Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Petrol Prices - Moan

Petrol Prices - Moan

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

rabbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Petrol Prices - Moan

I have been living in or around Perth since September last year. Things are going good, and we are enjoying life in a beautiful country but....

Why do local radio news bulletins put so much emphasis on the price of Petrol?

News headlines on a long drive to work start off with...

Breaking news...... Petrol to hit $1.10

Then....... 112 killed in Bahgdad bomb blast!

Get real, who gives a damn about the price of petrol, especially if it is shifting a few cents either way. There is more to worry about in the world.

Is this just me or does it annoy anyone else. It seems every radio news broadcast mentions the price of fuel.

Why are the Aussies so obsessed with the current price of oil. Start worrying when it gets well over $2 a litre matey!

Cheers,

Rabbie. (Now I've got that moan off my chest, I'll have a half)
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:35 pm
PommieLeague

Default Re: Petrol Prices - Moan

Originally Posted by rabbie
I have been living in or around Perth since September last year. Things are going good, and we are enjoying life in a beautiful country but....

Get real, who gives a damn about the price of petrol, especially if it is shifting a few cents either way. There is more to worry about in the world.

Is this just me or does it annoy anyone else. It seems every radio news broadcast mentions the price of fuel.

Why are the Aussies so obsessed with the current price of oil. Start worrying when it gets well over $2 a litre matey!

Cheers,

Couldnt agree more! Petrol, only 39p a litre!

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:44 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

Well seeing as you have heaps of money to not worry about a 15% rise in petrol cost over the last week spread some around will ya.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:45 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I believe when the Titanic sank the Perth news headline was:

Perth woman Drowns.

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:48 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bordy

Perth woman Drowns.

lol
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:52 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy

Perth woman Drowns.

Nah are wages over here are crap havent you heard, there is no way she could afford a ticket.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siren
Well seeing as you have heaps of money to not worry about a 15% rise in petrol cost over the last week spread some around will ya.
Your too posh. Your from the Northern Suburbs. Us Southern Labour voters believe in spreading the wealth. So I might send you some $$$ (Postal order or cash?)

My point was, forget the trivia, wake up to the wide world WA.

Cheers,

Rabbie (4 whiskys on from my original post).
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

More breaking news......

Whisky prices hit new high! $28.50 per litre.

Premium Unleaded Whisky - $30.25.....

Perhaps I should go to bed.

Goodnight,
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:49 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

More breaking news......

Whisky prices hit new high! $28.50 per litre.

Premium Unleaded Whisky - $30.25.....

Perhaps I should go to bed.

Goodnight,
Petrol and Whisky prices in Aus are hourly news not daily.....here in Syndey I listen to radio channels that tell me where to shop on every daily trip........in fact best deal we ever got.....15 cents off a litre if we bought 12 bottles! we worked that little deal into a full tank @$15.00 which was 1.5 free bottles of wine or 0.5 bottle of whiskey! ah the land of pay for petrol to drive through the bottle shop
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:08 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

All over the news in Vic the headlines in currently suggest that Webber chap has got the GP won already.. That's all we've been hearing the last two weeks or so
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:29 pm
Merlot

Sweet Mother, if they mentioned the rising cost of fuel over here in the UK on the radio into work, I would drive off the Transporter Bridge!!! :scared:

We have been back to the UK for 12 months and still have minor heart murmurs when filing up with petrol.

What I don't miss is the "Double Demerits" and "The Holiday Road Toll". Where else do you see a chart of how many have died on the roads over the Christmas Holidays, it has become as traditional as Santa.

I didn't help my family in Hamilton, Victoria move on with their lives when they lost my cousin Dale aged 21 years. They do need to scare us into being careful and slowing down, but they get a little too excited about it.

Merlot

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Because Austrlia is heavily dependant on road transport for everything, from food through to housing materials, that the price of fuel, dictates the cost of just about everything that can be transported.

Assimilation is the key.

Old Mar 4th 2005, 12:55 am
Badge

Can't say I have seen the petrol prices here in Melbourne - but I don't read the paper every day.

I do listen to ABC both in and out of work and they didn't say anything - I think..

BAdge

Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:53 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I use about 30 litres a week(that's driving 30 km's each way a day to work everyday).
With 95 cents a litre that is $28.50

With 102 cents it's $ 30.60.

And where I get petrol it's been about 98 cents, and hasn't actually changed much overal over the last 7 months.
Ok, some people might drive more, so it's more, but come on, for the average family, it's maybe $4 difference a week!!

And a while ago the prices went up to a 'staggering' 110 or so, but they were back to about 98 cents a week later!

I guess, it is a bit more of a problem for tradespeople driving heaps, but for the average family....

But then, I don't find the increased interest much either, but I guess everything added up together may be a bit much. (but peoples wages are rising a bit too though, surely?)
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:03 am
PommieLeague

Your too posh. Your from the Northern Suburbs. Us Southern Labour voters believe in spreading the wealth. So I might send you some $$$ (Postal order or cash?)

My point was, forget the trivia, wake up to the wide world WA.

Cheers,

Rabbie (4 whiskys on from my original post).
So you'd vote for Blair and Gallop? Oh dear.