Pets

Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:59 pm
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of
Question Pets

Hi. We have a dog and five cats. We will probably bring the dog to Australia if our application is successful.

I am counting on it costing the best part of a grand with sorting out pet passport, transportation and kennelling for a month (?) when she reaches Australia.

Regarding the cats, i am assuming the costs will be about the same. Recently an Indonesian colleague was going to pay about £500 just for transporting her cat to Jakarta.

Has anybody out there got any relevant experiences/information please? Ideally a five for one deal for the cats! ;o)

Cheers
Karl
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pets

Originally Posted by Karl & Ann
Hi. We have a dog and five cats. We will probably bring the dog to Australia if our application is successful.

I am counting on it costing the best part of a grand with sorting out pet passport, transportation and kennelling for a month (?) when she reaches Australia.

Regarding the cats, i am assuming the costs will be about the same. Recently an Indonesian colleague was going to pay about £500 just for transporting her cat to Jakarta.

Has anybody out there got any relevant experiences/information please? Ideally a five for one deal for the cats! ;o)

Cheers
Karl
Hi Karl,

We're taking our ESS to Tasmania from Edinburgh. Using Par Air Services in Colchester and its costing £1449, approx A$700 for quarantine plus vet fees prior to shipping for boosters,microchip and blood tests.

Hope this helps, Peter
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:35 pm
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

Thanks Peter. Not sure what an ESS is - ??? springer spaniel? Ours is a small collie cross - 17kg/2.5 stone. I presume size/cargo space plays a factor in the cost.

Regards
Karl
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

wallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Pets

Hi not 100% sure about this perhaps somebody else can confirm i think cats are not aloud to roam in australia they must be kept caged this is what our friend in queensland was saying anyway not sure if you allready knew this ?
but hope it opens up a bit more thought if not
Cheers WW
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:59 pm
Professional Princess

Cheers
Karl
With regards to your cats, they are not native to Australia and when allowed to roam freely in certain areas, cause devastation with the wildlife.

I always remember one woman saying when I worked at Currumbin a year and a half ago, 'My cat killed a cockatoo this morning, its nature isnt it?'

I could have slapped her. If we are talking nature, then lets let next doors dog tear her cat apart.

Depending on where you are living, its worth respecting the local wildlife and keeping your cat inside or at least in a cat pen outside.

Alot of the Aussies I met, didnt like cats after finding lorikeets half eaten in their garden.

With regards to shipping, I was quoted £1,000 for my one cat, which gave me a heart attack.

We will bring him though - God knows it will cost.

If you have a search on here, I posted a while ago, details of shipping companies and other websites you might find useful.

If I find it I shall bump the thread for you.

It will be expensive to export your animals, but if you can afford it and are a responsible pet owner, then good luck with everything.

As an ex vet nurse, I love hearing about success stories of pet migration.

Samantha

Par Air Livestock Shipping Services
Tel: 01206 33 03 32
www.parair.co.uk

Animal Airlines
Tel: 0870 833 80 20

Ladyhaye International Pet Travel Agents
Tel: 01342 832 161
www.ladyhaye.co.uk

www.moggies.co.uk

www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine

www.petplanet.co.uk

www.affa.gov.au

Last edited by Professional Princess; Mar 21st 2005 at 10:04 pm.

Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

Thanks Peter. Not sure what an ESS is - ??? springer spaniel? Ours is a small collie cross - 17kg/2.5 stone. I presume size/cargo space plays a factor in the cost.

Regards
Karl
Sorry I should have said, right though she's an English Springer Spaniel.

The size of the dog does matter and you usually have to measure your pet, think its nose to base of tail and ground to head.

Cheers, Peter
Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:12 pm
A Mate

> i think cats are not aloud to roam in australia they must be kept caged <

Not True!! From time to time Councils make noises about registering cats
etc - but it never happens, probably because of the practical difficulties
involved in enforcing such rules!!!

Cats are a danger to native wild-life however. Feral cats (domestic cats
which have run wild) are a problem in some rural areas. There are no native
predators to control them!!!

