British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Ping Pong Pommes , where are you?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ping-pong-pommes-where-you-652141/)

seayork2002 Feb 1st 2010 7:14 am

Re: Ping Pong Pommes , where are you??

I am not the greatest of football fans, (more so cause him indoor's team is in the Championship and likely to stay that way) but even I have to agree!!!!!

Darn fools!!

Originally Posted by ezzie (Post 8299920)
Crikey...where was that.

They deserve an ASBO for getting in the way of a good match.

pajones Feb 2nd 2010 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by loubie (Post 8296802)
Boomerang pommes , whatever ...where are you .?
I'd love to know peoples experiences of making the move out there, not settling and moving back , only to realise why they made the move in the first place and book flights straight back to Oz .... I heard some classic stories of shipping being turned around etc , what's your story?

We moved back to UK just before Christmas after 4 years in Perth ( we were on 'Theres no Place like Home ' incase anybody saw it and ... well lets just say coming back in winter might not have been the best move!

Dave

Hello Dave, we lived in Mullaloo, Shore place, just off Dampier Ave.We were there just 12 months and kids went to Mullaloo beach Primary.I'm a Plumbing, and Heating Engineer,and had lots of knock backs in oz, i think lots of trades do, working more hours and less money.We miss the nice summers and beach, but not the flies.Have talked about going back,but financially we are better off here. cheers Paul:thumbsup:

loubie Feb 2nd 2010 9:17 pm

Hello Paul

Sorry to hear you found it hard for work.

We lived in Westview Boulevard and the kids also went to Mullers beach primary. If you were there while we were , you might remember my business 4x4 Mullaloo Mobile Car Detailing ?

Anyway nice to hear from you.

Dave

stm1971 Feb 2nd 2010 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by loubie (Post 8306081)
Hello Paul

Sorry to hear you found it hard for work.

We lived in Westview Boulevard and the kids also went to Mullers beach primary. If you were there while we were , you might remember my business 4x4 Mullaloo Mobile Car Detailing ?

Anyway nice to hear from you.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I seem to remember watching your show, wasn't it your wife who wanted to go back more than you?

How does she feel about being back, does she think it was the right move or is it still early days?

We are going back to the South East in April after 10 years in Perth and can't wait but are also nervous about how we will feel after being away for so long. Trips back are not the same as living there eh.

stm.

loubie Feb 5th 2010 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by stm1971 (Post 8306380)
Hi Dave,

I seem to remember watching your show, wasn't it your wife who wanted to go back more than you?

How does she feel about being back, does she think it was the right move or is it still early days?

We are going back to the South East in April after 10 years in Perth and can't wait but are also nervous about how we will feel after being away for so long. Trips back are not the same as living there eh.

stm.

Hi

Yes it was , but I started to come round to her way of thinking after a while due to a few reasons , mostly that we didn't like the area we bought in . It was a good opportunity to come back after selling the house.

We've been back 2 months and have bought a house already , I can't stop thinking about going back though, and she's slowly coming round . It is difficult thinking about having to say goodbye again .

Did you say you are coming back for a trip or moving back for good?

Dave

stm1971 Feb 8th 2010 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by loubie (Post 8314534)
Hi

Yes it was , but I started to come round to her way of thinking after a while due to a few reasons , mostly that we didn't like the area we bought in . It was a good opportunity to come back after selling the house.

We've been back 2 months and have bought a house already , I can't stop thinking about going back though, and she's slowly coming round . It is difficult thinking about having to say goodbye again .

Did you say you are coming back for a trip or moving back for good?

Dave

We are going back for good. (Famous last words)!!

We have been in Perth for 10 years so feel the time has come. We came in our late 20's (with young kids) and are now 38 and 40. We have lived the lifestyle for enough years now to know that it is not what we want and we both agree that what interests us in life can be best done back in the UK.

We lived in South Essex before we emigrated but are returning to the Kent Downs as that would have been where we would have moved to had we not got the visa for Oz.

Our family in the UK are really looking forward to us coming back. It is really hard once you have moved to a different country as you have lived a different life to what you had in the UK and your family back home only see it in "holiday mode" when they come to visit.

