Pilots in Oz

Old May 19th 2004, 10:37 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pilots in Oz

Hello,

Is there any pilots ( aeroplanes ) in here that either fly for pleasure or work? Im a Student Pilot here in the Uk and would like to exchange some advice with fellow flyers in Oz.

Kind Regards
Old May 20th 2004, 1:17 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pilots in Oz

Originally posted by Boomerang
Hello,

Is there any pilots ( aeroplanes ) in here that either fly for pleasure or work? Im a Student Pilot here in the Uk and would like to exchange some advice with fellow flyers in Oz.

Kind Regards
Hey Boomerang
Is that you int cockpit of that virginblue plane? (see the lounge)
I know a ozzie pilot, does commercial freight flights round the country.
Is there anything specific I can ask him for you?

Chris.
Old May 20th 2004, 6:11 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

As a student pilot, I'd like to keep an eye on this thread.

Chocks away! Huns at 6 O'Clock!
Old May 20th 2004, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Kind Regards

Mate!

I learn to fly in Australia, Brisbane actually!

Lovely place to fly, lots of free airspace and cheap too! (Compared to the UK anyway).

There are too many pilots chasing too few jobs though in Ausralia and the aviation job market is very competative!

Cheers.
Old May 20th 2004, 6:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by paddythepilot
Mate!

I learn to fly in Australia, Brisbane actually!

Lovely place to fly, lots of free airspace and cheap too! (Compared to the UK anyway).

There are too many pilots chasing too few jobs though in Ausralia and the aviation job market is very competative!

Cheers.
Virgin Blue is also based out of Brissie. Met a pilot who worked there (ex Ansett) and he reckons the collapse was probably the best thing to have happened to him. The good new is that with Jetstar on the rise and a general recovery in the region jobs are coming back. I know BA are employing cabin staff again, not sure about the pilots.
Old May 20th 2004, 9:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This is probably old news to you if you're a pilot already, but have you come across this bit of the pprune site - for those who haven't heard of Pprune, its a load of forums for the aviation world, and this bit is for Oz and NZ.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdi...?s=&forumid=24
Old May 20th 2004, 9:44 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Kind Regards
AS long as you understand in OZ ,you will be treated like a glorified bus driver and paid ,accordingly................... MM
Old May 20th 2004, 11:22 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

I wish it was me in that flightdeck! Im just a student pilot PPL(A).

Thanks for the replies, i know doing a search on the internet or contacting CASA i could obtain some of the answers, but i thought of asking in the forum first so i can have first hand views.

I have started my PPL here in the Uk and obviously it is very expensive, around £144 and hour. I know in Australia is much cheaper so that is why i am considering stopping it and continuing in Oz once i get there. My question is, the hours that i have done here in the Uk, are they transferable/recognised in Oz?

I am aware of the decline in jobs for pilots, thats why i am aiming to fly just for the pleasure of it, ie: maybe getting part-time work ( weekends ) in the general aviation ( and maintaining a full time job ) field doing charter work, sightseeing flying, trial lessons, instruction etc... Yes of course i would like to aim for an airline line job but being realistic its not the time for it. So i will take one step at the time.

Thanks for the link re: PPRuNe.

Later on the afternoon, when i get home i shall post some pictures that i normaly take when flying. Yes i love photography too...
Old May 20th 2004, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Hello,

I wish it was me in that flightdeck! Im just a student pilot PPL(A).

Thanks for the replies, i know doing a search on the internet or contacting CASA i could obtain some of the answers, but i thought of asking in the forum first so i can have first hand views.

I have started my PPL here in the Uk and obviously it is very expensive, around ?44 and hour. I know in Australia is much cheaper so that is why i am considering stopping it and continuing in Oz once i get there. My question is, the hours that i have done here in the Uk, are they transferable/recognised in Oz?

I am aware of the decline in jobs for pilots, thats why i am aiming to fly just for the pleasure of it, ie: maybe getting part-time work ( weekends ) in the general aviation ( and maintaining a full time job ) field doing charter work, sightseeing flying, trial lessons, instruction etc... Yes of course i would like to aim for an airline line job but being realistic its not the time for it. So i will take one step at the time.

Thanks for the link re: PPRuNe.

Later on the afternoon, when i get home i shall post some pictures that i normaly take when flying. Yes i love photography too...
Mate,

All your flying hours in the UK will be credited to your course in Australia, so no worries there!

If you are seriou about getting your PPL, the I would recommend you save your cash until you get to Oz because you will save a bloody fortune!

For example, when I was just 'hour building' I was renting something called a 'Gazelle', which was a locally made aircraft for something like 35 Quid per-hour!

A C172 was around AUD $110 per-hours and even a Baron B-58 (Twin) was only around AUD $350.

You can get your I.R. N/VFR and Twin rating all about a third of the cost of the UK........'Rip-off Britain again maybe'?

Good to se you are being realistic about aviation as a career in Australia......it's not easy!

Anyway, don't worry all your UK hours will count!

Goof luck!

BTW, where in Oz are you going and what is your profession?
Old May 20th 2004, 1:36 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone going to Tassie, try and have a flight with the Aero Club of Southern Tasmania, they fly out of Cambridge airport near Hobart, and the scenery in Tassie is amazing when seen from the air..
Much much cheaper than the UK, and much more relaxed, wherever you are in Oz. Once I get a job that pays more than peanuts I shall try and renew my PPL, and have it converted to an Aussie one
Old May 20th 2004, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

my uncle in adelaide is a pilot (although he is 78) and does the whale watch for the radio station, he is till flying and wants to take us up in his plane when we get there

being 78 i think i might pass on that one:scared:

arlene
Old May 20th 2004, 6:43 pm
G'day Mate

Here's some shot has promised

Attached Thumbnails Pilots in Oz-dsc00772.jpg  
Old May 20th 2004, 7:17 pm
G'day Mate

Another One
Attached Thumbnails Pilots in Oz-dsc00778.jpg  
Old May 20th 2004, 8:55 pm
Home and Happy

Originally posted by arlene
my uncle in adelaide is a pilot (although he is 78) and does the whale watch for the radio station, he is till flying and wants to take us up in his plane when we get there

being 78 i think i might pass on that one:scared:

arlene
If you don't fancy it Arlene, I'll come down to Adelaide and go in your place!!! You lucky git, that would be a fantastic experience
Old May 21st 2004, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Pilots in Oz

Hello,

Kind Regards
Hiya

I too am a pilot in training, around 20 hours in now, what are u learning in for £144 an hour??? up here in Sheffield I pay £99 on hour for a cessna and I thought that was expensive :scared:

Was hoping to the same as u as in part time flying in oz once I got my licence, seems a glorified bus driver is what I can expect. Oh well, at least the views will be good lol.

Good luck with ur lessons and maybe i'll pass u by in the air some day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.