Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

are phone cards in oz a rip off?

Wikiposts

are phone cards in oz a rip off?

Old Jun 24th 2006, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of
Default are phone cards in oz a rip off?

Can anyone let us know the cheapest way to ring a uk mobile phone? what are these phone cards that everyone says lasts for ages?

Just bought a "call plus" phone card today, the sales assistant showed us the call rates and we were supposed to get 57 minutes to uk mobiles for $10. used it to ring my daughter and used up 15 mins so should have 42 mins left...only got 15 mins left and $3 credit left on it. What is happening, anyone know?

Marie
Old Jun 24th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are phone cards in oz a rip off?

Originally Posted by robert cowan
Can anyone let us know the cheapest way to ring a uk mobile phone? what are these phone cards that everyone says lasts for ages?

Just bought a "call plus" phone card today, the sales assistant showed us the call rates and we were supposed to get 57 minutes to uk mobiles for $10. used it to ring my daughter and used up 15 mins so should have 42 mins left...only got 15 mins left and $3 credit left on it. What is happening, anyone know?

Marie
Hi,
We use a phone card (I think its GPS or similar) and we get about an hour to a uk landline for $1. I haven't checked out any others as I just keep recharging this one. Check out this website:
http://www.phonecardselector.com.au/...tomer/home.php

you can put in which country you want to call and also whether landline or mobile and it gives you the different rates. I don't usually call mobiles as I'm sure it'll be expensive whether you use a card or not!

Good luck!
Old Jun 24th 2006, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Marie
I use Voice Over IP. I pay about 19c an hour to the UK. I pay 10c untimed calls anywhere in Aus (Landlines only)

If you want to know more head on over to

Whirlpool.net.au VOIP Guide

Been using VOIP now for 9 months. Major savings and better than phone cards.

KS
Old Jun 24th 2006, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

we use "anytime" phonecard from optus at 2.5c a minute which is is very good as have no line probs, we use it alot and if you renew it $30 or $50 you ger 10% free
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:11 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Marie
Hi Marie,
We had exactly the same when we got here until sales assistant suggested that we go into vodafone. We did just that and got a cheap pay as you go mobile. We were getting 10 mins for $3, to landlines and mobiles. Saved us heaps.
Hope this helps.
Sarah