Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PING PONG POM - Back to the UK - Maybe

PING PONG POM - Back to the UK - Maybe

Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:26 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PING PONG POM - Back to the UK - Maybe

Originally Posted by kellyjs
lol sorry that wasnt meant at your comment

No worries

Glad you seem to be on the right road now.
Give your self time and pat yourself on the back for having got this far. Make sure you take time to actually enjoy your surroundings. things will always work themselves out.

Louise
Old Nov 18th 2006, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Well guys the title says it all really. We arrived in OZ in September and stayed in a serviced apartment for a month in the city before deciding on Cleveland to settle. My b/f then went back to the UK leaving myself and two daughters here to get on with our new lives. I've just bought a lovely little villa on a quiet complex and have started to learn to drive which I never thought I would ever do! My 12 year old is having the time of her life, has made loads of new friends and is hardly ever at home. Now here comes the bad bit...I have sent off tons of job applications, attended interviews galore and still cant find a job, money is running out and watching the dwindling bank balance is STRESS! But the main thing that has tipped me over the edge is my 14 year old daughter. She is finding it so hard to settle and is constantly depressed. Shes not made any friends in the almost 2 months at school and is even being bullied. The schools reaction to this? She needs to toughen up! Its breaking my heart that shes so sad and I feel so guilty for dragging her over here just as she was about to start her GCSES's. So this morning I have contacted two local schools with better reps. Then after much consideration, I just emailed her old school in the UK to find out how longs shes got before she will be too behind on her gcses than everyone else. As I pressed the "send" button it hit me that this is the start of the downward spiral before booking those flights home. I realy dont know what to do for the best

Hi Kellyjs

Congrats on your job offers, I think I would take the part time one for now and then perhaps review the situation when your daughter is happier. Which school does she go to? We have been in Ormiston for 2 weeks and my son has just started at Cleveland High (year 9) and my daughter will start there in January (year 8) Adam says they all seem friendly enough but it is early days. He was bullied at his old school in the UK so i'm hoping that doesn't happen here.

Heather
Old Nov 18th 2006, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Heather
My daughter has said that most people are friendly but dont go out of their way to make friends. The boys seem to be a problem there and apparently bully girls and nothing is said! I hope Adam will show them a thing or two about how to treat girls eh? My youngest starts SHS in January too, wonder if they end up in the same class? As for the jobs, I spoke to the girls about it and they both reckon I should do the full time one as its 3 times as much money. I too thought I should go for the part time one instead though. Just even having the choice is so far from where I was at two days ago though I still cant believe it!

Originally Posted by smiths
Hi Kellyjs

Congrats on your job offers, I think I would take the part time one for now and then perhaps review the situation when your daughter is happier. Which school does she go to? We have been in Ormiston for 2 weeks and my son has just started at Cleveland High (year 9) and my daughter will start there in January (year 8) Adam says they all seem friendly enough but it is early days. He was bullied at his old school in the UK so i'm hoping that doesn't happen here.

Heather
Old Nov 18th 2006, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

By the way will have to ask her if she knows him, how embarrassed would they be? :scared: ha ha ha
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

I just wanted to bounce this back up to say a BIG thankyou for all of you who sent me support and encouragement last week. I'm just getting ready to start my frst day at work. I took the part time one in the end as I am holding out for two local full time jobs that I applied for ages ago. I feel better about leaving a part time casual job after a couple of weeks rather than a full time one if I do get my "dream" job. Anyway, thanks again, I really was so overwhelmed before but things are starting to look up for us all. Karma sent to everyone xxxxxx
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to bounce this back up to say a BIG thankyou for all of you who sent me support and encouragement last week. I'm just getting ready to start my frst day at work. I took the part time one in the end as I am holding out for two local full time jobs that I applied for ages ago. I feel better about leaving a part time casual job after a couple of weeks rather than a full time one if I do get my "dream" job. Anyway, thanks again, I really was so overwhelmed before but things are starting to look up for us all. Karma sent to everyone xxxxxx

Excellent, really glad that it's getting better. The first few months are difficult so well done for coming out of it fighting
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
Excellent, really glad that it's getting better. The first few months are difficult so well done for coming out of it fighting
Hi Wendy
I've had a few days where I have felt so overwhelmed with it all I have felt like packing it all in and sat there with my credit card in one hand , checking flights with the other. But I've managed to stick it out by telling myself to sleep on it as it will feel better in the morning. Its incredible that when I was at my lowest and felt like I would never get a job,within 24 hours I had two to choose from! I saw that as someone up there telling me something, to hang on in there
Its not easy but no one ever said it would be
Kelly x
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy
I've had a few days where I have felt so overwhelmed with it all I have felt like packing it all in and sat there with my credit card in one hand , checking flights with the other. But I've managed to stick it out by telling myself to sleep on it as it will feel better in the morning. Its incredible that when I was at my lowest and felt like I would never get a job,within 24 hours I had two to choose from! I saw that as someone up there telling me something, to hang on in there
Its not easy but no one ever said it would be
Kelly x

I've never been that bad that I've been looking at flights, but yeah there are days when you think that it would just be easier to go back to what you know.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
I've never been that bad that I've been looking at flights, but yeah there are days when you think that it would just be easier to go back to what you know.
...and its not because I dont love it here, just find it so hard coping on my own and dealing with the guilt of my daughter being so miserable and watching my bank balance get smaller and smaller while I'm not working...yup it would be easier to go back to familiarity but I think the difference between those that dont make it and those that do is that you have to fight through it and hopefully befor eyou know it, THIS is your familiarity
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

...and its not because I dont love it here, just find it so hard coping on my own and dealing with the guilt of my daughter being so miserable and watching my bank balance get smaller and smaller while I'm not working...yup it would be easier to go back to familiarity but I think the difference between those that dont make it and those that do is that you have to fight through it and hopefully befor eyou know it, THIS is your familiarity
Hows your daughter doing now?, is it any better for her yet?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I've been to the school and put in a formal complaint about the 5 boys. Now its just a case of finding out if that makes things better or worse. I have to say the schools attitude stinks but she doesnt want to change schools again. One of the main reasons why I decided on the part time local job, to be closer to home. Right, off to work...wooohooooo! its been a long time since I said that!
Kelly x
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've been to the school and put in a formal complaint about the 5 boys. Now its just a case of finding out if that makes things better or worse. I have to say the schools attitude stinks but she doesnt want to change schools again. One of the main reasons why I decided on the part time local job, to be closer to home. Right, off to work...wooohooooo! its been a long time since I said that!
Kelly x

Good luck with work
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly, the first 6 months i would ring my hubby and tel him my flight was booked, poor man, he kept getting speeding tickets rushing home to me, then i went mad cause he got the speeding tickets. I will be doing my 2 yr update soon, and you will see how i have got through the last 2 years.
Well done anyway
Denise x