Pets

Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice
Question Pets

were still deciding wether to take our shih tzu to Perth and although i'm worried about the flight and quarantine I think he will be ok but am i being silly thinking he might get bit by a spider or a snake. I can't imagine being without him. Does anybody know of any pets that have been bitten and died
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:47 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pets

Originally Posted by bev1
were still deciding wether to take our shih tzu to Perth and although i'm worried about the flight and quarantine I think he will be ok but am i being silly thinking he might get bit by a spider or a snake. I can't imagine being without him. Does anybody know of any pets that have been bitten and died
it can happen, but if you get then to a vet in time they will administer the anti-venom. they usually pull through after that.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
it can happen, but if you get then to a vet in time they will administer the anti-venom. they usually pull through after that.
he also loves spiders so thats great for the big ones that dont bite but for the little suckers that do, he'll be in trouble. OH I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:05 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

he also loves spiders so thats great for the big ones that dont bite but for the little suckers that do, he'll be in trouble. OH I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!
up to you.

can you afford to take him? how will you feel about getting rid of him? can you handle that? how old is he? can you afford all the vetinary checks and test in order to take him?

it's all up to you. i'm affraid you are the only one who can answer that question.

others have brought their dogs and most have been fine.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
up to you.

can you afford to take him? how will you feel about getting rid of him? can you handle that? how old is he? can you afford all the vetinary checks and test in order to take him?

it's all up to you. i'm affraid you are the only one who can answer that question.

others have brought their dogs and most have been fine.
I'll afford it somehow, if i could get someone to look after him and i knew they'd love him like us then i would consider leaving him , he was stung by a wasp a couple of months ago and he cried like a baby for 20 minutes. I think i'm being selfish bringing him , I'll just have to thick carefully

Thanks for advice by the way
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:20 pm
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bev,

We're taking out two cats, and one of them in particular just luuurves the bugs. In the summer she must eat at least one bee/wasp/fly/spider/etc per day. God only knows what she'll be like in Oz.

I'll feel bad if she is bitten and dies while we're there, but perhaps not as bad as if I left her because it was a potential risk.

Also the missus had read somewhere that some animals are immune from some of the venom anyhow.

I spoke with a few people who have said that the animals seems to avoid the nasties once out there, even if they played with/chased/ate them back in the UK. It's perhaps an instinct thing. One said "it's like they just know to leave them alone".
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DMH
Hi Bev,

We're taking out two cats, and one of them in particular just luuurves the bugs. In the summer she must eat at least one bee/wasp/fly/spider/etc per day. God only knows what she'll be like in Oz.

I'll feel bad if she is bitten and dies while we're there, but perhaps not as bad as if I left her because it was a potential risk.

Also the missus had read somewhere that some animals are immune from some of the venom anyhow.

I spoke with a few people who have said that the animals seems to avoid the nasties once out there, even if they played with/chased/ate them back in the UK. It's perhaps an instinct thing. One said "it's like they just know to leave them alone".
thats good to know, It can't be that bad as people just wouldn't have pets, I watch a programme on venom not affecting dogs
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:53 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Just bring them, they'll be fine. Animals adapt quicker then people IMHO!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:34 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

I have a bug eating dog (lol) - she is still coming with us ...
... she is one of the family and neither she nor i would be happy if she stayed behind!
if we have any problems we will deal with them as and when they arise.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:41 pm
Home Owner

Driver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud of

I'll afford it somehow, if i could get someone to look after him and i knew they'd love him like us then i would consider leaving him , he was stung by a wasp a couple of months ago and he cried like a baby for 20 minutes. I think i'm being selfish bringing him , I'll just have to thick carefully

Thanks for advice by the way

PM sent