<member27608@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    >> Hi. We have a dog and five cats. We will probably bring the dog to
    >> Australia if our application is successful.
    >> I am counting on it costing the best part of a grand with sorting out
    >> pet passport, transportation and kennelling for a month (?) when she
    >> reaches Australia.
    >> Regarding the cats, i am assuming the costs will be about the same.
    >> Recently an Indonesian colleague was going to pay about £500 just for
    >> transporting her cat to Jakarta.
    >> Has anybody out there got any relevant experiences/information please?
    >> Ideally a five for one deal for the cats! ;o)
    >> Cheers
    >> Karl
    > Hi not 100% sure about this perhaps somebody else can confirm i think
    > cats are not aloud to roam in australia they must be kept caged this is
    > what our friend in queensland was saying anyway not sure if you allready
    > knew this ?
    > but hope it opens up a bit more thought if not
    > Cheers WW
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:37 pm
Pasta Fari

Thanks everyone - particularly Samantha for all the links.

My sister-in-laws cat in Perth was not caged, and we did see quite a few others sunbathing. Maybe they were electronically tagged while out on parole ;o)

And i do remember reading a booklet from Dunsborough Shire Council which mentioned registering of cats as well as dogs.

Cheers
Karl
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:45 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wallabyWannabe
Hi not 100% sure about this perhaps somebody else can confirm i think cats are not aloud to roam in australia they must be kept caged this is what our friend in queensland was saying anyway not sure if you allready knew this ?
but hope it opens up a bit more thought if not
Cheers WW
Different areas and councils have different rules regarding pets. If you know where you will be living, find the councils web site. Most councils will have the pet regulations on their web sites.
Take for instance, many councils in Brisbane and surrounds have regulations on how many domestic animals you can own - Two dogs and two cats. If you want to keep above this number you need to apply for a licence to keep more, whether you'll get a licence or not is another thing.

You are absolutely correct about them not being legally allowed to roam .Most councils around Brisbane also do have a rule that cats must be contained on your own property ( obviously , unlike a dog you can't contain a cat in a garden without a cat run) - but not many people do abide by this rule ( many people don't even know about this rule - but you will find it in your councils regulations if you look) and choose to let their cats roam free. For instance - Pine Rivers shire is one that has this rule ( where I live). My cats are indoor pets, but most of my neighbours they let theirs roam.

Some areas ( which they are trying to get in now for some areas in the Pine shire and the Redlands- two major koala habitats in Brisbane) are going to restrict dogs next to koala habitat , due to the amount of dog attacks /deaths with Koalas. I live in a property which backs onto one of these koala habitats, and often have them on my own property. Dog attacks are one of the big threats to Koalas, besides cars, disease and loss of habitat

check out your council's website regarding any regulations - they all differ.

Good luck

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 23rd 2005 at 1:01 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I am pretty sure the law for our area is that cats must be locked up at night. We lock ours out, but there are plenty of people who don't (and these cats stand at the window and intimidate our cats (whimps). You are given a tag when you register your cat which has to be worn on the collar of the cat, which means if it's picked up, the owner can be identified. My little one catches and kills roaches and not much else which suits me.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:55 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I am pretty sure the law for our area is that cats must be locked up at night. We lock ours out, but there are plenty of people who don't (and these cats stand at the window and intimidate our cats (whimps). You are given a tag when you register your cat which has to be worn on the collar of the cat, which means if it's picked up, the owner can be identified. My little one catches and kills roaches and not much else which suits me.
Same here (Monash Council) $26 to register two for the year and tags for their collars supplied. As you say there are loads of cats who are out and about at night, we have one next door who regularly comes and sits on the laundry windowsill at night tormenting my two, usually much hissing and spitting and waving of handbags ensues through the window lol.

Regarding transporting them I used Airpets based just by Heathrow (Think they run an approved quarantine station there as well) cost £1100 all in for two mogs, boarding for a week prior to departure, airkennel, flights, paperwork etc.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Koza is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Shellfish
IYou are given a tag when you register your cat which has to be worn on the collar of the cat, which means if it's picked up, the owner can be identified..

And properly fined!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

Two Golden Retrievers UK to Melbourne £5000+ plus (includes injections, blood tests and chipping) and A$1100 30 days quarantine in Melbourne, plus any vets fees that are neccessary in quarantine. Golden Arrow Shippers who seem very efficient and friendly. Dogs are collected this Good Friday and fly out on tuesday next week, the week before we do.
Roger
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

wes27 is an unknown quantity at this point

is using an agent to migrate your dog necessary i was going to do it my self i'v got all the forms and info has anybody done this. got any advice?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

wes27 is an unknown quantity at this point

bump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.