)

All I am thinking about in 2006 is the UK, living for the now then in January 2007 will consider my feelings and make a decision.

Oh life
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:33 pm

Trying to tell the OH who can't wait to get back to Ozzie is the hard one, plus the cat, as you know she has had urinary problems and we are up to the 3rd bout in 4 months, after all the change of diet, tablets, extra water & clean litter, I worry about her flying again (stress) then 30 days in the cat house (stress again)

All I am thinking about in 2006 is the UK, living for the now then in January 2007 will consider my feelings and make a decision.

Oh life
Bev if you dont want to go, hand on your heart really dont want to go, then I would say so now.

Or it could be one expensive repeated mistake.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:39 pm

Bev if you dont want to go, hand on your heart really dont want to go, then I would say so now.

Or it could be one expensive repeated mistake.
You are spot on with your advice, I have tried to say I don't feel right going back but it goes on deaf ears sometimes. This is why I have said to him that if we just "live" this year, no thoughts or plans, no car boot sales or cat transport companies, just live and breath and see how we feel in 12 months time. A lot can happen in 12 months.

We just seem to be in perpectual motion and I for one am knackered with it all, especially as it is me that has to do all the organising. I just want to enjoy life for a change
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:43 pm

You are spot on with your advice, I have tried to say I don't feel right going back but it goes on deaf ears sometimes. This is why I have said to him that if we just "live" this year, no thoughts or plans, no car boot sales or cat transport companies, just live and breath and see how we feel in 12 months time. A lot can happen in 12 months.

We just seem to be in perpectual motion and I for one am knackered with it all, especially as it is me that has to do all the organising. I just want to enjoy life for a change

If hubby has his heart set on it, then a compromise is needed before you go. Agree to live 5 years in Australia on the condition you both discuss how this has worked out for you.

But giving each country 5 years is something you will both need to be prepared to do.

If one of you feels that their choice has been compromised in any way, this could have repercussions.

I reckon 3-5 years is a fair deal on both sides, hard as it may be.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, why did you decide to come back and then decide to go back to Australia and what did you learn from your first migration that you wouldnt do or would do for your second?

Do you think homesickness will be any easier second time around and missing your friends and family?

The big house, sun and pool, you may have said its not important and thats why you came back, so why move again?

This is not intended to inflame anyone, I am interested if anyone would have done things differently.

I think having a nomadic upbringing doesn't help as it makes you really unsettled. First time round went through a nursing agency that 'tricked' us (for want of a better word). Became all 'aussied out' very quickly as saw everything without those rose tinted specs. Knowing we had a house back in the UK to go back too also played a part. Didn't miss family or friends but missed the familiarity of everything and even the weather (6 weeks at 34 degrees + with high humidity becomes tiresom and makes you feel ill).

I missed the high quality of everything from shopping to education. We won't ever say we're going back to aus for good (way too much pressure), but we'll hopefully be there for a few years.

Its very difficult for some people on this site who are 'desperate' to leave this country to see the good Britain has to offer. Its only when you leave you appreciate what a fantastic country we have (depending on the area you live). Equally Aus has good and bad points, at the end of the day there's much of a muchness between both countries - so we're not put off!

Its nice to know we're leaving the UK having experienced the very best of the country and a fabulous white xmas to boot!

For those leaving the UK, look around you and appreciate what you have and make the most of it, cos for some people there really is no going back!
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:49 pm

If hubby has his heart set on it, then a compromise is needed before you go. Agree to live 5 years in Australia on the condition you both discuss how this has worked out for you.

But giving each country 5 years is something you will both need to be prepared to do.

If one of you feels that their choice has been compromised in any way, this could have repercussions.

I reckon 3-5 years is a fair deal on both sides, hard as it may be.
That is so true, we have been back since March 2004 (flying time or what).

Last night my OH got really upset at the chime of 12 (NYE) as I think he has lots of emotions with being 12,000 miles away from his family and that his Dad passed away in Oz in October without him being able to say goodbye.

This is tough, I did try to explain to him that I have been through that for over 7 years, mourning the loss of my special Aunt, not being home for the festive period. I think he is slowly understanding what I went through emotionally every day and every month.

In asking him why he wants to go back to Australia, he hasn't given a contrete answer as such, the usual better weather, I can do my sports, I don't like the locals here in the UK, we had a better life there . . . the better life bit worries me as we will have to start again at the bottom in Oz. The more I think about it the more I am unsure about "starting again", this may change

On that, I am off to my Dad's for tea, enjoying my moments here.

Take care Sam xxx
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:53 pm
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice

hi

is the thread refering to WendyC the thread before yours? im sure she will have something to say?

Originally Posted by glittababe
I think having a nomadic upbringing doesn't help as it makes you really unsettled. First time round went through a nursing agency that 'tricked' us (for want of a better word). Became all 'aussied out' very quickly as saw everything without those rose tinted specs. Knowing we had a house back in the UK to go back too also played a part. Didn't miss family or friends but missed the familiarity of everything and even the weather (6 weeks at 34 degrees + with high humidity becomes tiresom and makes you feel ill).

I missed the high quality of everything from shopping to education. We won't ever say we're going back to aus for good (way too much pressure), but we'll hopefully be there for a few years.

Its very difficult for some people on this site who are 'desperate' to leave this country to see the good Britain has to offer. Its only when you leave you appreciate what a fantastic country we have (depending on the area you live). Equally Aus has good and bad points, at the end of the day there's much of a muchness between both countries - so we're not put off!

Its nice to know we're leaving the UK having experienced the very best of the country and a fabulous white xmas to boot!

For those leaving the UK, look around you and appreciate what you have and make the most of it, cos for some people there really is no going back!

I wont be going (If we get there) hating the UK, I love my London and am going in search of a different way of life, adapting to scorching temperatures, flies, sexism, and all the nice things that go with it.

Im going knowing that I will miss my family and wish I had my mum to tell it all to, but on the other hand I know how short life is and how at home I felt both times I was in Australia.

I felt comfortable and right, and I know whatever challenges that are thrown my way, I will meet them head on.

But im under no illusions and cannot find rose tinted specs to suit nor fit me.

You could say with the year Ive had, I will give anything a fair go.

The weather is a killer in Oz, the more I see the pics on the SMH site about the bush fires back on the Central Coast where I used to live, the more I remember the "crap" side to Australian life - heat, humidity, bush fires and here's us moving to Qld if we do get back (As OH family moving there in next year) :scared:

I like the sun, I miss the blue skies, I miss the brightness and the more positive vibe but not being able to sleep properly in our last rental as we could not get a place with A/Con. As we were only there for 12 months we did not bother getting any - hell
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:54 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ping Pong Poms - Why?

missed the familiarity of everything and even the weather (6 weeks at 34 degrees + with high humidity becomes tiresom and makes you feel ill).

I missed the high quality of everything from shopping to education.

Err Glittababe, I'm confused now. Because you're headed back downunder... but I don't think any of the things you list above will have changed... won't you feel the same second time round?

I admire you for what you're doing though!!!

Cheers

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.