Reload this Page >

Physics graduate working in Australia

Physics graduate working in Australia

Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

TheSingingMute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Physics graduate working in Australia

Hi all,

I'm only currently in my first year of Uni (Sheffield) but I'm looking to hopefully work in Australia when I graduate (I'll be leaving with a bachelors) for at least a year. I was just wondering if anyone has any stories/knows anybody who's been through this kind of situation before, or if anyone can point me in the direction of any useful links. I've been told that if I were to work there then it would have to be in a Physics-specific area, however I'd rather not work in that field - is it likely they'll only accept me if I only find work related to physics?

EDIT: I have nothing in regards to visas or anything like that sorted, I've only just started thinking about this so I know it's probably a vague question.

Thanks in advance,
James

Last edited by TheSingingMute; Oct 8th 2012 at 12:49 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physics graduate working in Australia

I am struggling a little to make sense of the advice you were given, I am trying to work out what visa they might have been referring to that would mean you had to work in physics.

Running through the options, the working holiday visa is the most likely visa you would qualify for and this does not restrict the type of work you do. You are however unlikely to secure any kind of new graduate job as a WHV holder.

I would be surprised if a physics degree would enable you to get the skilled migrant visa, so this one is probably not an option. But it still wouldn't restrict the type of work the holder can do.

Finally there are employer sponsored via, but these are very rare amongst graduates. In fact on paper, graduates do not seem to meet the criteria for it, but i have come across the odd person who has managed sponsorship as a graduate, in geology I think. If you were to get a job and employer sponsorship on the back of your degree, then in that case, you would be doing a physics related job.

Or have you already got a visa perhaps? That would make things easier!

Edit: just seen the comment on visas so strike th least sentence.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Oct 8th 2012 at 8:32 pm. Reason: sp
Old Oct 8th 2012, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi Burmudashorts thanks for the reply,

I myself am lost when it comes to this stuff, I've only recently started looking into it and I didn't realise there was so many guidelines and criteria and whatnot. My mum lived in Australia for a while but I'm guessing it was a lot different back ~30 years ago.

Had a look at the WHV you mentioned and it says a stay of up to 12 months which sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for (although 12-24 would be ideal). It says I could work 6 months with each employer which isn't too bad as I won't be looking to start a career - only to get a job to pay for the year. I'm wanting to stay in Australia for a bit as I'd love to experience different countries (the plan is to do a year or so in Australia then the same time in the USA, then off to non-English speaking countries) before I get into the slog of a career where I'll most likely be stuck in the UK for a very long time.

I'll look more into the WHV so thanks for that. Seems that getting sponsored is a long shot, if only I knew somebody close that could put in a good word for me over there!
Old Oct 8th 2012, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheSingingMute
Had a look at the WHV you mentioned and it says a stay of up to 12 months which sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for (although 12-24 would be ideal). It says I could work 6 months with each employer which isn't too bad as I won't be looking to start a career - only to get a job to pay for the year. I'm wanting to stay in Australia for a bit as I'd love to experience different countries (the plan is to do a year or so in Australia then the same time in the USA, then off to non-English speaking countries) before I get into the slog of a career where I'll most likely be stuck in the UK for a very long time.

I'll look more into the WHV so thanks for that. Seems that getting sponsored is a long shot, if only I knew somebody close that could put in a good word for me over there!
If this is what you are looking to do, then the WHV fits the bill very well. If you do some regional work e.g. farming, fruit picking you can get a second WHV and thus extend the stay to 24 months.

The situation I haev seen over and over again, is the new graduate that goes on a WHV expecting to start a career or wanting to stay for good, but finding that there is no route for them to do either of these things and being extremely disappointed. It sounds like your expectations are a bit more grounded, in which case this might work out very well for you.

Good luck.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

LittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud of

I think you will struggle to find a visa that allows you to do a year in the USA - they don't have a WHV or similar scheme over there.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 12:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I'm only currently in my first year of Uni (Sheffield) but I'm looking to hopefully work in Australia when I graduate (I'll be leaving with a bachelors) for at least a year. I was just wondering if anyone has any stories/knows anybody who's been through this kind of situation before, or if anyone can point me in the direction of any useful links. I've been told that if I were to work there then it would have to be in a Physics-specific area, however I'd rather not work in that field - is it likely they'll only accept me if I only find work related to physics?

EDIT: I have nothing in regards to visas or anything like that sorted, I've only just started thinking about this so I know it's probably a vague question.

Thanks in advance,
James

There's very very little high technology work in Australia - I know from bitter first hand experience. So I would seriously think before considering Australia as a place viable for a long term Physics career, unless you want to teach it.

However, that said, if you are just looking for a year or two, with no long term ambitions, then there's probably very little wrong with a WHV and seeing how you go with that. But don't assume that you will be able to work in your field during that time - You're probably better off trying to find bar or coffee shop work.

S
Old Oct 9th 2012, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
There's very very little high technology work in Australia - I know from bitter first hand experience. So I would seriously think before considering Australia as a place viable for a long term Physics career, unless you want to teach it.

However, that said, if you are just looking for a year or two, with no long term ambitions, then there's probably very little wrong with a WHV and seeing how you go with that. But don't assume that you will be able to work in your field during that time - You're probably better off trying to find bar or coffee shop work.

S
Hi Swervo,

The thing is I basically want to just experience Australia for about 12/24 months so not working in the physics field is absolutely fine (in fact I'd rather not work in that field). Finding any kind of work will be good over there, I'm just wondering how they will accept my application to stay in Aussie land as I hear they are quite strict with who thye accept.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 4:14 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
James
You need a WHV James.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Swervo,

The thing is I basically want to just experience Australia for about 12/24 months so not working in the physics field is absolutely fine (in fact I'd rather not work in that field). Finding any kind of work will be good over there, I'm just wondering how they will accept my application to stay in Aussie land as I hear they are quite strict with who thye accept.
You seem to have contradicted yourself there, you talk about wanting 12-24 months in Australia which is fine... but then you mention an application to stay there? What do you mean by that? What application to stay there?
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You seem to have contradicted yourself there, you talk about wanting 12-24 months in Australia which is fine... but then you mention an application to stay there? What do you mean by that? What application to stay there?
Hi sorry ignore that last sentence - I was basically trying to ask if WHV are a definite, as in will they still carefully go over my credentials for it or is it a case of applying and receiving?
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi sorry ignore that last sentence - I was basically trying to ask if WHV are a definite, as in will they still carefully go over my credentials for it or is it a case of applying and receiving?
It is pretty easy to get a WHV. You would have to have done something really bad to be turned down.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Brilliant sounds like that's the way forward, thanks a lot for all the help made it nice and crystal for me