Pills by post?

Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pills by post?

I'm looking for a definitive answer here - preferably from someone who has done it before!
Is it legal for someone in the UK to send non-prescription, over-the-counter medicine by post to Australia? I'm not talking large quantities, just a packet now and then of something like Flu_plus or Piriton.

I've searched the Royal Mail site - which has no info at all that I can see - and the Aus Post site - which mentions prescription drugs, narcotics and poisons. I believe theres a restriction on sending drugs in that are on prescription here, even if not in their country of origin, but I'm talking about just stuff that would be OTC in both places.

I know people are going to say there are lots of similar things available here, but I'm sure most people, wherever they are from, have their pet cold/flu remedies, and whether its psychological or not, they work. So, leaving aside the argument "you're in Oz, use Aussie medicine" - does anyone know the answer?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:14 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pills by post?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm looking for a definitive answer here - preferably from someone who has done it before!
Is it legal for someone in the UK to send non-prescription, over-the-counter medicine by post to Australia? I'm not talking large quantities, just a packet now and then of something like Flu_plus or Piriton.

I've searched the Royal Mail site - which has no info at all that I can see - and the Aus Post site - which mentions prescription drugs, narcotics and poisons. I believe theres a restriction on sending drugs in that are on prescription here, even if not in their country of origin, but I'm talking about just stuff that would be OTC in both places.

I know people are going to say there are lots of similar things available here, but I'm sure most people, wherever they are from, have their pet cold/flu remedies, and whether its psychological or not, they work. So, leaving aside the argument "you're in Oz, use Aussie medicine" - does anyone know the answer?
Try this Poll, I cant find a definate answer but there contact detailss of people who should be able to help.

One thing I noticed over there was they seen to be a lot more strict on pseudoephedrine which is in sudafed decongestants and the like, I am not sure that you would be able to post anything with that in it.

Cheers
Kala

Cheers
Kala
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

jodesmc will become famous soon enoughjodesmc will become famous soon enough

Hiya Polly,
My mum used to send me Wyld for women in the post to Uk as she thought i needed a boost, and it arrived ok, and not even opened. So should be ok, i'd think?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pollyanna
Just to let you know that Piriton is available here (I'm a nurse and dish it out on a regular basis), but not called Piriton, it goes by its chemical name, so you need to ask for Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg tablets at the pharmacy.
Sue
Old Sep 29th 2004, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

no problem for my riend having calpol sent out for her children on regular basis, so would give it a go and see

Teresa
Old Sep 29th 2004, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering about the very same thing, only mine was prescription.
I managed to bring enough for me to last a while, but now i am running out and have been to the Doctors here and have been told that they don't have it and was wondering whether there was any way that i can get hold of it.
Doctor has told me I can get Patches or tablets, but I had trouble with both in the UK and would like to stick to the same thing.

Its called OESTROGEL, and comes in 80 gram gel.

If anyone can help, I will be eternally grateful.

Whisky
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueandIan
Hi Pollyanna
Just to let you know that Piriton is available here (I'm a nurse and dish it out on a regular basis), but not called Piriton, it goes by its chemical name, so you need to ask for Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg tablets at the pharmacy.
Sue
Thanks Sue, Piriton probably wasn't the best example - I have been given something called Polaramine which they tell me is Chlor....etc etc ! However, I don't find it works as well, which is strange.
The one I really want is Beechams flu-plus, I know I'm odd but after trying everything here, that is the only thing that works. Theres also a couple of creams/ointments that Boots do, of which there is apparently no equivalent here.
Teresa - if you can get Calpol posted, I reckon Flu-plus should be OK, we'll give it a go!
Many thanks everyone.

Whisky, I'm not sure what to suggest, unless your Uk doctor will issue a prescription without seeing you; get someone there to collect it, and then risk posting and hope for the best. Giid to ee you back online by the way - hows the restaurant?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Polly,

Not sure what I am going to do about the prescription.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but I am having terrible trouble with expats. One minute I can reply, the next it is telling me to log in. I nearly gave up again tonight and switched off.
I have been looking at expats occasionally, but to reply has been a nightmare.
Last night I swore that I wouldn't even try again.

The restaurant is okay, but will be glad when Summer is at full swing. Have got a few problems with staff, but we have decided to get that sorted this week. Sick of the messing about, so there may be a couple of jobs going if anyone is interested.

Things are a bit iffy at the moment. Not because we don't like Oz, but just problems and difficulties of being new to this country and trying to start again.
I am sure that things will work out soon.
I will email you soon, but would depress you at the moment, so will leave it a while.

Whisky