Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pickfords and no forwarding address

Pickfords and no forwarding address

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:52 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Pickfords and no forwarding address

we are using pickfords. spoke to them today.

They want an address in brisbane area for someone to recieve the cargo, trouble is we dont have an address as of yet because we have been advised to get rental when we arrive.

They wont ship our boxes until we provide them with the details......is this common practice ?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice
Default Re: Pickfords and no forwarding address

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
we are using pickfords. spoke to them today.

They want an address in brisbane area for someone to recieve the cargo, trouble is we dont have an address as of yet because we have been advised to get rental when we arrive.

They wont ship our boxes until we provide them with the details......is this common practice ?
Rather annoyingly yes - they all do this! We were lucky enough to know someone vaguely out there who would let us use their address. Basically there is never the likelihood that the shipping will arrive before you have your own address, and you simply update it with the removals company when you get one, but they can't send the stuff on a container without a destination address initially.
How long until you leave?? Do you have work already organised? If you have maybe get in touch with them and use that address so it'll get shipped then work out the rest when you have a house sorted and the shipping is on route
Hope that helps a bit
Emma
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:27 am
Just Joined

londongrady is just really nicelondongrady is just really nicelondongrady is just really nicelondongrady is just really nicelondongrady is just really nicelondongrady is just really nicelondongrady is just really nicelondongrady is just really nice

Hello,

I work for Pickfords - a way around this if you do not have a full residential address at the moment is to give the address of the hotel /serviced apartment where you intend to stay upon arrival in Brisbane - you can then update once you have a rental contract or purchase organised.
The goods can then be shipped.

This requirement is imposed by Australian Customs - not removal companies.

If you have any questions or I can assist further, then please mail me on
[email protected]
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:31 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Just stick a pin in the map and dont forget to update them once you have a real address.....
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Hi,
I agree with Londongrady, its for aus customs, we use our physical address in perth for any client that hasn't got an aus address, common practice over here, I often have clients consignments with no aus address.

I lodge sea cargo using our physical address with no problems at all.

P.s. sounds like your removal company are just being picky for the sake of it.

Sally
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:47 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

i must admit and not for the sake of argument - we didn't have to give a full physical address

our 40 container left the middle east in May with only camden/campbelltown as a forwarding address

When the shipment arrived Kents called us and said 'where do you want it delivered love?'

Guess we were lucky
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:47 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

We used Pickfords and just gave our Hotel address as has already been mentioned.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:40 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
We used Pickfords and just gave our Hotel address as has already been mentioned.
I just gave Perth 6000 with the destination port being Fremantle.
When it was nearer they wanted a real address, so i arranged a storage unit in rockingham whilst i waited to get a real address. Alternatively pickfords could store it for you at a cost until you are ready to recieve it.