Pets

Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

XXXX_HOLLY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pets

Hi,

I was wondering what are people's experience with taking thier pets over with them. I have 2 cats and apart from the cost I am worried about the flights they will have to go on.

I have also noticed when i have been over there, there does not appear to be many cats outside (compared to UK) do they tend to keep them indoors?

Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets

Try a search, there are tons of threads about taking pets over.

As to cats over here - most that I know of are outside cats, which come in for curfew at night time (to protect local wildlife). I know very few people who have totally inside cats, unless they live in city centres.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Mine are going to be indoor cats, same as they are now. They have no common sense whatsoever, knowing one of them he'd see a car as something moving to play with - ooh look, it would be a really good game to chase this round moving thing
Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

Appreciate some advice about dogs we have a border collie apart from the cost he is a nervous wreck ,scared of hs own shadow any good transporting companies, and advice would appreciate it loads
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nicolamoon
Appreciate some advice about dogs we have a border collie apart from the cost he is a nervous wreck ,scared of hs own shadow any good transporting companies, and advice would appreciate it loads
Hiya sorry not sure where you are coming from and heading to but we used Pet Travel Services who are based in Fife in Scotland and they organised the lot. Out wee dog Zara flew over two weeks before we did, went to quarantine in Perth and we organised an internal flight with Jet Pets from Perth to Adelaide.

Apart from being a wee bit thin and a wee bit smelly (normal kennel type smell) she was fine. She was a not quite herself for the first couple of weeks but she quickly got back to normal and it hasnt unduly affected her one way or another.

Best thing we ever done bringing her, could not have settled without her as would have missed her way too much, she makes it all feel normal.

Good luck

Nikki
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:16 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

With an extremely heavy heart we re-homed both of our cats. One of whom has such a personality we'll never get another like him and it kills me just to write about it.

But, with the uncertainties of what may or may not happen it seemed unfair to ship him over and ship him back again if it didn't work out, plus we know where and who he's now with and he'll be truelly loved and taken care of. Our other female cat went to a couple who had some kittens off us and shes doing really well and have been to see her so we're reassured she'll be ok.

I still don't know if we've done the right thing and at the moment it doesn't seem like it. As long as they're ok I'm happy though.

The only positive I can take from it is that it's one less stressful thing to worry about and one less thing to deal with in Oz.

Off to bed, it's been a sad day.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, I really feel for you - they are part of your family and it must be really hard to make that decision.

As far as personality goes, my old two boys were right royal characters - I trod on one of them once (by accident obviously!) and really hurt the poor lad, he was really lame for a few days and got loads and loads of fuss as a result, so every time he got told off for anything after that, even years later, he would look at me, squeak (never could miaow properly) and limp

I never thought another cat would have personalities like them, but the two I have now, my god, HUGE personalities, absolutely enormous. I personally think that if you get a cat (or any animal for that matter) when its young, and allow its personality to develop in its own way, you'll have an animal with serious character.

You won't have one with the same personality, but you will have one with the same amount. Like you say, you know they're safe, you know they will be loved. You can't ask for more.
Niki xx
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:32 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NikiL
Dave, I really feel for you - they are part of your family and it must be really hard to make that decision.

As far as personality goes, my old two boys were right royal characters - I trod on one of them once (by accident obviously!) and really hurt the poor lad, he was really lame for a few days and got loads and loads of fuss as a result, so every time he got told off for anything after that, even years later, he would look at me, squeak (never could miaow properly) and limp

I never thought another cat would have personalities like them, but the two I have now, my god, HUGE personalities, absolutely enormous. I personally think that if you get a cat (or any animal for that matter) when its young, and allow its personality to develop in its own way, you'll have an animal with serious character.

You won't have one with the same personality, but you will have one with the same amount. Like you say, you know they're safe, you know they will be loved. You can't ask for more.
Niki xx
Thanks for your reply Niki. It's not been a decision we took lightly and in time it's one we'll know we were right to take.

But, I doubt whether we'll ever own another cross-eyed faulty pedigree (runt of the litter so wrong size, colour, can't meow properly) with a liking for bringing back plastic bags and so soft he makes Andrex feel like broken glass.

We had him from a kitten so it's made it even harder.

Dave
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bengals.

Chirrup, squeak, climb everything, get into everything, adore plastic bags, love water (climb in the shower with you) coat feels like silk and monster size personalities! Total nutters, love 'em to bits

Have a look at this forum - tells you everything you need to know about Bengals - but they are a handful. Still wouldn't be without them.

http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mind you, the whole family look like self harmers from where they climb up you
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:40 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

Originally Posted by NikiL
Mind you, the whole family look like self harmers from where they climb up you
lol....
Ours were Somali's, I'd never heard of them before but glad we had them.

Will check out the Bengals and may look into another cat if we settle ok.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
Hiya sorry not sure where you are coming from and heading to but we used Pet Travel Services who are based in Fife in Scotland and they organised the lot.

Nikki
Thanks for that bit of info, Im in Fife and had no idea we had something like this anywhere near us
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Will check out the Bengals and may look into another cat if we settle ok.
You have to get 2! 1 gets bored on its own & a bored Bengal is a destructive Bengal

but they are so fantastic......... even though I can't have a shower on my own anymore
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

Isa this a cat only thread or do the canis corpulus felinis forum get a mention:curse:
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry hon, went off a bit.

Golden Arrow seem to have a very good reputation, as do airpets and jetpets.

If you do an advanced search through the Australia forums there are absolutely loads of posts on pet transport. Its well worth reading Toby's story - it will explain the Australian Air Express signature that a lot of people have now - absolutely awful and did make us think (and others) long and hard about taking our boys.

Professional Princess used to work as a vet nurse (PP, sorry if I've got it wrong and you still do) and she had some very good pointers for export companies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.