At the end of the daythough, only you and your wife can decide if it will be better for you as a family in Australia or the UK in the long run. It's not easy, but I wish you both all the best with whatever you decide.

ezzie Feb 13th 2010 7:09 pm

So how old are the kids now....how do they feel about the move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by stm1971 (Post 8322991)
We are going back for good. (Famous last words)!!

We have been in Perth for 10 years so feel the time has come. We came in our late 20's (with young kids) and are now 38 and 40. We have lived the lifestyle for enough years now to know that it is not what we want and we both agree that what interests us in life can be best done back in the UK.

We lived in South Essex before we emigrated but are returning to the Kent Downs as that would have been where we would have moved to had we not got the visa for Oz.

Our family in the UK are really looking forward to us coming back. It is really hard once you have moved to a different country as you have lived a different life to what you had in the UK and your family back home only see it in "holiday mode" when they come to visit.

At the end of the daythough, only you and your wife can decide if it will be better for you as a family in Australia or the UK in the long run. It's not easy, but I wish you both all the best with whatever you decide.

bluekipper Feb 13th 2010 8:33 pm

Hi loubie,

were about to ping back over, we fly back 14th april kids are now 14 & 19, they cant wait, in fact its why were heading back mainly they have never settled back in the UK properly. We have the opportunity to head bk over because my sis will rent the house offa me, as it wont sell at present, visas expire Jan 2011, so its now or never.

Good luck to any otner ping pongers, its damn expensive, I have even had to borrow to get bk over, now theres commitment for you.

Bluekipper

ezzie Feb 13th 2010 8:51 pm

Crikey!

How long were you back in the UK for and where were you?

So what was it about being back that left them unsettled. Had they grown-up in Oz or the UK. I'd love to know more. Are you worried that all the reasons why you left Oz will still be an issue when you get back or has the trip back kind of sorted that side of things out. Worth the money then I guess!

Originally Posted by bluekipper (Post 8339368)
Hi loubie,

were about to ping back over, we fly back 14th april kids are now 14 & 19, they cant wait, in fact its why were heading back mainly they have never settled back in the UK properly. We have the opportunity to head bk over because my sis will rent the house offa me, as it wont sell at present, visas expire Jan 2011, so its now or never.

Good luck to any otner ping pongers, its damn expensive, I have even had to borrow to get bk over, now theres commitment for you.

Bluekipper

BAY Feb 13th 2010 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by pajones (Post 8305721)
Hello Dave, we lived in Mullaloo, Shore place, just off Dampier Ave.We were there just 12 months and kids went to Mullaloo beach Primary.I'm a Plumbing, and Heating Engineer,and had lots of knock backs in oz, i think lots of trades do, working more hours and less money.We miss the nice summers and beach, but not the flies.Have talked about going back,but financially we are better off here. cheers Paul:thumbsup:

What flies, we live just down the road from Mullaloo and there has been very few flies this year.:thumbup:

rparsons66 Feb 14th 2010 11:10 am

I think we were the ultimate in ping pong poms!

We lived in Perth for 8 years, came back to the Uk intending to stay, was not prepared for how homesick for OZ we would be and everything seemed to go wrong (couldn't find houseing, jobs etc) so a year later we went back to Perth when past employers dangled the carrot of giving us our jobs back (including house!) - seemed like an easy solution. Then 8 months into life back in Perth my Dad had an operation that went wrong, was terribly ill for 6 weeks before dying. Nothing like that experience for making it clear where we should live (financial implications alone were huge as we flew straight back when we got the news).

So now back in the UK since December, settled in a lovely house, round the corner from my Mum. Yes we miss lots of things about Oz but there is now a big black line drawn under our travelling!! A waste of money? yes and no. I can't see how we could have done it differently. We spent much of three years completely confused and torn. Both worlds had a lot to offer. And it is easy in hindsight to see clearly! Yes, we are broke but then we gained so much from our years in Perth how do you measure. We have two great kids (16 &13) who have had amazing opportunities and are the people they are because of Australia. Luckily they wanted to come back!!!

Anyway, dont often post but feel a bit of an expert when it comes to ping ponging!!

Becky

ezzie Feb 14th 2010 11:15 am

...and very glad you did post Becky!
Sorry to hear about your dad. Must have been traumatic on top of everything you'd experienced.

As an exercise, go on, tell us what you miss about Oz. Then what you love about the UK.

