Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ping Pong Pommes , where are you??

Ping Pong Pommes , where are you??

Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

loubie will become famous soon enough
Default Ping Pong Pommes , where are you??

Boomerang pommes , whatever ...where are you .?
I'd love to know peoples experiences of making the move out there, not settling and moving back , only to realise why they made the move in the first place and book flights straight back to Oz .... I heard some classic stories of shipping being turned around etc , what's your story?

We moved back to UK just before Christmas after 4 years in Perth ( we were on 'Theres no Place like Home ' incase anybody saw it and ... well lets just say coming back in winter might not have been the best move!

Dave
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ping Pong Pommes , where are you??

Originally Posted by loubie
I'd love to know peoples experiences of making the move out there, not settling and moving back , only to realise why they made the move in the first place and book flights straight back to Oz .... I heard some classic stories of shipping being turned around etc , what's your story?

We moved back to UK just before Christmas after 4 years in Perth ( we were on 'Theres no Place like Home ' incase anybody saw it and ... well lets just say coming back in winter might not have been the best move!

Dave
Out of interest, do you think you made the right choice going back to UK?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dave,

Look at the "moving back to UK" part of the forum. Out of interest what made you decide to move in the first place and what made you move back to UK?

Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:45 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

I heard some classic stories of shipping being turned around etc , what's your story?
Dave

The shipping companies must love Ping Pong Poms they must make a fortune off them. Moving all their household goods from one side of the world to the other every couple of years.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

There should be discounts.

Something along the lines of "moving to Oz? book your return freight now and save!"
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I am an Aussie doing it in reverse, going back to AUS for what better be the final time as I am knackered.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Dave
Was it S02E28 by chance? St Helen's?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:03 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

We moved back to the UK last July, more down to lack of work and money running out than anything else.

Will we move back? More than likely, as we feel we've made a mistake in many ways and possibly should have given it more time to find work.

At least having our youngest as an Aussie citizen means we can extend our visa should it be close to expiring if we still haven't moved back to Oz by then.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Catherine Gee made me do it!

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
Was it S02E28 by chance? St Helen's?
I'm not sure what that means , but no , we're from Essex / Suffolk
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi loubie...we were on No Place Like Home too! (what an exhausting experience eh?). No....sounds like you've not had a good time of it. So which family were you? Where did you go back too? It has been an incredibly hard winter this year in the UK. Are there other things which have put you off the UK other than the weather?

Dave
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:38 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l think all Ping Pong Poms should burn their passports and save themselves from wasting a massive amount of money.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

I met a lot of people that had moved back and then moved out to Oz again, it is very common, but something that people have to do , if you lose a few grand in the process so be it . We weren't happy with the suburb we were in and having talked about returning for a while , thought it was a good time to do it , house sold quickly and we were back before we knew it.

Hi Ezzie ( it's Dave btw ) - we were from Essex/suffolk with 2 boys , apparently I came across as a beach bum .
I loved the experience , although I was amused lets say at how they edited the 40 hours of footage - hopefully it made for an entertaining episode.

I do miss being a beach bum!!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to remember....you worked teaching music at a school in the morning then headed to the beach in the afternoon...right?

So are you back in Pert now or have the trip planned?

What exactly was it that changed your minds...I'm really intrigued now.

Mind you, I've just had a msg from a friend in Brum (a conductor I know, lovely guy) who's friend was threatened with murder (literally) just for saving his seat whilst he went to the loo!!!! In the 'Walkabout'....now from what I remember, that's an 'Aussie pub'. Probably not many Aussies in it though I suspect.

How did you meet so many Brits who were ping-ponging - did you go looking for them or are there so many over there!

I met a lot of people that had moved back and then moved out to Oz again, it is very common, but something that people have to do , if you lose a few grand in the process so be it . We weren't happy with the suburb we were in and having talked about returning for a while , thought it was a good time to do it , house sold quickly and we were back before we knew it.

Hi Ezzie ( it's Dave btw ) - we were from Essex/suffolk with 2 boys , apparently I came across as a beach bum .
I loved the experience , although I was amused lets say at how they edited the 40 hours of footage - hopefully it made for an entertaining episode.

I do miss being a beach bum!!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:04 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Mind you, I've just had a msg from a friend in Brum (a conductor I know, lovely guy) who's friend was threatened with murder (literally) just for saving his seat whilst he went to the loo!!!! In the 'Walkabout'....now from what I remember, that's an 'Aussie pub'. Probably not many Aussies in it though I suspect.
There are loads of Aussies in Walkabout pubs. Two Aussies decided to fight each other while I was watching my football team on TV in a Walkabout.

Needless to say I asked the bouncer to eject them. I wasn't really bothered that they decided to brain each other, however, getting in front of the TV screen just as my team scored was unforgiveable.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Crikey...where was that.

They deserve an ASBO for getting in the way of a good match.

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
There are loads of Aussies in Walkabout pubs. Two Aussies decided to fight each other while I was watching my football team on TV in a Walkabout.

Needless to say I asked the bouncer to eject them. I wasn't really bothered that they decided to brain each other, however, getting in front of the TV screen just as my team scored was unforgiveable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.