British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   piece of string, an 'all (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/piece-string-all-441315/)

winedonju Apr 11th 2007 9:50 am

piece of string, an 'all

I know that this is prob one of those impossible to answer questions.BUT:o , on average how long does it take for a visa....from start to finish. And does it differ with which type of visa, and you you use an agency. Am looking at a skills visa, using an agency.
Cheers,
Donna:thumbup:

Donna&Neil Apr 11th 2007 10:00 am

Re: piece of string, an 'all

Hi Donna, piece of string is fairly apt. We applied for a skilled visa (after skills assessment) May 06, visa arrived Feb 07. No agent used. Patience is hugely needed and it can be fairly frustrating , but well worth the wait.
Good luck.:thumbsup:

Donna

winedonju Apr 11th 2007 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil (Post 4625534)
Hi Donna, piece of string is fairly apt. We applied for a skilled visa (after skills assessment) May 06, visa arrived Feb 07. No agent used. Patience is hugely needed and it can be fairly frustrating , but well worth the wait.
Good luck.:thumbsup:

Donna

Did you find it easy to do, what with having no agent. Am still not sure which way to do it, as my OH is skilled and comes under the modl, BUT has not got any qualifications, as none is needed in UK. Would you mind telling me about the skills assesment?
Donna.

Wendy Apr 11th 2007 10:08 am

Originally Posted by winedonju (Post 4625570)
Did you find it easy to do, what with having no agent. Am still not sure which way to do it, as my OH is skilled and comes under the modl, BUT has not got any qualifications, as none is needed in UK. Would you mind telling me about the skills assesment?
Donna.

Why not just employ an agent to help you with the skills assessment if that's the part you are worried about?. :)

Donna&Neil Apr 11th 2007 10:15 am

Originally Posted by winedonju (Post 4625570)
Donna.

Hi Donna ours was reasonably simple, from the skills assessment, as we are both registered nurses. Wendy is right if there is an issue that will effect your visa application, you should seek professional assistance. Hope this helps.

Donna

mashy Apr 11th 2007 10:19 am

Originally Posted by winedonju (Post 4625495)
I know that this is prob one of those impossible to answer questions.BUT:o , on average how long does it take for a visa....from start to finish. And does it differ with which type of visa, and you you use an agency. Am looking at a skills visa, using an agency.
Cheers,

Got 136 skilled independent and it took 10 months without an agent from TRA to Visa Grant.

Dorothy Apr 11th 2007 11:55 am

Applied for TRA in October '05, 136 visa granted July '06. No agents involved. It could have been quicker but we had a problem getting my son's passport for some reason and it delayed us by a few weeks.

Find the sun Apr 11th 2007 4:25 pm

Our skills assessment took longer than the visa. ACS (RPL) took 4 months and visa (136 skilled indep) 31/2 months. And we frontloaded PCC's and Meds. Nothing moves as fast as you want but its worth it in the end!

Good luck.

curly Apr 11th 2007 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by winedonju (Post 4625495)
Cheers,

Hi, ours took 9 months from TRA to visa grant, using an agent.

Fiona&malc Apr 12th 2007 2:49 am

ours took 11 months from TRA to Visa Grant using an agent.

(however that was in 2004, i think things can be a lot quicker now)

marco121068 Apr 12th 2007 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc (Post 4629921)
ours took 11 months from TRA to Visa Grant using an agent.

(however that was in 2004, i think things can be a lot quicker now)

take a look at www.austimeline.com and see others' progress.