Sounds like you have two very dynamic and resiliant children to be proud of. But behind kids like that, there's always a lot of love and fabulous parents.

Originally Posted by rparsons66 (Post 8340660)

We lived in Perth for 8 years, came back to the Uk intending to stay, was not prepared for how homesick for OZ we would be and everything seemed to go wrong (couldn't find houseing, jobs etc) so a year later we went back to Perth when past employers dangled the carrot of giving us our jobs back (including house!) - seemed like an easy solution. Then 8 months into life back in Perth my Dad had an operation that went wrong, was terribly ill for 6 weeks before dying. Nothing like that experience for making it clear where we should live (financial implications alone were huge as we flew straight back when we got the news).

So now back in the UK since December, settled in a lovely house, round the corner from my Mum. Yes we miss lots of things about Oz but there is now a big black line drawn under our travelling!! A waste of money? yes and no. I can't see how we could have done it differently. We spent much of three years completely confused and torn. Both worlds had a lot to offer. And it is easy in hindsight to see clearly! Yes, we are broke but then we gained so much from our years in Perth how do you measure. We have two great kids (16 &13) who have had amazing opportunities and are the people they are because of Australia. Luckily they wanted to come back!!!

Anyway, dont often post but feel a bit of an expert when it comes to ping ponging!!

Becky

rparsons66 Feb 14th 2010 11:49 am

Originally Posted by ezzie (Post 8340668)
...and very glad you did post Becky!
Sorry to hear about your dad. Must have been traumatic on top of everything you'd experienced.

As an exercise, go on, tell us what you miss about Oz. Then what you love about the UK.

Sounds like you have two very dynamic and resiliant children to be proud of. But behind kids like that, there's always a lot of love and fabulous parents.

I hate to admit that after my years of complaining Perth was too hot that I miss the warmth! Not the heat but the warmth and the ease of drying clothes and the fewer clothes to wash!!! I do miss the blue sky and the parrots and pelicans. Umm, what else ... drivethru coffee! And the kids were lucky enough to go to a great school. Storage space in my Perth house was great too. I am messy and loved having enough rooms where I could hide all the mess in one room and shut the door - our english house does not give me that luxury!

The difference is this time I just miss these things - it feels healthy, not overwhelming. I miss them but I dont feel like I must get them back or I will die!!!

We do have two great kids to whom we are always apologising for having messed them around! They have always played a part in the decision making and we ave always tried to listen to them. We also agreed to get sky so my son can watch the Aussies play cricket and my daughter can have unlimited free calls to her friends!

The Uk ... I love having coffee with my Mum, I loved going to the breast clinic with my sister when she found a lump last week, I like the TV and the people, the humour and so many things ... I shall keep thinking!

Thanks!
Becky

stm1971 Feb 14th 2010 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by ezzie (Post 8339264)
So how old are the kids now....how do they feel about the move back to the UK?

They are 13 and 10 and OK about going home. Have sent you a PM.

Originally Posted by rparsons66 (Post 8340660)

Becky

Thanks for sharing your experience Becky, glad that you are now happy where you are.

stm1971 Feb 14th 2010 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by rparsons66 (Post 8340737)
I hate to admit that after my years of complaining Perth was too hot that I miss the warmth! Not the heat but the warmth and the ease of drying clothes and the fewer clothes to wash!!! I do miss the blue sky and the parrots and pelicans. Umm, what else ... drivethru coffee! And the kids were lucky enough to go to a great school. Storage space in my Perth house was great too. I am messy and loved having enough rooms where I could hide all the mess in one room and shut the door - our english house does not give me that luxury!

The difference is this time I just miss these things - it feels healthy, not overwhelming. I miss them but I dont feel like I must get them back or I will die!!!

We do have two great kids to whom we are always apologising for having messed them around! They have always played a part in the decision making and we ave always tried to listen to them. We also agreed to get sky so my son can watch the Aussies play cricket and my daughter can have unlimited free calls to her friends!

The Uk ... I love having coffee with my Mum, I loved going to the breast clinic with my sister when she found a lump last week, I like the TV and the people, the humour and so many things ... I shall keep thinking!

Thanks!
Becky

Becky, how did your children find the transition from Perth to UK schools? Did they have trouble settling in or amking friends at all?