British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Pine Beds? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pine-beds-348786/)

Tiawamutu Jan 17th 2006 12:34 am

Pine Beds?

Just a query about shipping pine beds to Oz.

I know all wood has to be treated to get through quarantine, so this got me thinking :confused:

Pine beds are normally varnished or treated, until you come to the wooden slats, and feet of the actual bed.

Has anyone successfully ships these without having to treat the whole bed?

any advise would be appreciated, thanks :)

P.s I also have a calved vase from Tunisia, made of wood....would this need to be treated also, and any idea what with?

232Bar Jan 17th 2006 1:53 am

Re: Pine Beds?

Ang we shipped pine bed and some wooden ornaments with no probs - most of the bed was varnished, but some wasn't.

steve-n-jo Jan 17th 2006 2:53 am

Beds no problem, and I wouldn't even worry about the vase. When the packers come nothing is really individually labelled. It just gives a general idea of whats in the box. For example, a box labelled kitchen items had all my wooden pegs in. Now strictly speaking they shouldn't have come. A large conch shell from Trinidad came in a box labelled bathroom items.

The only thing they want to look at really is the hoover, any items that have been outside, bikes, lawn mowers, gardening stuff.

If your shipping agent is any good, then like ours they move these items to one side ready for Quarrentine. Usually, they turn up at the depot, look at your packing list and say, we want to look in boxes 25, 56 etc. If they are happy then thats it basically.

Jo

annqldau Jan 17th 2006 6:10 am

Ang we brough pine bed, 6 ft dresser and wood man and wood vase and big wood table and six chairs and two wood coffee tables and they didn't hick about anything but the snake skin behind a photo... :D .

We did leave the bbq, the bikes, the grass cutter, the rocking horse and one rocking chair (that pickfords seemed to think wouldn't pass) but think they make up what they will pass and not pass on the day.

Tiawamutu Jan 17th 2006 8:31 pm

Ok...think I'm worrying too much (as usual)

Thanks folks :)

Sleeping Beauty Jan 17th 2006 8:56 pm

We did leave the bbq, the bikes, the grass cutter, the rocking horse and one rocking chair (that pickfords seemed to think wouldn't pass) but think they make up what they will pass and not pass on the day.[/QUOTE]

mmm, not happy about the rocking horse remark :confused: :(

what did pickfords say about that? ours is our daughter xmas pressie 2 years ago, so cant see that being left.

manxfamily Jan 17th 2006 9:10 pm

Not sure on the answer on this one yet - Let me sleep on it! :D

Sleeping Beauty Jan 17th 2006 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Not sure on the answer on this one yet - Let me sleep on it! :D

what, on the rocking horse? - damn uncomfortable mr manx :D

MrsDagboy Jan 17th 2006 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty

mmm, not happy about the rocking horse remark :confused: :(

what did pickfords say about that? ours is our daughter xmas pressie 2 years ago, so cant see that being left.

Im guessing its the horses hair which may have been the problem, although I could be wrong!

deanmhunt Jan 17th 2006 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by steve-n-jo
Beds no problem, and I wouldn't even worry about the vase. When the packers come nothing is really individually labelled. It just gives a general idea of whats in the box. For example, a box labelled kitchen items had all my wooden pegs in. Now strictly speaking they shouldn't have come. A large conch shell from Trinidad came in a box labelled bathroom items.

The only thing they want to look at really is the hoover, any items that have been outside, bikes, lawn mowers, gardening stuff.

If your shipping agent is any good, then like ours they move these items to one side ready for Quarrentine. Usually, they turn up at the depot, look at your packing list and say, we want to look in boxes 25, 56 etc. If they are happy then thats it basically.

Jo

Hi, hope you dont mind me asking but which shipping agent did you use???
Any help would be cool. Do UK tv's work in Oz??