Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ping Pom Support

Ping Pom Support

Old Jun 19th 2013, 11:14 am
Just Joined

cromergirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ping Pom Support

It looks like we are going to be Ping Pomers in the next few weeks having made a big mistake of leaving Perth a few years ago.

We are going through so many emotions at the moment and are struggling to get to grips with it all.

I just wondered if anyone else who has been through the same scenario can offer some words of advice and possibly support.

Thanks.

C
Old Jun 19th 2013, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Pom Support

Originally Posted by cromergirl
It looks like we are going to be Ping Pomers in the next few weeks having made a big mistake of leaving Perth a few years ago.

We are going through so many emotions at the moment and are struggling to get to grips with it all.

I just wondered if anyone else who has been through the same scenario can offer some words of advice and possibly support.

Thanks.

C
err, yeah a bit of experience with this, third time around

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796711

My advice, sit in the front of the plane away from the hop polloi

I'm not sure what you want to hear? You know what you are going to, you know what you're leaving.

IMO it's just best to live where you are at that moment. I'm not looking forward to returning to Oz, but I'm happy enough to go with the flow. Spent nearly half of my life there so I'm ok with it.

Don't count how much each move has cost you, but be aware the toll it can take on energy and emotion.

We've had a good time here (kind of) and don't regret anything (except the job situation).

Make sure your decision is a considered one, not a knee jerk one, but don't get paralysed by option analysis and 'what ifs'.

Put yourselves first, everything else is peripheral, including your families. If that's too hard to contemplate then examine your reasons for going.

Every move 'washes' your face clean, it's a new opportunity in familiar surroundings. Treat it like that rather than a desperate grab to 'get back' what you perceived you lost. That way lies madness.

The TV will still be just as shit as it ever was in Oz.

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jun 19th 2013 at 11:32 am.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, what Triboy said so eloquently - just another adventure, suck it and see, if it works then that's good, if it doesnt work then move on. I will be pingponging back at some stage I know and though I hate the thought of it because my UK life is far better across the board, I have promised to return and just hope that all the things that made me want to slit my wrists in the past can be accommodated and overcome the next time around. Good luck with your adventure. You can never go back to what you had so dont expect it.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup, what Triboy said so eloquently - just another adventure, suck it and see, if it works then that's good, if it doesnt work then move on. I will be pingponging back at some stage I know and though I hate the thought of it because my UK life is far better across the board, I have promised to return and just hope that all the things that made me want to slit my wrists in the past can be accommodated and overcome the next time around. Good luck with your adventure. You can never go back to what you had so dont expect it.
Good luck then Quoll - hadn't realised you might return. In your case, I think it's good to have an infrastructure and arrangement that allows you to do both. When our children are grown up certainly we will all travel a great deal more. (But the UK won't see us much!)
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Good luck then Quoll - hadn't realised you might return. In your case, I think it's good to have an infrastructure and arrangement that allows you to do both. When our children are grown up certainly we will all travel a great deal more. (But the UK won't see us much!)
Sadly, yes! We are here as long as my 89 yr old parents (and possibly 85 yr old aunt) need us. I'm hoping for at least a couple of centenarians in the family! The longer I am here the better the life becomes!!!! But by the time I have dispatched them both, who knows, I may be up for the next adventure!!!
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, yes! We are here as long as my 89 yr old parents (and possibly 85 yr old aunt) need us. I'm hoping for at least a couple of centenarians in the family! The longer I am here the better the life becomes!!!! But by the time I have dispatched them both, who knows, I may be up for the next adventure!!!
I thought a key driver in your case was that you wanted to be in the UK which is as good a reason as any.....apart from aged parents, of course.

I don't see why you can't continue to stay on - unless of course, your partner wants to go back to Aus and is only in UK as you discharge 'family duties'.

I know what you mean about dispatching...careful you do not get attacked for such terminology etc...he he
Old Jun 20th 2013, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I thought a key driver in your case was that you wanted to be in the UK which is as good a reason as any.....apart from aged parents, of course.

I don't see why you can't continue to stay on - unless of course, your partner wants to go back to Aus and is only in UK as you discharge 'family duties'.

I know what you mean about dispatching...careful you do not get attacked for such terminology etc...he he
Absolutely! It's the silver lining in the grey cloud of ancient relatives. I'd love to stay but the DH is Aussie and I've promised to return
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Absolutely! It's the silver lining in the grey cloud of ancient relatives. I'd love to stay but the DH is Aussie and I've promised to return
aha - the saga will continue! Good for him though for coming over with you.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Molly dog is an unknown quantity at this point

We are ping pong , your mind plays tricks. Feel the fear and do it any way. Best wishes
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

I love a bit of ping pong. We are moving back to oz at christmas after 3 years in the uk. To me its not a big deal. You dont have to choose a country and stay there forever - if you have the means you can move about as much as you want. Try to live for the moment rather than obsessing over where you want to end up permanently.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Feels abit like an AA meeting....

I'm Valespark, ping ponged twice

Third time lucky coming to you in 2014
Old Jun 21st 2013, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

nic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to all

We’re the young (we think) 60 something parents with a son in oz and a daughter in Scotland. Our dilemma is whether to start proceedings to apply for a visa that will allow us to move over permanently and allow us the freedom to move back and forth as we get older. I’ve read on here of the difficulties there are re insurance etc for parents as they get on in years. We know it could take years but we are both in good health at the moment. Any advice would be appreciated as we could be the ping pommers of the future.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

gumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nice

When old parents pass away and children become adults one day, you're free to go or stay anywhere you like. Enjoy the moment and make the most of it.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Wombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cromergirl

Thanks.

C
Hi C

Know where you are coming from, having ping ponged ourselves. Left Oz a year ago, spent time with our families back "home", but missed Australia too much, as we've been here for six years and all our friends were here. Also found life too expensive over in Europe.

Been back for two months now, couldn't be happier, both got jobs back with our former employers here, still catching up with friends, lots of sunshine despite it being winter (after just having survived one of the greyest and coldest winters in a long time in Europe ).

Moving twice half-way around the world within a year was very stressful and emotional for us, too, but for us it definitely has been worth it!

Last edited by Wombatz; Jun 22nd 2013 at 3:39 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 26th 2013, 4:13 am
Improving with age

cheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nice

Originally Posted by big_matt
I love a bit of ping pong. We are moving back to oz at christmas after 3 years in the uk. To me its not a big deal. You dont have to choose a country and stay there forever - if you have the means you can move about as much as you want. Try to live for the moment rather than obsessing over where you want to end up permanently.
I absolutely agree with these comments, even the term "ping pong pom" somehow carries with it a sense of failing. All you need to say is "this is where I choose to live at this time".
We came to Perth 30 years ago and are very happy here with 5 australian born grandchildren, but thats not to say we don't get homesick from time to time. In 2008 we flew to the UK and rented a house in cheshire for 6 months and bought a cheap car and we stayed for christmas and new year. We had a great time with family and friends and enjoyed the experience of a different lifestyle, but as the year came to a close, our lives revolved around keeping warm and eventually my wife got bronchitis and we realised that it is much better to grow old in a warm climate.
So we are happy to be back in perth where it is expensive but by being thrifty, we manage to have a good life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.