British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Pets (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pets-492562/)

bev1 Nov 8th 2007 12:44 pm

Pets

were still deciding wether to take our shih tzu to Perth and although i'm worried about the flight and quarantine I think he will be ok but am i being silly thinking he might get bit by a spider or a snake. I can't imagine being without him. Does anybody know of any pets that have been bitten and died :( :( :( :( :( :(

Sheff_Sparky Nov 8th 2007 12:47 pm

Re: Pets

Originally Posted by bev1 (Post 5527971)
were still deciding wether to take our shih tzu to Perth and although i'm worried about the flight and quarantine I think he will be ok but am i being silly thinking he might get bit by a spider or a snake. I can't imagine being without him. Does anybody know of any pets that have been bitten and died :( :( :( :( :( :(

it can happen, but if you get then to a vet in time they will administer the anti-venom. they usually pull through after that.

bev1 Nov 8th 2007 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky (Post 5527982)
it can happen, but if you get then to a vet in time they will administer the anti-venom. they usually pull through after that.

he also loves spiders so thats great for the big ones that dont bite but for the little suckers that do, he'll be in trouble. OH I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

Sheff_Sparky Nov 8th 2007 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by bev1 (Post 5528017)
he also loves spiders so thats great for the big ones that dont bite but for the little suckers that do, he'll be in trouble. OH I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

up to you.

can you afford to take him? how will you feel about getting rid of him? can you handle that? how old is he? can you afford all the vetinary checks and test in order to take him?

it's all up to you. i'm affraid you are the only one who can answer that question.

others have brought their dogs and most have been fine.

bev1 Nov 8th 2007 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky (Post 5528039)
up to you.

can you afford to take him? how will you feel about getting rid of him? can you handle that? how old is he? can you afford all the vetinary checks and test in order to take him?

it's all up to you. i'm affraid you are the only one who can answer that question.

others have brought their dogs and most have been fine.

I'll afford it somehow, if i could get someone to look after him and i knew they'd love him like us then i would consider leaving him , he was stung by a wasp a couple of months ago and he cried like a baby for 20 minutes. I think i'm being selfish bringing him , I'll just have to thick carefully

Thanks for advice by the way

DMH Nov 8th 2007 1:20 pm

Hi Bev,

We're taking out two cats, and one of them in particular just luuurves the bugs. In the summer she must eat at least one bee/wasp/fly/spider/etc per day. God only knows what she'll be like in Oz.

I'll feel bad if she is bitten and dies while we're there, but perhaps not as bad as if I left her because it was a potential risk.

Also the missus had read somewhere that some animals are immune from some of the venom anyhow.

I spoke with a few people who have said that the animals seems to avoid the nasties once out there, even if they played with/chased/ate them back in the UK. It's perhaps an instinct thing. One said "it's like they just know to leave them alone".

bev1 Nov 8th 2007 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by DMH (Post 5528089)
Hi Bev,

We're taking out two cats, and one of them in particular just luuurves the bugs. In the summer she must eat at least one bee/wasp/fly/spider/etc per day. God only knows what she'll be like in Oz.

I'll feel bad if she is bitten and dies while we're there, but perhaps not as bad as if I left her because it was a potential risk.

Also the missus had read somewhere that some animals are immune from some of the venom anyhow.

I spoke with a few people who have said that the animals seems to avoid the nasties once out there, even if they played with/chased/ate them back in the UK. It's perhaps an instinct thing. One said "it's like they just know to leave them alone".

thats good to know, It can't be that bad as people just wouldn't have pets, I watch a programme on venom not affecting dogs

SunshineGirl Nov 8th 2007 2:53 pm

Just bring them, they'll be fine. Animals adapt quicker then people IMHO!

Tiggs+Graz Nov 8th 2007 3:34 pm

I have a bug eating dog (lol) - she is still coming with us ...
... she is one of the family and neither she nor i would be happy if she stayed behind!
if we have any problems we will deal with them as and when they arise.

Driver_Once_More Nov 8th 2007 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by bev1 (Post 5528063)
I'll afford it somehow, if i could get someone to look after him and i knew they'd love him like us then i would consider leaving him , he was stung by a wasp a couple of months ago and he cried like a baby for 20 minutes. I think i'm being selfish bringing him , I'll just have to thick carefully

Thanks for advice by the way

PM sent